Late Night: Census Questions

So my census form came yesterday and I filled it out and there are some pretty interesting questions. Like how many people live in your house, what are their names, races and relationships to you.  “Unmarried partner ” is a new option. There are lots of options for race (versus ethnicity) available, including “other/fill in.”

Pam’s House Blend points out that this will be the first US Census since the US Department of Energy Human Genome Project announced that race does not exist.

There’s a push in the Taiwanese community to to have members check “other Asian” and fill in “Taiwanese.” I noticed that “Armenian,” a huge segment of my neighborhood population was not an option, though Pakistani was (under Asian).

I actually got a little uncomfortable having to fill out the names of my household members. Like, why? I can see giving up that I have roommate(s) and I sort of understand why “race” question (though what if you are of mixed race?), but why do I need to say their names? How will that help matters?

Oh and I saw The Runaways. It was great.

142 Responses to "Late Night: Census Questions"
Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 07:59 pm 1

Welcome to Late Night from the land of “That Wasn’t Much of an Earthquake”

egregious | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:03 pm 2

Hi Lisa!

newtonusr | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:04 pm 3

*rattling from way up in Norcal*

And no form here, yet.

Margaret | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:04 pm 4

M’eh. The census doesn’t bother me much. It’s mild compared to the illegal and covert domestic surveillance that goes on behind the scenes.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:05 pm 5

I am a Texican. Am I a race? Does it have a box for people who are 18 already but are living with friends until college starts? What if you’re living with friends who used to be your guardians? I bet they didn’t send me a form because I am too complicated!

Splicer | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:06 pm 6

I’ve always been a fan of Joan Jett and I’ll probably see The Runaways eventually (mostly because my wife has a thing for Jett). However, the one thing that sticks in my craw about it is that I have no doubt that rock critics will LOVE the movie because it’s exactly the kind of music they’re capable of understanding. Have anything more than two chords in a song, a melody line or lyrics that aren’t just about angst and the heads of critics explode. Can you tell I hate rock critics? I do. I’ll admit that it’s because they’ve always hated what I like but also because of their never-ending drive towards hipsterism. I fucking hate hipsters.

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:06 pm 7

I was very happy to mail our census form back to Gary Locke, the actual Secretary of Commerce, instead of Judd Gregg, Barack Obama’s first choice for the job.

Hi Lisa!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:07 pm 8

I wonder what peopel do who split their time between two households? I have friend who lives in two states equal time, doesnt own property in either, get mail in both places, and on APril 1 wont be in either household! Non-person?

newtonusr | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:07 pm 9
In response to SnarKassandra @ 5

Princetonian, as I understand it.
Congrats, Cassie!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:11 pm 10
In response to SnarKassandra @ 5

If your student lives with some with someone else they are counted there.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:12 pm 11

and congrats

Margot | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:13 pm 12

I just sent mine back today. A friend emailed me that she was freaked out by the census, wanted to know if they had her house on GPS. I told her Google Earth did, calm down.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:14 pm 13

Huh? I am the student. No one counts me for taxes anymore. Most of my family is in jail.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:14 pm 14

Thanks for the congrats.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:17 pm 15
In response to newtonusr @ 9

Thanks newtonusr.

Peterr | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:18 pm 16
In response to SnarKassandra @ 5

They don’t send forms to individuals, but to household addresses. Thus, whoever owns/rents the place you are at would have gotten the form, and listed you as a resident.

The big point is simply to count everyone — or as many of “everyone” as they can find.

[And congrats!]

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:20 pm 17
In response to SnarKassandra @ 13

Wherever you live, or spend the most time, is where you should be reported. Each person doesn’t get a Census form, each address does. Just be sure you don’t get reported in more than one place, since that messes up the count.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:22 pm 18

Lisa!

Speaking on behalf of all the researchers who will use this data, please be honest (even if it is complicated). The census counts!

Twain | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:22 pm 19
In response to SnarKassandra @ 15

I know that you will be very busy but I hope you will keep us posted on your college life. I loved college and hope that you will, too. Enjoy !

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:23 pm 20
In response to Peterr @ 16

Oh. Do they assume all the residents at a house are the same race? Or the same family?

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:23 pm 21
In response to SnarKassandra @ 5

Form goes to the household, not to any individual. whoever wants to be “head” can be and gets to fill it out for everybody. Folks like you really are not a a problem. Just check “other” and fill in whatever you want to be.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:24 pm 22

Do they count people in prison? In county jail? What if they send the form to your house while you’re in jail but you get out before April? What about halfway houses?

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:24 pm 23

Maybe.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:25 pm 24

A friend of mine took the quiz to be census worker, and passed with flying colors–and they didnt hire him…

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:26 pm 25
In response to SnarKassandra @ 13

You would be counted in the household where you are living, even if it is temporary. The enumeration is by household, not family, so it includes everyone living there.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:26 pm 26

How do they count people who live in their cars? Or in a nursing home? Or if they can’t read the form?

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:27 pm 27
In response to SnarKassandra @ 20

Nope.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:28 pm 28
In response to SnarKassandra @ 22

There is a special separate enumeration of “group quarters” (like jails and Army barracks), though I am not exactly sure how they do that.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:28 pm 29
In response to SnarKassandra @ 26

nursing homes get their own count, ditto prisons. And there are programs to count the homeless

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:30 pm 30

This is starting to sound like a very interesting research project for a young blogger to write up at The Seminal. Timely, too….

(hint, hint)

Peterr | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:30 pm 31
In response to SnarKassandra @ 20

One section per person, and everyone gets the same questions (except a couple for person #1 like “do you own and pay a mortgage, own your place outright, rent from someone, etc.?”).

And yes, the Census Bureau works hard to count people who are considered homeless and live in parks, under bridges, or in their cars. The people who run soup kitchens and other social services that deal with the homeless really bust their tails to try to help make sure everyone gets counted.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:30 pm 32

I just feel weird saying the names of people who live wiht me..like um…what if one of them prefers ot be known byher/his PO BOx addy?

PJEvans | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:31 pm 33

For your grandchildren? If we’re still around in 72 years?
They’ve always asked at least the head of household, and they’ve done every-name starting with the 1850 census.
This one is very non-intrusive, compared to some in the past. (Ask a genealogist for blank forms for past censuses. Some of the past questions are really intrusive by current standards: ‘How many children do you have, and how many are living?’)

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:31 pm 34
In response to SnarKassandra @ 26

They try to get the homeless, though they are not terribly successful because they are hard to find. They send out census takers to try to find them and to follow up on all forms which are not returned. Nursing homes count as “group quarters” like I mentioned above and I am not sure exactly how they handle those, though I suspect that they are filled out by an administrator in charge of the facility.

Twain | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:32 pm 35

Haven’t gotten my form yet but wondered if they still ask things like how many bathrooms you have – anyone?

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:33 pm 36
In response to Twain @ 35

Only if you get the long form.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:33 pm 37
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 30

You MUST be referring to someone who doesn’t have senioritis and isn’t on spring break ’cause you can’t mean me.

Crider | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:33 pm 38

For three evening before April first census workers are going out to count people in hotels, jails, the homeless and people in campgrounds. I’ve done two census jobs so far, one last year where we counted all the houses and this year we handed out the questionnaires to houses that don’t have regular mail delivery. I hope I get on the teams that go out and question transients.

By the way, Census data on individual data is kept secret for 72 years. Their data has survived a nasty FBI challenge in 1980 where they actually got a warrant, but Census refused to hand it over and won. Even us lowly census workers are forbidden to reveal any data under a felony Title 13 of the federal code. We can’t call the cops on anybody we see growing pot — that would also be a federal felony. They’ve always taken names and addresses since the earliest Census in 1790.

SueTheRedWA | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:34 pm 39

The military just provides an accounting.

As someone way too into genealogy, please fill out the forms. Without them, you descendents will have a tough time finding you. For example, yesterday I found a great-great-aunt on Montreal. Up until yesterday, I never knew my great-great-grandfather had a sibling.

There have been individual names on the US census since 1840. It really isn’t a new thing.

PJEvans | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:34 pm 40
In response to SnarKassandra @ 26

Nursing homes are the same as anyplace else, they’re not really as transient as, say hotels, which they also count (or used to). I don’t know how they count people living in cars – that’s one of the problems they’ve been trying to fix, and one of those the conservatives would prefer not be fixed.

If you can’t read the form, I’d assume that someone who can read it can ask you the questions and fill it in – that’s what census-takers did, they’d ask the questions and write down the answers (not always correctly).

PJEvans | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:37 pm 41

No long forms any more – they have a different survey that asks those questions. This one is boringly simple by my standards: how many people, their names, ages on 1 April, birtdates, and ethnic information. And your phone number, in case they need clarification.

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:37 pm 42

I got my census today and was disappointed that the questions weren’t more intrusive. It was so boring and short. All that excitment for nothing.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:37 pm 43
In response to Crider @ 38

Yep. I have used a lot of census data in my research. For the historical stuff, I use the original manuscript records which gives more finely detailed analysis. For contemporary stuff, I have to rely on the aggregate data, which is all you can access.

PJEvans | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:38 pm 44
In response to Crider @ 38

Actuall, fomr 1790 to 1840, they only got head-of-household names; the rest were just tallied up by age groups. Addresses are even more recent, since most people didn’t have one.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:39 pm 45
In response to PJEvans @ 40

They send out census workers to collect the data from addresses that do not return the forms.

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:41 pm 46

Hi Cassie!

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:41 pm 47

My grandparents made a separate apartment in their basement where there used to be a doctor’s office. The people downstairs get their mail together with my grandparents because it wasn’t legal to divide it up like that because there’s only half a kitchen downstairs. Would both families be on the same form?

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:42 pm 48
In response to Mary McCurnin @ 46

Hi Mary!

Did you ever get your financial and medical stuff worked out? I know you had a post when you were going to need to get a divorce.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:42 pm 49
In response to SnarKassandra @ 47

If there is only one address, then yes. They get classed as “boarders” or some such.

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:44 pm 50
In response to SnarKassandra @ 48

Yep. We got divorced. I got my first husband’s social security. I just got approved for another years health insurance. Things are good. We need to find a way to squeeze a little more money out of the economy but we are doing much better.

How is school? I know you are doing great.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:46 pm 51
In response to Mary McCurnin @ 50

I am going to Princeton in the fall! After I get the rest of the scholarship and financial aid stuff all straightened out.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:49 pm 52

Speaking of boarders. In the 19th and early 20th century official documents used to list some buildings as “female boarding.” Generally it meant they were brothels.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:49 pm 53
In response to SnarKassandra @ 51

They making you jump through all kinds of hoops for it?

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:51 pm 54
In response to SnarKassandra @ 51

Hurray! Great school. I knew you could do it.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:52 pm 55

Okay, I have this fantasy that Joan Jett should be the guest sonwriter/judge on AMerican Idol this season

elouise | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:53 pm 56

I am curious

Why do they have a separate section asking if you are of hispanic, lantino or spanish origin?

That makes me uncomfortable.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:53 pm 57

Why would you inflict that on Joan?

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:53 pm 58

Actually, I qualify for a full scholarship and I have $17,800 in additional scholarship money that I am trying to apply to room and board. If I can. And books.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:57 pm 59
In response to elouise @ 56

same for Asian…Thus the push for Other/Tiawanses

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:58 pm 60
In response to SnarKassandra @ 58

Wonderful! Fully deserved. I hope they let you do that as it will make a big difference. Price of textbooks is simply obscene these days. The department (i.e., me) just negotiated a “special edition” (different cover and ISBN, but otherwise the same) of the text we use for the introduction to anthropology classes at 63% of the regular price. Helps to be one of the (perhaps the) biggest purchaser of those books. Still will cost the students $85.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:59 pm 61

Howdy ‘pups.

Lisa:

Chill out on the Census. Those forms are confidential for a long, long time. Once upon a time, I worked for USDA and had need to access Census of Agriculture records. The confidentiality warning/pledge I had to sign was frightening.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday March 16, 2010 08:59 pm 62

I filled out a census form at the end of last year, and got another one yesterday. Exact same form…

Anyone else?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:00 pm 63
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 61

I am just curious about why…Ifilled it out and mailed it back. i didnt cout the dog or cat

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:00 pm 64
In response to elouise @ 56

Mostly because Hispanic organizations agitated for it (and continue to do so). Those numbers can give clout to the organizations. Biggest opponents of including a “mixed race” category were mainline black organizations who feared a dilution of their power to affect policies.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:00 pm 65
In response to SnarKassandra @ 47

That’s one to call the Bureau about.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:01 pm 66
In response to Loo Hoo. @ 62

You got caught in a test run of the Census, Loo.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:02 pm 67

It is a separate enumeration, independent of the regular census.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:02 pm 68

I couldnt afford the books at community college last semester so I couldnt go.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:03 pm 69

Kind of a bummer, the books were more than tuition.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:05 pm 70

My wife said I had to count each of the cats twice, since they each have four legs.

The Census has always collected names. The records are a treasure trove for genealogists when they’re finally released. I don’t know why they’ve always collected names, though.

Trust me, though. Anybody who leaked that info would go to jail for a long, long time. And Census has fought (and won) court cases to maintain confidentiality of their records. There are a bunch of Federal agencies I don’t trust, but Census isn’t one.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:05 pm 71

Test run?

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:05 pm 72

It really pisses me and a lot of other faculty off, but there is generally little we can do about it. It is only because of our market power in the Intro to Anth market that we could do what we did. Helps that we got two publishers in a bidding war.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:06 pm 73
In response to Loo Hoo. @ 71

Yeah. Census is always testing their processes and procedures. They may have used your area as a training vehicle for supervisors, etc.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:07 pm 74
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 70

Fer realz. I use census data in my research and the data are only now becoming available for a critical period.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:07 pm 75

Amen. The price of textbooks is really unconscionable.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:08 pm 76

Anthro was my fave class.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:08 pm 77
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 73

Despite all the bitching and moaning on all sides, as well as the actual limitations of the census data in many ways, they really are very good at this and are constantly refining their methods to get even better.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:09 pm 78

The Public Use Micro Sample isn’t sufficient?

PJEvans | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:09 pm 79
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 61

Probably like the one I had to sign in 1976, to look at the 1900 census. (I seem to recall they wanted an arm and a leg ….) I had to go to an Archives and Records center to look at the microfilm, too, and those are few and far between.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:09 pm 80
In response to Mary McCurnin @ 42

Yeah, I was disappointed after Michele Bachmann got me all revved up.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:09 pm 81

So should I fill out the second form?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:10 pm 82

When Congress allows them to, anyway.

The rallying cry for survey statisticians ought to be, “Remember 2000!

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:10 pm 83
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 75

Another adverse effect of media consolidation. There are only about 8-10 Intro to Anth textbooks in the whole country, from 4-5 publishers (a full size and a condensed version from each). No freaking competition in the market at all.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:11 pm 84

On behalf of the profession, I think you.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:12 pm 85
In response to PJEvans @ 79

As I recall, it was more like, “If you ever think about releasing any individual information, even inadvertently, we will remove your left arm and leg and both gonads. If you ever actually release any individual information, we’ll remove the remaining arm and leg. Then we’ll lock up what remains and throw away the key.”

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:12 pm 86
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 78

No, because I work with American Indians and the sample size is too small (when you are less than 1% of the population over all and seldom more than 1/4 in any area, you tend to disappear).

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:13 pm 87
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 82

Yeah. Republicans hate that kind of government efficiency.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:14 pm 88

State of California got to choose between two texts for elementary reading. Both were shitty. The problem with all of the texts now is that they have to incorporate the state standards. And each state has its own set of standards. (This is one thing I agree with Obama on, we need standardized standards!)

Consequently, the texts are hitting standards instead of interest, cohesion, and fun! FUN IS NO LONGER ALLOWED IN SCHOOLS.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:15 pm 89

Yeah. Twenty-five years ago there were about a dozen publishers in my field (probability and statistics). Now there are two. If you count Sage and Erlbaum (I don’t: they don’t do my stuff) there are four.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:16 pm 90
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 85

Yeah. One of my Ph.D. students is working on the political economy of health on the Flathead Reservation in the late 19th and early 20th century. She was looking at using state death records and they basically said the same thing to her, even though her study ends in 1930.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:16 pm 91

Enough Hispanics in a district with kids hopefully ESL, lot of Asians where I live hopefully ESL. Also it gives Dems a map of where they can win if they don’t listen to Rahm.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:17 pm 92

Ah. PUMS is good for population-wide stuff, but it can’t be sliced-and-diced very finely at all. Census won’t allow you access to the Data Centers?

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:18 pm 93
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 89

Yeah. In the sciences, math, and engineering, the number of publishers gets diminishingly small, especially for more advanced texts. I hardly use textbooks for my advanced classes any more. Mostly journal articles and selections from monographs or edited volumes.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:19 pm 94

Any word if Michelle is going nuts again on this?

newtonusr | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:21 pm 95
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 94

Nothing yet. But I hear she found a shiny key ring in the bottom of her purse last month, so she can be excused for tardiness.

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:21 pm 96
In response to SnarKassandra @ 58

You go, girl. Enjoy your break.

And when you get to New Jersey, be sure to look up my favorite Rachel Maddow guest and twitter-buddy, Melissa Harris-Lacewell. I think you two will get along great.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:21 pm 97
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 92

Haven’t really looked at it. Much of what I do involves family reconstitution and linking households across censuses, so you need the names. You can find out all kinds of things that way that do not appear on the regular census (like continuing polygyny into the 1910s, when it is technically illegal).

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:24 pm 98

Unfortunately, the census also has to count

guys like this

. He’s everything we’ve come to expect from a Texan not related to Kassie.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:25 pm 99

I was saddened that Mr. B and I didn’t get the long census form.

I snarkily feel like checking the “some other race” and put “Alien Homo”

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:27 pm 100

They have a lot of room on census forms for household members. Makes me wish I had a bigger house

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:27 pm 101
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 98

it is important to count them as well. We need to know just how many assholes like that there are so we can calculate the appropriate response.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:28 pm 102
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 99

now, now. We all know that you are a (very) domestic Homo, and not alien at all.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:29 pm 103

Still not big enough for the Duggars.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:31 pm 104

I kinda like his Satanic-bestiality theory on dinosaurs. It’s…original.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:32 pm 105

You should at least talk with them about it. You would have to sign confidentiality agreements, and you couldn’t publish anything that would allow individuals to be identified. I’ve always found them to be pretty cooperative when the need was present and documented.

State agencies, on the other hand: I suggested a study of the health care systems on the Pueblos here in New Mexico. Some of our pueblos have opted out of the IHS system, accepting funding for clinics. I wanted to go into the State’s Vital records and link basic indicators back to the pueblo. The idea was to see if opting out was good, bad or indifferent, using a time-domain intervention analysis.

I couldn’t get access to the vital records.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:33 pm 106
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 99

Kelly,

The Long Form is dead, long live The American Community Survey.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:33 pm 107

Ahem, I’m QUITE alien to this planet Republic.

Peaceful, proud, care about poor and old people, reveres Art & Science,considers the odd & eccentric amongst us charming, despises war.

Nope, I’m an alien here. (Not at FDL, though – smooches upon all of ya!)

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:34 pm 108
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 104

Do I dare ask?

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:36 pm 109

That’s what I was hoping we’d get. The HH income, ages, marital status, time-to-commute, all that business. I use that data a lot at work.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:36 pm 110

Yeah. They are real touchy about that. A friend in graduate school did his dissertation on changes in diabetes rates and mortality in a Cherokee community in eastern Oklahoma and used state data for it. He had to sign a form saying that he would not contact anybody related to any of the deceased whose records he examined (the data were from the 1930s to early 1950s). as a consequence, he had to do all of his interviewing in the community before he could do the demographic and epidemiological analysis.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:38 pm 111
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 109

Me, too, and I got that form the last time around. this year, it was just the boring little short form.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:38 pm 112
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 104

It kinda makes me wish I knew a Jungian analyst to ask, “What does this mean???”

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:40 pm 113

I think it means that he is batshit crazy and needs to be locked away from polite society for the rest of his life.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:42 pm 114
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 109

Kelly (and Dr.D…)

My understanding is that ACS is now completely functionally separate from the Census. All the Census does now is count noses. So, no long forms for anyone: all the Census does is count noses.

I had one long form (1990 Census). I don’t ever want another one.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:42 pm 115

Can I get electronic versions of my textbooks in college? Two of my current textbooks are online and we just type the teacher’s name a password she picked for us to use.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:42 pm 116

Time for me to toddle off and at least try to get to sleep. It would be nice to be awake when I go over the census and other federal data on racial and ethic disparities in class tomorrow afternoon. I warned them on Monday that this was going to be depressing and i think I have already made my point there.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:44 pm 117

Agreed that that’s what any responsible pshrink of any persuasion would conclude, but I think the story a Jungian would tell on her way to the conclusion would be really entertaining.

Of course, the late Joseph Campbell could probably have done something with that material too.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:44 pm 118

Yanno, can I just say, today was motoring along just fine for me until about 3:30, when I get the call ” meet us at the hospital.”

I get there, and my father in law is IN the ER again. Hours later, turns out it’s a pharma fuck up, and a med/dosage thing in-between competing VA and Medicare physicians. (Theophilene)

The system is beyond fucked up, it’s literally grinding Charlie down, even to death, we worry constantly, and then I get home and realized, I missed the primary caucus and then see what’s going on below in the threads.

It’s just fucking MADDENING!

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:45 pm 119
In response to SnarKassandra @ 115

Depends. In some cases you can, but in others they are not available. They tend to be more available for introductory courses (freshman and sophomore level). Almost none are available online for upper division courses (where the books often get really expensive on a per page basis).

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:46 pm 120
In response to EvilDrPuma @ 98

I don’t understand. The angel had sex with the woman and sex with the entire animal kingdom? Which bible is that in?

“I believe that all dinosaurs were born of Satanic angel who has sex with woman and the animal kingdom that created ungodly reptilian creatures none of these were on the Ark,” Johnson said.

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:46 pm 121

I would actually like to see H.P. Lovecraft’s interpretation. On that note I really do have to go to bed.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:47 pm 122
In response to SnarKassandra @ 115

The answer is definitely maybe.

In most cases, when students buy e-book access it’s for one term only. They have to purchase access again if they have to repeat the course. Some e-texts allow you print a single hard copy for your personal use. Others don’t.

Particularly in your fields of interest, keep a highlighter and fine point pen handy to make marginal notes. You don’t want to sell those books back. Ever!

DrDick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:48 pm 123
In response to SnarKassandra @ 120

Cthulhu done it.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:49 pm 124
In response to SnarKassandra @ 120

Honey,

Trying to understand gibberish is like trying to up the down escalator. Even if you can get anywhere, it’s never worth the effort that was required.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:51 pm 125
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 118

Kelly,

I’m sorry. Theophylline (and its me-too cousins like aminophylline) is a really dangerous drug — there is precious little room between the effective dose and the toxic dose. Physicians (and pharmacists) are supposed to monitor that stuff.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:52 pm 126

Your answers are always pithier than mine.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:53 pm 127

Sounds like a circular nightmare.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:54 pm 128
In response to SnarKassandra @ 120

srsly nuts.

SnarKassandra | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:54 pm 129

I am done with on-topic questions so it must be time to say goodnight.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:56 pm 130

No kidding. They took a no-wean approach yesterday, zero dose, and Charlie about kicked. Back too 200mgs and voila, a breathing human.

They just didn’t want to pay for the drug anymore. If it’s not service related, the VA doesn’t want to pay ANYTHING anymore.

Margot | Tuesday March 16, 2010 09:57 pm 131
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 118

Oh man. I’m glad you guys were there for him.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 10:01 pm 132
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 130

That’s pushing hard on malpractice. And theophylline’s cheap, especially in the quantities the VA buys it in.

PPDCUS | Tuesday March 16, 2010 10:11 pm 133

evening, firegods

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday March 16, 2010 10:13 pm 134

night a;;! thanks for a great night!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday March 16, 2010 10:13 pm 135

And I’m outta here.

Good night, folks.

Margot | Tuesday March 16, 2010 10:14 pm 136

hi PPDCUS, are you coming upstairs? I just realized what time it is!~

YonderScott | Wednesday March 17, 2010 03:00 am 137

I don’t mind filling out my census form, but why in the hell do I have to put my name on it?

TarheelDem | Wednesday March 17, 2010 04:11 am 138

The Census has been asking for the names of individuals in the household and has been doing so since the 1850 Census. While not strictly needed for counting people to redistrict Congress, it has had the the benefit of being the best starting point for a people’s history of the US. It allows research into the social relationships that existed during the years for which there is Census data. In most cases, the order of the names on the register followed the roads and allows a reconstruction of neighborhoods. And should your descendants lose track of who their great great grandparents were, it provides a means of genealogical research.

It is the best antidote to the “great man” approach to history there is.

raven333 | Wednesday March 17, 2010 08:28 am 139