Golleeee!! It’s the Revenuers!!!

Growing up, my aunt/godmother who hailed from Ware Shoals, SC would tell me about the “revenuers” who would try to find hidden stills in hills, since the bootleggers were making liquor that wasn’t taxed, and during Prohibition that was doubly illegal.  NASCAR grew out the souped up cars bootleggers would drive at breakneck speed to outrun the government men.

At times there was gun play, since both sides were very serious about their jobs. And now Fox News to pumping up the drama about armed IRS

thugs coming with their guns

to make sure you sign up for socialized medicine! WTF! Well, at least that’s what Ron Paul discussed with Fox Business Network, America’s Nightly Scoreboard host David Asman:

PAUL: I think symbolically, the American people didn’t have concern, they ought to just think about it: 16,500 armed bureaucrats coming to make this program work

ASMAN: It’s incredible.

PAUL: If it was a good program and everybody liked it you wouldn’t need 16,500 thugs coming with their guns and putting you in jail if you didn’t follow all the rules.

ASMAN: Exactly. I think you just said it. If it was a good program, you wouldn’t need coercion. This is coercion. Using the power of the state as a coercive body rather than a representative of the American people’s will. There’s something deepy, deeply wrong with that

Look, the health care bill isn’t what a lot of people on the right or left wanted–for different reasons–but freaking people out about armed IRS agents is just going to lead to Something Bad.

110 Responses to "Golleeee!! It’s the Revenuers!!!"
egregious | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:01 pm 1

Hi Lisa!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:01 pm 2

I loved the Beverly Hillbillies…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:01 pm 3

Hi egr! Happy LN

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:03 pm 4

Good evening, Lisa.
Pass me that ‘shine, won’t you dear?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:03 pm 5

I wish Fox would turn their hysteria down to 11

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:05 pm 6

They do, they lose.
They don’t, they probably get slaughtered.

egregious | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:06 pm 7

lol I did not know that about NASCAR

AZ Matt | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:07 pm 8

I wish they would just turn themselves off totally.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:07 pm 9

Great, just what we need, “The Dukes of Hazzard” for health insurance.

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:08 pm 10

Lisa !

Ahm ah fixin’ to do some gazintas …

cbl2 | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:11 pm 11
In response to egregious @ 7

well documented in a fab Tom Wolfe book; The Last American Hero

evenin’ all

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:12 pm 12
In response to cbl2 @ 11

I loved Mau Mauing the Flack Catchers. Very intense.

AZ Matt | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:15 pm 13
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 9

Don’t worry, the Arizona Senate voted today to let everyone carry concealed weapons without a permit. IRS will have to be very careful.

masslib | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:16 pm 14

This is becoming effing stupid. I am so tired of people saying this is “socialism”, or saying it’s like “civil rights”. it’s not any of those things. It preserves and tries to expand our private insurance system with a small regulatory role for the feds. That’s it!

cbl2 | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:16 pm 15

‘zactly. Been meaning to re read it, see if it’s held up and how much of it applies to our current political milieu

p.s. eee-doggies I love George Jones ! funny, so many of the little things that always make me happy eventually show up on these pages.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:17 pm 16
In response to Petrocelli @ 10

Does “gazintas” come from division/per centages, beause one number gazint another like 2 gazinta 23 11.5 times?

Petrocelli | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:19 pm 17

Jethro: 2 gazinta 6, three times. 3 gazinta 12, four times. 4 gazinta 20, five times … *g*

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:21 pm 18
In response to AZ Matt @ 13

Ugh. Forgive me if I don’t visit Arizona any time soon.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:23 pm 19
In response to AZ Matt @ 13

In CA you can open carry unloaded. You do need a license for concealed, and all guns must be bought through dealers.

Shotguns/long guns don’t require registration or proof of residency.

AZ Matt | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:26 pm 20

In Arizona you can open carry a loaded weapon. The Arizona House still has to take this up and the governor would have to sign it.

I tried the white lighting (no tax stamps) of Cherokee, North Carolina several years back and all I can say was one sip was enough!!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:30 pm 21
In response to Petrocelli @ 17

The only thin I gazinta is the cement pond! Percentages and fracions leading up to all those negative xs and postive ys which were over and real numbers were the beginning of the end of math for me…it was all “double infinity plus one neener” too hard for me. Like, “why? why does this matter and what purpose does it serve?” kept coming up in my head, and the whole “math is a language” thing didn’t work for me as philosophy of learning the quadratic equations stuff. I was FOIL-ed again (oaky I can make math jokes just not like add or count or remember my multiplication tables…)

TarheelDem | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:33 pm 22

Ware Shoals, SC. Wow, I grew up not far from there. And there was moonshining going on. The sheriff, not the revenuers was the prime enforcer of the law.

But in the late 1950s, there were two incidents that I remember because they were so — er, inventive.

One bootlegger sold out of an old Victorian house on the edge of the downtown of Anderson, SC. He had a storage tank in the attic that connected to the old gaslight tubing. When a customer came in, he held a jar up to the gas light and turned the tap. He got busted.

Another bootlegger figured a way to disguise his operation by doing it on a pig farm. The mash barrels were stored under the pigpen to hide the smell of fermentation. He still got busted.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:35 pm 23
In response to AZ Matt @ 20

I don’t really drink, so just I think just whiffing it would prolly be too much for me. Every country has their own moonshine…Ireland got poteen, from potatoes.

I am going to try making flavored herbal liqueurs, but NOT the boooze to go in them

Margot | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:37 pm 24

Same here, I never got that “math is language.”

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:37 pm 25

This whole thing is going to get uglier than the Hatfields and McCoys. I fully expect a repeat of the rightwing domestic terrorism we saw in the late 70s and again in the 90s. The rightwing hate mongers have them all ginned up and primed to explode, then they will deny all responsibility when they do.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:39 pm 26

My wife and love of 26 years, whom LOVES George Jones (been a point of contention for ages between us) would to thank you Lisa D for that clip. *G*

I gotta say, I’d never have thought I’d see that on FDL. *G*

But your thread and posits and linky’s are spot on.

Other than going back to REAL folks like Popcorn (and you woulda lost yer audience fast) you couldn’t have done better in positioning your posit.

Love yer woik!!! *G*

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:40 pm 27
In response to AZ Matt @ 20

Heh. We used to have moonshiners in NE Oklahoma back when I was in college. That shit would take the paint off a table clear down to the floor and the back of your head with it.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:40 pm 28
In response to TarheelDem @ 22

My aunt was born in 1915 and moved from Ware Shoals to Charleston circa 1935, then she, my uncle and my mom moved to West Coast in the late 40s. WS sounded pretty small. I have one relative who lives in Greenville, the rest of moved to TN.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:42 pm 29
In response to Larue @ 26

Thank you! I wanted to have some fun and glad it was appreciated. Along with Johnny Cash I like Hank Williams and Buck Owens, and of course Patsy.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:43 pm 30

Ok, now ya done gone too far . . . ;-)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:44 pm 31

I prison they make something called “pruno” using scrapes of bread and fruit or raisins as the yeast starter and then water as the base. It’s brewed in plastic trash bags.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:47 pm 32
In response to masslib @ 14

I hear ya, hoss, it’s really frustrating at face value, and then you spin the spin on top, and I wanna puke, vomit, or just do bad things online using cursive words.

Definitely, worse, than our prog awareness from the beat 50′s and the 60′s hippies.

If yer a boomer from ’50 or so, or earlier, the awareness has been there for a long time.

And as I have aged, it’s increasingly frustrating, how it’s all going, this country of ours.

Sigh.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:48 pm 33
In response to Larue @ 30

Is this the Popcorn you meant? she asks, her eyes wide…

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:48 pm 34

Yeah. In Oklahoma most of the moonshiners started turning to growing weed in the 70s. Bigger market and better profit margins. back then most of the growers did not smoke it (but their kids sure as hell did). They contacted their Italian buddies down in New Orleans or up in Kansas City and St. Louis (who had been running the bootlegging until Oklahoma repealed prohibition in 1958) to handle distribution.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:48 pm 35

Carry unloaded? What arms? Where? First I’ve EVER heard of this?!?!?!?!?

And I’ve never, since ’63, seen it happen.

So hence, my skepticism . . . really?

AZ Matt | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:49 pm 36

In Winslow, AZ about 10 years ago an old house was being torn down and they found a hidden room with the moonshine still hidden there. A surprise to everybody!

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:51 pm 37
In response to AZ Matt @ 36

Ours were mostly back in the woods deep in the hills where it was hard to go.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 08:57 pm 38

Hank, Buck And Patsy?

“You don’t know me but you don’t like me . . ”

*G*

If you were on later, I’d be Walkin After Midnight, darliing.

*G*

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:02 pm 39

The Tribulationz Iz A-Coming!

eagleye | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:03 pm 40

Sounds to me like that feller on TV is making a good case for keeping big gummint out of our lifestyle choices….

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:04 pm 41

Silly, of course not!! *G*

THIS Popcorn.

He was a legend, and is a figure the mountain and plains folk populous identify with in terms of stealing individual rights and killing those who lived on the outskirts of professed laws.

Popcorn is a hero thruout the East, SE, and Midwest.

A MAJOR hero, of the rural peoples.

PBS did a HUGE series on him, and that got him busted, and he committed suicide shortly after being busted from the airing of the PBS coverage.

This is within the last few years!!!! Not an old story.

Dude was true to his craft and story, and killed himself. And he LET PBS do his story, knowing he’d be popped, again.

Only urban folks don’t know of his story, and his popularity.

Course, us bluegrassers and pickers, it’s well known . . ;-)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:07 pm 42
In response to eagleye @ 40

wut, like birthing control and being homoseksul?!!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:08 pm 43
In response to Larue @ 41

wow, he sounds astounding…

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:17 pm 44

And now the Okies turned to meth, a decade or more ago.

Choctaw Bingo, It’s True

*G*

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:18 pm 45

Lisa we could have taxed the rich and avoided this. We could have ended both wars Ossama is in Pakistan not Iraq or Afghanistan anyway.
The Lake warned Obama about this.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:19 pm 46

He was, three generations of amazing and history he provided shine to.

A legend in the parts he was in. A hero.

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:19 pm 47
In response to Larue @ 44

Yeah, I know (my son still lives down there). They were already getting into it pretty big back in the late 80s when I left. Trust the Okies to be ahead of the curb on really bad ideas.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:20 pm 48

Six? companies make the key ingredients to meth that require complex manufacturing techniques stop them and we stop the Tea Baggers.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:21 pm 49

Two of my fav camping and fest buds and their families are from OK originally, both of them in their mid 50′s.

They’d give ya a BIG ayup, to that, Doc . . . *G*

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:22 pm 50

The Tea baggers get money from someplace any doubts Sarah from the Meth Capital of Alaska was not backed by crazy votes.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:22 pm 51

Okay confession: I am watching American Idol while doing this…last week as really trippy, this week not so much.

That aside, the right is creating this fear-based false floor, which if even a small percentage of their listeners dance upon, will open up a whole lots of ugly–the very things they scream about: additional surveillance, decrease in freedoms etc. The pendulum may sway further in one direction before it gets back to where we are now if people start acting like idiots.

Adam503 | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:25 pm 52

“Entice” Rupert Murdoch to sell Fox.

Word I hear is Murdoch #1 priority to save his newspaper business.

Sounds like it’s time to cut a deal. Government agrees to some newspaper industry save in exchange for putting Fox Films, Fox Network, and Fox News on the open market.

~~~fixed~~~

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:27 pm 53

Lisa, respectfully, many people already ARE acting like idiots, fueled by MSM. Look how much they covered teabaggers, but not the immigration march.

Spectacle!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:27 pm 54
In response to Adam503 @ 52

MGM is in bankrupcy, no buyers for the Culver City studio..heart breaking

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:28 pm 55
In response to Larue @ 49

I am in my late 50s and spent the first 35 years down there. Got out just before the lunatics took over the asylum.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:30 pm 56

Lisa, the manipulation of the right, or the left, by who knows WHAT forces (see government inspired) to incite violence and drive some one’s agenda is not new.

And yes, the time NOW is ripe and seemingly rife with the right wing crap.

We the people have to endure this . . . if you mean to say we are at an apex more so than in our country’s past, I’d likely wanna talk about that in greater detail.

But that we are in great peril as a nation from being totally shut down due to right wing behaviors, and that THAT in itself might be a goal of the corporate fascist structure that dominates our political process and economic process and employment process? Yeah, I’d pull that card.

Yes, we are at risk as a nation, but not only from the right. Not hardly, they are mere puppets.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:31 pm 57

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:32 pm 58
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 57

NO effigies.
NO death threats.
NO break-ins.
NO nothing.

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:33 pm 59
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 57

Yep. We catch all the flak, but the right has consistently been the ones indulging in brown shirt tactics.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:34 pm 60

Rednecks on Moonshine are not crazy? Meth Heads are not crazy Meth does not bring in cash to Sarah’s hometown? Enough cash for her to run for Governor Sarah was not rich when she ran for governor the first time? Where did she get the cash?
Sarah has building code issues Meth heads cooking Meth hate building inspectors looking for untaxed buildings off the grid. Like those cabins Sarah built without paying taxes for.
Buildings in the woods off the grid cops don’t know they are there to raid. Back in her hometown one of Sarah’s biggest supporters was a Libertarian type who hated building codes any bets getting Sarah elected meant the meth heads knew they could build cabins in the woods and Sarah would look the other way?
Most GOPers run against drugs yet Sarah Mayor of the Meth capital of Alaska did nothing silence speaks volumes.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:34 pm 61
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 53

Unbelievable. And not surprising at the same time.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:34 pm 62
In response to newtonusr @ 58

Yep! And at the risk of all Godwin and stuff, watch the clip; they just can’t help but call for the Night of Breaking Glass.

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:36 pm 63
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 62

They keep calling us fascists, but it is just normal rightwing projection. They are rapidly sliding across the line into outright fascism (not a charge I make lightly here).

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:36 pm 64
In response to Larue @ 56

I heartily concur. Armed uprising not the way to go, that will make it worse is what I’m saying.

some tea partiers actually have the same goals as progressives. others just want a better country. we need ot not shun all of them simply because some are Fox’s ear stuffed puppets

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:36 pm 65
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 60

It’s a wonder that ET keeps a veneer of sanity in that place.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:38 pm 66
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 60

Rudy created a template for GOPers clean up drugs win elections. That Sarah Mayor of the Meth Capital of Alaska did nothing suggests something Sarah is the Meth Candidate How much of her local economy was and is still dependent on Meth?

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:39 pm 67

I think we do need to shun them all as even the deluded but well intentioned are giving aid and comfort to the truly deranged. As a society we need to stand up and say that this behavior is totally unacceptable and we shun both those who commit such acts and those who associate with them.

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:40 pm 68
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 66

Without citing sources, which I do not have, there was a lot of talk that New York cops were literally unleashed on the city. Anything-goes was the rule.

Not stepping up for Palin in any way…

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:40 pm 69

Sure Larue and how does a non rich woman get elected Governor as a GOPer when her town is the Meth Capital of Alaska given the GOP’s stance on drugs?

DrDick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:40 pm 70

Time for me to toddle off. Has young minds to corrupt in the morning. Take care all.

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:40 pm 71

Heh, I never said armed uprising is not a way to go, I just concurred with your point that the right is gonna drag us into shit where we will ALL have to defend us with arms, against any number of fractured forces. The right, after the violence kicks in, won’t mean nothing, as regional and local forces come into play.

I’m all for a person’s ability to defend themself. And their family!

*G*

demi | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:40 pm 72

I kind of enjoy reading things’ comments, ’cause my brain had to be engaged. *g*

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:42 pm 73

Thanks Doc, there is the truth and practice I’d follow . . . perfect!!!

zapkitty | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:42 pm 74

And that would suite a great many parties just fine…

… except for that “swinging back” part, that is…

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:42 pm 75

Give it up for Jimmy Fallon and the Roots.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:43 pm 76

sorry, my intert00bs–both of them–got unhooked after my last comment…coincidence?

Pass the tinfoil, I think I’m Beck.

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:43 pm 77
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 75

Um, does your hubby know about your crush?

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:45 pm 78
In response to newtonusr @ 77

Oh yea.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:47 pm 79
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 78

Even, Oh yes.

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:48 pm 80
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 78

LOL!

Margot | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:48 pm 81
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 60

Reading you loud and clear.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:48 pm 82

so basically re: health care, Republicans were intimidated by the size of Obama’s package?

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:51 pm 83

Newtonsur @68 It worked and Rudy created a pattern Sarah broke the pattern that interests me. Anyone running from the drug capital of any state especially a place without other forms of wealth to back them in a state wide race interests me.
Where did Sarah get the start up cash she needed to get the State GOP to take her run for office serious?
How many mayor’s of small town’s have ever jumped to the Governor’s job even in small states like Alaska without holding a Statewide office first?
Sarah got in because she criticized the former GOP Governor for being corrupt and nobody noticed her hometown was drug central? Are short skirts really that much a factor in elections? Maybe Sarah wowed Alaska with her intellect?
Anyone give me an other reason why she won besides money and in her hometown big money comes from where?

Larue | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:52 pm 84

Ay yi yi, Lisa, Lisa, Lisa . . . .

Naughty you.
~~~EDITED IN MODERATION~~~

~~~ModNote: Leave this alone. Now.~~~

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:53 pm 86
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 83

Sarah is the modern day anti Revenuer candidate.

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:54 pm 87
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 83

I hadn’t considered it.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:54 pm 88

LOL!

But seriously, don’t laugh. Since the MuslimFascistDictator can’t possibly be legitimate in their eyes, anything goes.

That includes anybody who might be perceived as “librul.” Be careful out there if you have any obvious liberal markings on your person, or on your car.

Not being a fearmonger here, as I am pretty much a flaming queen wherever I go, and I won’t quit. It’s just you gotta be alert. These people mean business, and the business they’re in, is mean.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:55 pm 89
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 85

Well, that didn’t work, sorry.

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:56 pm 90
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 85

I managed to get to facebook, and no further. :-)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:57 pm 91
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 85

I love the pre-French Revolution portrait. I’m very fond of that era and really like Poussin and Elizabeth Vigee-le-Brun.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday March 23, 2010 09:58 pm 92
In response to newtonusr @ 90

Firewalls, sorry newt. I had a great photo of mrce and me in western costume from the last century. I’m still trying to figure out social technology. Bleech.

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:00 pm 93
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 92

I hear that.
I created a twitter account and I can not for the life of me figure out what to do with it.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:00 pm 94
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 83

Just who cares what a small time Mayor thinks? Why did Sarah get news coverage and others did not?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:00 pm 95
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 88

I completely understand. I have had some experience being harassed, chased, followed etc over being me.

And sometimes these nuts get it wrong

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:03 pm 96

Lemme guess; did someone chase/harass you over your “coexist” (wicca) bumpersticker? :)

JMorgan | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:04 pm 97

Oops.

Gap in health care law’s protection for children: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jYnajhWrPEXihcCrpRNfUKN7rN-AD9EKO82G2

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:05 pm 98

Oh Lisa,
Me too! I love her, our French painter, Elizabeth Vigee-le-Brun! And we have Poussin’s “Holy Family on the Steps” — it has a wild Cleveland-Paris story.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:17 pm 99
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 96

LOL. I have no bumper stickers,but I am waiting for my Miskatonic University Alumae sticker.

Though I’m a witch, I’m not Wiccan; like being Christian, but not Baptist. I got bothered for other reasons…

There are a couple things you should never have as a bumper sticker in terms of personal safety:

“My child was student of the whatever at Acme School” because it says where you kid go to school

“XXX Neighborhood Association/I *heart* ” etc because that’s probably where you live

Political etc bumper stickers vary in terms of safety issues depending on where you are…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:22 pm 100
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 98

Elizabeth Vigee-Le Brun had an AMAZING life. We used ot think we escaped thanks to the aid of the Comte de Saint Germaine who called around with carriage as the Revolution roiled around them…

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:23 pm 101

Sweet! Being a Miskatonic grad/Lovecraftian, surely YOU voted for Cthulu!

*excellent – in best mr. burns voice*

cheney | Tuesday March 23, 2010 10:34 pm 102

didn’t johnny cash single handedly kill off an entire species of birds?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 23, 2010 11:22 pm 103
In response to cheney @ 102

Perhaps you mean Wild Turkey?

newtonusr | Tuesday March 23, 2010 11:39 pm 104

LOL!
I don’t figure Johnny for a Grey Goose man.

AlexandraLynch | Wednesday March 24, 2010 01:41 am 105
In response to AZ Matt @ 36

When my father-in-law and his brothers and their kids helped clean out their mom’s place, they found glass canning jars from the thirties clean into the eighties of homemade dandelion wine.

The really old stuff was carefully divvied up, and my husband was permitted a taste. It had aged and mellowed and did not hit you over the head without first making love to your palate on the way down.

TarheelDem | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:00 am 106

Ware Shoals (Wikipedia)

W.J. Cash wrote a groundbreaking essay on the South in his book The Mind of the South, published in the 1940s. The War in the South ia an article that he did for the American Mercury, H.L. Mencken’s publication about the textile industry, the resurgence of the Klan, and the textile workers’ labor movement. It has mention of Ware Shoals, where in the 1930s there was serious conflict between labor and owners. The failure of the unions outside the South to come to the aid of textile workers was seen as a betrayal of the labor movement and allowed business to make the South one of the least organized parts of the country.

mzchief | Wednesday March 24, 2010 04:09 am 107

Other ways the IRS is not ingratiated with citizens:

“Can’t Pay In Full

Request an IRS Installment Agreement (IA) or Apply for a Bank Loan

* Use Form 9465 or Use the Online Payment Agreement Application to request an IA if you cannot obtain or do better than 7% (current IRS interest rate plus 3% penalty) with a bank loan
* Don’t repay the IRS without an Installment Agreement or Loan as interest will be 10% or higher”

- from http://www.investorguide.com/article/6015/6-tips-to-avoid-irs-penalties-interest-and-filing-fees-this-tax-season/

“U.S. IRS to end contracts with private tax debt collectors” – March 5, 2009

veracity | Wednesday March 24, 2010 08:59 am 108

Now, now, Lisa…. It (the political undercurrents in the Carolinas and throughout America) are even more primordial and primitive than merely “Revenue agents” and Moonshiners…
(btw, did you know that the popular song, & U. Tennesse unofficial fight song, “Rocky Top,” has a line CELEBRATIN’ the MURDER of a couple of them Reveneur agents?
– “Once two strangers climbed old Rocky Top
Lookin’ for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain’t come down from Rocky Top,
Reckon they never will.”

but I digress. What’s important is that for the first hundred years or so Whites & Injuns (native tribes) COOPERATED in the Carolinas, in the deer meat, corn, and fur trade. Once white settlers started pourin’ in, local conflicts broke out to full scale Injun wars. Both sides of these conflicts can be seen in 2 very good NC outdoor theatrical productions, “HORN OF THE WEST” (in Boone, NC) celebrating Daniel Boone and the western Carolina battles vs British & Injuns alike, and down in Cherokee, NC (as the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway); “UNTO THESE HILLS” portrays the White settlers pushing the Cherokee “Indians” farther and farther back to the hills, until the “Trail of Tears” under President Jackson attempted to ETHNICALLY CLEANSE the Cherokees from the area altogether.
American Revolutionary General Francis “Swamp Fox” Marion had been a veteran and survivor of those earlier, pre-Revolutionary wars against the Indians, and he put the lessons learned – the INDIAN ways of fighting – to GOOD USE vs the Royal Army (Redcoats) during the Revolution.
South Carolina historians, especially, like to believe, that if it hadn’t been for “Swamp Fox” tying down the Tory (loyalist) and Redcoats, and showing how they could be defeated, the Patriot victories of Kings Mountain, Cowpens, Guilford Courthouse, and (ultimately) YORKTOWN might never have happened.
Needless to say, during those war years (and Civil War later on), either army descending on the locals were in effect “SUPER-TAX COLLECTORS,” stripping EVERYTHING of value to support the armies.
One biography of Marion, written by Pastor Weems shortly after his death, tells the tale of one of Marion’s regiments, exhausted & famished during a march to attack the British, stumbling on a corn field. As the soldiers counted their blessings stripping the corn from the stalks, and old widow women came out, and begged with the soldiers not to raise the field – it was all she and her three children had to survive the coming winter.

regulararmyfool | Wednesday March 24, 2010 01:19 pm 109

Not all moonshine was bad tasting. I drank some in the early 80s that was smoother than store bought.

Not all moonshiners used cars. My father at 12 was leading a string of mules across the AR MO border to outside of Joplin MO.

3 of my second cousins killed 2 revenuers. Then they blew the cave entrance with the still and the bodies inside.

DonWilliams | Wednesday March 24, 2010 11:41 pm 110

The Democrats should run on the platform, “We’re the Party of the IRS!”

What could possibly go wrong?