Late Night: Children’s Book is Obviously Commie Propaganda

MarxPicture 12At first, it appeared that the Texas State Board of Education had made a mistake in banning the children’s book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, written by Bill Martin Jr., from a proposal for the third-grade reading section. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports:

Board member Pat Hardy, R-Weatherford, who made the motion, cited books Bill Martin had written for adults that contain “very strong critiques of capitalism and the American system.”…

Hardy said she was trusting the research of another board member, Terri Leo, R-Spring, when she made her motion and comments about Martin’s writing. Leo had sent her an e-mail alerting her to Bill Martin Jr.’s listing on the Borders .com Web site as the author of Ethical Marxism.

A simple case of “The Internets, ur doin it worng?” Did similar names lead to the children’s book author being confused with a philosophy professor at DePaul University in Chicago who wrote Ethical Marxism? Or perhaps, there is something more sinister hidden in the words of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and the school board made the right decision. Let us examine the opening passage:

Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? I see a red bird looking at me.

Red bird, red bird, what do you see?

The bear is a symbol for the former USSR, a Marxist state. Red is the color that represented the USSR, hence the term “pinko” for American communist sympathizers. Obviously this is indoctrination.

The red bird then sees a yellow duck. Yellow is the color of cowards, and “duck” is not only a bird but a way to avoid a blow. The commies are seeing a coward! Is that any way to teach our children?

Later there is a frog! Yes, the French are in this book. And we all know about the French and their elitist semiotics and deconstructionist views. Why, there are no decent all-American animals in Brown Bear–just commies, cowards and elitists.

144 Responses to "Late Night: Children’s Book is Obviously Commie Propaganda"
Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:01 pm 1

Да, очевидная пропаганда

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:01 pm 2

oh noz — ruskies and the french!

(laughing) hey lisa

AZ Matt | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:03 pm 3

Damn! Our children are at risk! Don’t let them learn to read! Let them grow up to become Republicans!!!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:04 pm 4

Hey. I call it as I see it….I was seeing what it felt like ot be a conservative nutbag conspiracy theorist

Peterr | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:05 pm 5
In response to AZ Matt @ 3

At least keep them at home for schooling, where they can be protected from such vile and disgusting propaganda as Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:05 pm 6

Didn’t you feel like you needed a shower afterward? *g*

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:05 pm 7
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 1

there’s one now

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:06 pm 8
In response to Suzanne @ 7

Comrade K, reporting for duty!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:06 pm 9
In response to Peterr @ 5

AZ Matt | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:06 pm 10

Sarah Palin will shoot that Commie bear!! She has a .50 caliber rifle given her by the NRA.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:08 pm 11

Now let’s look at say “Little House on the Prarie”….

The farmers are celebrated, while capitalist Nellie Olson and her familt are seen as spoiled and rich. Obvious socialist claptrap

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:09 pm 12

We will bury you! Of course the Texas Board of Education will probably bury you in stupid long before our meager communist threat does.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:09 pm 13

A WHITE rifle mind you.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:09 pm 14
In response to Suzanne @ 7

Cleverly disguised behind her anglo screen name.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:10 pm 15

That’s “Little Dacha On the Steppe” to you, missy.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:10 pm 16
In response to AZ Matt @ 10

She already did. This one.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:11 pm 17
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 1

Hey, Kelly. I think I inadvertently offended you the other night and I would like to apologize. My comments were not directed at you but at the closet types we were discussing and the Wall Street bankers. I hope you know that I have only respect for you and what you are doing in the world.

drouse | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:11 pm 18

We must protect our children from the likes of Clifford the big red dog.

Peterr | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:12 pm 19

Obviously, the dictionary is where Marcy learned that evil word that got David Shuster all in a tizzy and probably has kept her off of MSNBC.

Hmmmm . . . now that I think about it, all the dictionaries in my second grade classroom had RED covers. . . .

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:12 pm 20
In response to eCAHNomics @ 14

You shall pay for your insolence!

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:13 pm 21
In response to drouse @ 18

I think we need to defend ourselves from the Texas Board of Education a lot more. They have a huge impact on what is contained in public school textbooks and that is a very bad thing. Many high school biology texts no longer even mention evolution as a result.

masaccio | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:13 pm 22

I wonder what kind of books are allowed in Weatherford, Texas, or if the book-banners have taken full control.

SouthernDragon | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:14 pm 23

Molly’s spinning in her grave.

Too funny. And thinking Texans have to live with this ignorance. Oh, to think what Molly would have unleashed on these fools.

AZ Matt | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:14 pm 24
In response to eCAHNomics @ 16

Good! One dead commie bear. It was probably named Boris.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:14 pm 25

A day passes, I get over it. I myself was not thinking at the time that you weren’t you’re usual beyond witty articulate self given your circumstances at the moment.

It’s all good. *g*

Peterr | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:15 pm 26

I’d love to see some other state to throw up its hands and tell the publishers “We’re not Texas, and we won’t buy the crap you sell there.”

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:17 pm 27
In response to masaccio @ 22

Take a look at what they have planned for the statewide curriculum standards.

eCAHNomics | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:17 pm 28
In response to SouthernDragon @ 23

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:17 pm 29

eCAHNomics | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:19 pm 30

Elizabeth Warren’s up on TDS.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:19 pm 31
In response to Peterr @ 26

Won’t matter really. With consolidation in the markets, there really is nowhere else to go. A couple of years ago we looked at changing the textbook we use for intro the anthropology. There were only 8 full length textbooks available in the whole country (about that many more condensed versions).

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:20 pm 32
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 25

Glad to hear it, but still wanted to apologize. Realized afterward how far I had stuffed my foot in my mouth.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:21 pm 33

Howdy, ‘pups.

So, whatcha thinkin’ ’bout bugs in Landrieu’s office?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:23 pm 34
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 33

Roaches and rats!

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:24 pm 35

i bet the folks at acorn have a big ole smile on their faces tonight

AZ Matt | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:25 pm 36

Hell, all Texas will need after these fools finish fucking over the education standards is a copy of the Conservative Bible.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:25 pm 37

All native to Lousiana. How ’bout some nutria, too?

ratfood | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:25 pm 38

Now, don’t go draggin’ rats into this. No self-respecting rodent would associate with Mary.

drouse | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:27 pm 39
In response to Peterr @ 26

From what I understand, the contents of textbooks are determined by whomever buy the largest quantity. That put California and Texas on the two ends of a teetertotter. God help us if we lose to the wingnuts here in California.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:27 pm 40

I appreciate that from you – really do. Would never have happened in person, imo.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:28 pm 41
In response to AZ Matt @ 36

That and the complete publishing catalog of Regnery and American Opinion Publishing.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:29 pm 42

This must be a plan to have parents pay for private schools.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:29 pm 43
In response to Suzanne @ 35

They’re probably laughing their heads off over a well-earned beer.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:31 pm 44
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 40

Prolly not. Harder to read between the line and see intention online.

Peterr | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:32 pm 45
In response to drouse @ 39

Folks in the rest of the country are going to have to start writing their own, then.

For that matter, there’d probably be a market for a new textbook publishing company willing to give up on the TX market. They could put stickers on the front covers that say “Banned in Beaumont” and not only will the books sell everywhere else, but the students will immediately start reading them to find the “good parts.”

AZ Matt | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:32 pm 46
In response to drouse @ 39

Unfortunately California is not buying inbooks at the moment due to no money.

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:33 pm 47
In response to Peterr @ 45

ha! i like that

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:33 pm 48
In response to drouse @ 39

I don’t happen to know about California, but the reason Texas has such a disproportionate effect on textbook content is that the authoritarian wingnuts who make up the state school board, rather than individual school districts, decides which books will be used for the whole state. If the decision is made at the district level in California, they just won’t be able to match Texas’ impact.

drouse | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:34 pm 49
In response to AZ Matt @ 36

That is the core of a good christian education. Just literate enough to read the bible.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:34 pm 50

‘Zactly. You needed a hug!

Anyhow, ’bout the topic. One thing I’ve wondered is about home schoolers. Generally, they need to pass some sort of test.

But the readings!?!?! To which books do the home schoolers teach? I’ve never seen a good survey of this topic, and Lard Knows, I have several home schoolers amongst my relations. They remain vague on this topic.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:34 pm 51
In response to Peterr @ 45

Now there is a business plan I can get behind.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:35 pm 52
In response to drouse @ 39

The difference is that Texas has a system that lists acceptable texts statewide. If your book isn’t on the list, it can’t be used in a Texas public school.

California makes text decisions on a district-by-district basis. The net result is that California doesn’t have the clout it ought to have.

Peterr | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:35 pm 53

G’nite, all.

Gotta get some shut-eye, before The Kid wakes me up in the morning to read some of the more advanced Communist literature with him that he picked up in the School Library.

You know, like Captain Underpants. Or the Boxcar Children.

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:37 pm 54
In response to Peterr @ 53

g’nite peterr

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:37 pm 55
In response to Peterr @ 53

Night. Keep subverting the youngin. He will thank you when he grows up.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:38 pm 56
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 52

Thanks for that clarification. It’s unfortunate that such a disproportionate effect comes from a state full of bassackwards wingnut schmucks, but it’s been a problem for a long long time now.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:38 pm 57
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 50

It depends.

It depends on who the home schoolers are. I know some who use the texts used in the public schools, and when kiddo gets to the HS level they use intro college texts.

I know others who use s*** published by The Bob Jones University Press.

georgewalton | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:40 pm 58

The red bird then sees a yellow duck

Actually, the brown bear represents the Leninists, the red bird represents the Trotskyists and the yellow duck represents the Asian Maoists.

Texans are well within their right to point this out.

Among other things, it’s God’s will. Their God, of course.

Seriously, how the fuck do you deal with minds this tiny? And there are tens of millions of them from coast to coast.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:40 pm 59

I have thought for a long time now that Christian schools should be mandated to teach Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin, Greek and English if they’re going to teach the Bible as a way of knowledge rather than belief.

Because a funny thing happens along the way. One realizes that cultures evolve and have language preferences for beliefs. It’s inescapable once you’re schooled in it. And it becomes totally harder to spin dogma.

Just saying…

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:40 pm 60

As far as ‘writing our own texts’ goes, the price of college level texts is getting so far out of hand that some of my colleagues are looking into open source texts.

EvilDrPuma | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:41 pm 61

Seriously, how the fuck do you deal with minds this tiny?

Rubber mallet.

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:41 pm 62
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 57

iirc it depends on who the home school is affiliated with — if they are registered as home schooled via public school or other (ie charter, parochial, church, etc) school.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:43 pm 63
In response to georgewalton @ 58

I am not sure that you can legitimately call them “minds”. They are more like disorganized neural ganglia.

SunnyNobility | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:43 pm 64

Indeed. Washington Monthly is on the case: here and here.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:44 pm 65
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 59

I have a nephew who wants to be a preacher. I’ve tried to tell him, “You’ve got to learn Hebrew, Koine Greek, and Aramaic. Latin wouldn’t hurt.”

His response: “I’ve got dictionaries.”

Which just proved to me that his high school failed him. He doesn’t understand that language is more than grammar and syntax, and dictionaries ignore grammar.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:45 pm 66
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 60

I am moving away from textbooks in many of my upper level classes in favor of articles and chapters from books which I make available as .pdf files on Blackboard. I get better coverage and they save a butt load of money.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:45 pm 67

I’m not sure what it means, but the testimony was cut short and the vote postponed – next month, I think? (not lookng up–working on computer problems in the background).

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:46 pm 68
In response to Suzanne @ 62

I can’t claim to know the ins and outs of it. I was never tempted to home school my kids outside my area of expertise (math sciences). I limited my home schooling in that to supplemental learning.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:47 pm 69
In response to tejanarusa @ 67

Dare we hope that a significant backlash is emerging to this wholesale rewriting of the world?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:48 pm 70

I wish I could do that. But the notation isn’t unified, and most of the stuff in the statistics literature is too arcane for use in anything outside a doctoral seminar on the topic.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:48 pm 71
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 68

Really varies tremendously by state, as each has their own rules.

SunnyNobility | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:48 pm 72

Oops. What’s your beverage of choice?

RonD | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:49 pm 73

I had the exquisite experience of doing essentially this while teaching this past fall. The book was an atrocity, so I used the table of contents as an outline, then just wrote my own curriculum. The kids loved it, and just absolutely stomped ass on their county mandated exams-up by almost twenty points over last year.
I got away with it, too. My internship ended just as questions were starting to come up.

‘evenin’, all.

drouse | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:49 pm 74
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 60

Tell me about it. Even though it has been twenty years, I’m still pissed about having to pay 72 dollars for a brand new text and it was only used for one semester. When you’re going to school on a budget, eating the cost of a text sucks.

bigbrother | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:49 pm 75

My lawyer friend that is a member of The National Lawyers Guild says that there is a movement to impeach the 5 supreme court justices that voted down our constitution. Heard anything?

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:50 pm 76
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 70

Yeah, I know the feeling. I have to be rather selective for upper division classes and cannot do that at all for lower division classes for the same kinds of reasons.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:50 pm 77
In response to SunnyNobility @ 72

A nice Bushmill’s on the rocks would work right now.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:53 pm 78
In response to drouse @ 74

My department has gotten much more concerned about that and try to use the same texts for several years if possible. Unfortunately the publishers insist on coming out with new editions ever couple of years to kill the used book market.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:54 pm 79

говорите по-русский, келли?

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:54 pm 80
In response to bigbrother @ 75

That would be cool. Even just Roberts would be wonderful.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:54 pm 81
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 65

His heart is prolly in the right place. But the MIND!

It’s interesting about culture and language. For instance food.

Food taboos come about because of culture, and then are expressed in language, and then frequently in dogmatic law.

So “cloven hooves” are forbidden in the kashra of Orthodox Jews largely because of the observance of trichinosis, much like only the front end of the cow is kosher because of salmonella. “Don’t eat that, it ain’t no good.”

These cultural observances of health are embedded into the culture, then the language, then the law.

Why these ideas don’t evolve over time and technology, refrigeration and other cleanliness rules, speaks VOLUMES to the power of culture upon language. And observing language over language over time, really makes a difference, so yep – Dictionaries it is!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:55 pm 82
In response to bigbrother @ 75

Who is the National Lawyer’s Guild?

And who would preside over the impeachment of Chief Justice Roberts? I’d love to volunteer but I’m probably not qualified.

bigbrother | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:56 pm 83

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:56 pm 84

There’s always been a significant number of Texans who object to the stupidity of the Board – but they run in special elections, IIRC, the kind that nobody but the activists vote in, so the RW’rs keep getting elected.

Loo Hoo. | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:56 pm 85

AP-

PORTLAND, Ore. — Oregon voters have given their approval to measures that raise taxes on businesses and the wealthy.

Voters in Tuesday’s special election approved Measure 66, which raises rates on people earning well above six figures, and Measure 67, which increases business taxes.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:57 pm 86

говорите по-русский, келли?

But of course! My pronunciation sucks, but hell, you can’t play Tschaikowski, Rachmaninoff or Scriabin without govoreetin’ a bit of the russki.

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:57 pm 87
In response to Loo Hoo. @ 80

Alito and Scalia would be nice as well. We can leave Clarence. I would love to watch him squirm impotently at his total irrelevance.

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:58 pm 88
In response to Loo Hoo. @ 85

alternate min business tax in oregon is $10. raised that and raised income tax on individuals over $125,000 and couples making more than $250,000. is retroactive and applies to taxes collected this year for last year.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 08:58 pm 89

Talk with your publishers about custom publishing. They’ll sell the book at a substantial discount, but your students can still resell it to your bookstore.

And best of all, (Pearson at least) will publish the same thing as long as I want it. I’m off the new edition treadmill for the rest of my career!

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:00 pm 90
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 81

I’m not certain that his heart’s in the right place — I think he’s guilt-ridden over some things in his past, and this is a coping mechanism.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:00 pm 91
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 82

If you asked the FBI – or a Republican – NLG is a “Communist front group.” They are very leftist lawyers; were formed decades ago in contrast to the ABA. I have to admit, having attended a few meetings of the law school chapter, I didn’t join – they were too radical even for me.
But they have been out front on many many liberal issues — prematurely anti-racist, in Stalin-speak, for example, or anti-war, etc. They often provide lawyers for folks arrested at various kinds of protests, and represent unpopular folks who can’t find lawyers otherwise, etc., etc. Good people, IOW.

in their own words:

The National Lawyers Guild is dedicated to the need for basic and progressive change in the structure of our political and economic system. Through its members–lawyers, law students, jailhouse lawyers and legal workers united in chapters and committees–the Guild works locally, nationally and internationally as an effective political and social force in the service of the people.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:01 pm 92

Could Clarence find his way to chambers without Antonin to guide him?

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:02 pm 93
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 89

We have negotiated a custom B&W edition of the text we are currently using for intro at a substantial discount.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:02 pm 94
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 86

You learned Russian from music? Nah, you didn’t learn to write just from bits of Tschaikovsky and Rachmaninoff. C’mon, give, you studied, didn’t ya?
You sound like a language person, anyway.
молодец!anyway.

bigbrother | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:03 pm 95

To bargaincountertenor
They are a liberal lawyer group http://nlg.org/resources/publications.php check it out other stuff they do
The National Lawyers Guild Condemns Illegal Israeli Massacre of over 300 Gazans, Calls for Ceasefire and Urges Participation in Protests
National Lawyers Guild Condemns Fabrications of Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher and Preventative Detention Arrests
National Lawyers Guild President and Past Presidents Urge Texas Governor Rick Perry to Stay Execution of Jose Medellin
National Lawyers Guild Applauds Inter-American Court Decision Upholding the Human Rights of Former Haitian Prime Minister Yvon Neptune; Urges Rapid Compliance With Judgment
JOHN YOO, DAVID ADDINGTON STONEWALL CONGRESS; NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD URGES SPECIAL PROSECUTOR, CONGRESSIONAL WAR CRIMES COMMISSION
NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD SAYS POLITICS MOTIVATED DECISION IN CUBAN FIVE CASE
NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD CALLS ON BOALT HALL TO DISMISS LAW PROFESSOR JOHN YOO, WHOSE TORTURE MEMOS LED TO COMMISSION OF WAR CRIMES
NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD CALLS ON CONGRESS TO OVERRIDE BUSH VETO OF INTELLIGENCE AUTHORIZATION BILL
NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD DEPLORES HUMANITARIAN CRISIS IN GAZA CAUSED BY ISRAELI BLOCKADE AND FUEL CUTOFF

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:04 pm 96
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 92

I am not sure that he can go to the bathroom without Antonin’s help, but that would just make it all the more pleasurable to watch.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:04 pm 97
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 65

Oh, my gawd.
This is what comes of things like Google “translator.”

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:05 pm 98

When the rep told me that I was off the new edition treadmill forever, I was ecstatic.

And I tell my kids who want the whole book that they’re welcome to buy it from any of the usual suspects.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:06 pm 99

Do you think he asked Antonin what that pubic hair was doing on his can of coke? Or was that his line of coke???

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:07 pm 100
In response to bigbrother @ 95

hey bb — please no all caps — they are difficult to read

DrDick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:07 pm 101
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 99

LOL!

Time for me to toddle off. The corrupting continues in the AM. Take care all.

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:08 pm 102

g’nite dr dick

SunnyNobility | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:08 pm 103

Here ya go. Drink hardy.

drouse | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:08 pm 104
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 82

After reading what Glenzilla had to say about it and giving it some thought, my take is that they stayed within the letter of the law but violated the spirit outragously.

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:10 pm 105
In response to BargainCountertenor @ 37

but nutria aren’t native to LA. They came up from So. America.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:10 pm 106
In response to tejanarusa @ 97

I gave up on Google (and Alta Vista and Babelfish and …) translator when I discovered that I can do a better job with the languages I know. Computers can do a decent job with easy grammar and syntax. They don’t do any sort of job with connotation, and don’t even try idioms.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:11 pm 107
In response to tejanarusa @ 94

Well, yeah, music and language went together for me. Love them both mightily.

Yanno, the musical scores aren’t always equal. The ones I prefer to use are called “Urtext” which means the scores are printed with ONLY what the original composer wrote on the page. Not a jot extra or different.

So in the particular case of the Russians, there’s not a whole lot of standard Italian musical lingo on the score. Which leads to questions, which leads to looking things up for understanding, which leads on to infinity…

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:13 pm 108
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 107

It’s funny how the Russians (and Percy Grainger) felt free to use the local language. Everybody else stuck to one degree or another with Italian, maybe supplemented by the native tongue.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:15 pm 109
In response to Mary McCurnin @ 105

But they’re big old rats, completely appropriate for Landrieu’s office.

drouse | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:15 pm 110

Impeaching a Supreme court justice is just a plain difficult thing to do. The old saying about a dead hooker or a live boy comes to mind.

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:16 pm 111

yep. true dat.

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:17 pm 112

Yep.

I was downgraded in a composition class for writing “Louder Than Hell!!!” instead of ffff on a piano piece.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:17 pm 113
In response to Mary McCurnin @ 105

Have you ever seen a jutia? They are a like a nutria, and are used as food and religious offerings in African syncretic religions. Freaky looking…Nutria made an appearance on a Seinfeld episode re: a Russian fur hat

I love when New Yorks come ot LA and say “You have the BIGGEST rats here…” and they mean our ‘possums!

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:20 pm 114
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 107

Very interesting. “Ur-text?” in music? Never heard that before – but that also tells me you got an ear/mind for language.

I always thought language and music might be on opposite sides of the brain. My 1st husband was a math and science person, loooooved math, very creative. Also had an ear and talent for music. Heard things I can’t hear no matter how hard I try (musically, I mean).

But he was horrible at language (including English, his native language; grammar, word choice, etc., not so great, stringing words together – not great). He barely passed college Spanish, despite my constant efforts to tutor him. Especially pronunciation – it seemed he simply could not hear the sounds in a way that he could reproduce it. Grammar seemed beyond his grasp. In grad school, he passed the language requirement only because the PhD program wouldn’t have stood for the instructors failing their candidates.

Anyway, I love your story. Where did you find your ur-texts? On-line, or before on-line?

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:21 pm 115
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 112

LOL.

You should have written “Louder than a boiler room floor!”

Kelly Canfield | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:22 pm 116

Have a good night everyone – gotta go!

xxoo
K

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:23 pm 117

A walmart in Abbeville, LA. was sort of kept as a pet.

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:24 pm 118
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 116

g’nite kelly

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:24 pm 119

Let me rephrase that.

A nutria was kept as a pet in a Walmart in Abbeville, LA>

SunnyNobility | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:24 pm 120
In response to SunnyNobility @ 103

Geeze. And with the academics…

Here ya go. Drink hardy hearty.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:25 pm 121
In response to tejanarusa @ 114

‘night, Kelly

Margot | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:33 pm 122
In response to AZ Matt @ 36

They might wanna try reading it once in a damn while, instead of just polishing it with Lemon Pledge there on the coffee table.

tejanarusa | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:35 pm 123
In response to Mary McCurnin @ 119

Whew! You had me scrolling up to re-read, see if I could make sense out of that….
It’s late, huh, Mary?

openhope | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:37 pm 124

Thank you, Lisa !!!
This is exactly why we chose to homeschool 21 years ago. We chose to Unschool, under the radar and knowing that if we were caught our kids would be tested on absolute bullshit, thrown into school and we’d face a $900 fine per kid. [got 2].A significant money consideration for people who put their careers into low drive to raise children and value time over money. The kids violin teacher was a Rutgers, Manhattan School of Music PHD. He accepted them as students because they understood the value of being prepared for lessons. They were the first young children he agreed to teach Suzuki theory to. He had the training but was way beyond that. He only accepted accomplished students so the kids had to auition. It was a blast ! He was young, energized and taught the love of music. We weren’t tied into a schedule so we just fit into whatever his was.
After 6 years he suddenly announced that he was going on a world tour and would end lessons in 2 weeks. I was heartbroken. All these years and just when they were starting to sound GOOD when they practiced. The kids were excited to switch to electric guitar and move on. One door closes, another opens. So we found a kick ass guitar teacher for 4 years. Another artist who wouldn’t take bullshit excuses if the student wasn’t prepared.
We had a wonderful retired gasoline engine guru teach them basic small engine maintenance. When they were 9 and 11 years old. He is a major force behind the Sprint car races in our area.
Because we didn’t have a traditional schedule we could afford to travel during off season and get to know the service people taking care of us in a casual way. The hotel staff in DC is so much more relaxed off season. We could talk about where they were from and what was going on in their country with incredible friendship. If we gave nothing to our children; the gift of traveling to explore with humility, to find excitement and friendship is worth it.
We also taught them how to walk down a city street since babyhood. Enjoy yourself but look in the windows to see what’s happening behind you and turn around to watch the street every so often.
And the biggy; Question Authority. Even mine. Make sure it’s worth it, cause it ain’t going to be easy.
The biggest concern I have for our totally fucking fucked up “institutional Education System for the Masses” is that children need to grow muscle during their early years. Serious muscle. It is what human offspring were meant to do. Without that strong focus on moving through space on their own power they loose a sense of personal space. IMHO
I spent 13 years reading aloud on a daily basis. Something my family was raised with as my father read aloud in the evenings. It’s very cool because you’re all on the same chapter of the same book. Makes for good conversation and critical thinking skills becoming dialogue in a relaxed nature.
Okay, I’ll stop now. I could go on and on and on…..
But ,I’m grateful to have a space to talk about learning. I have been dealt some real insults on FDL for being a Homeschooler. It’s an acceptable slander among certain liberals who know no better. But we can all learn. Still, the stereotyping has to stop.
There was a bizarre question school parents would ask when the kids were young. ” If they don’t have grade levels, how will they know when to stop studying?”. My answer, ” When they’re dead.”.
Thank you, Lisa. I needed an opportunity to get this

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:44 pm 125
In response to openhope @ 124

When they’re dead…
hahaha. Love it.
Mine went to Montesorri and loved it. Very unstructured but structured around learning. They could both read at four or five and say they really appreciated the experience.

I hated school but I went to one of the worst public systems in the country. Metairie. LA.

Adams | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:48 pm 126

Damn, you guys are so off topic. Meanwhile, I’ve been doing serious research. Pulled down my copy, speed read the text, checking for subversive code. There’s plenty, believe me. But the real giveaway is the picture on the last page. The teacher who is looking at you is obviously Sarah Palin. No one else could wear those glasses (ok, Tina Fey, but no one else for sure.) You won’t get any of that funny stuff past her, she’s watching.

Broadening my search, I took a look at the Sandra Boynton series. “Stomp your feet! Clap your hands! Everybody ready for a Barnyard dance!” Obviously a call to revolution.

And get this. Boynton went to Yale with Paul Krugman, a Commie if there ever was one.

You can’t be too careful, they’re everywhere. My god, what have I done to my children.

Mary McCurnin | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:52 pm 127
In response to Adams @ 126

I wonder if Paul Krugman has written any children’s book?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:54 pm 128
In response to openhope @ 124

Home schooling: It’s not just for conservative Christians anymore.

I know a number of Pagans and liburuls who home school. It has its place.

Thnaks for sharing that!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:55 pm 129
In response to Adams @ 126

Maybe you can save your kids by sending them to work on Michele Bachmann’s reelection campaign for summer vacation!

drouse | Tuesday January 26, 2010 09:56 pm 130
In response to Adams @ 126

Have you ever known or even talked to a known commie? Substitute jihadist at will.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:00 pm 131
In response to georgewalton @ 58

Thnak you for further clarification and support of my theory!

Suzanne | Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:02 pm 132

thanks again for hosting a great late nite thread lisa — always look forward to all your posts and i check lafiga regularly.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:02 pm 133
In response to drouse @ 130

Weird but true story: My uncle’s first wife was a member of a Communist cell in NYC. He was called to testify in the Rosenberg trial. And he told me the way the would identify each other was the contacts would each have half a torn playing card.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:04 pm 134

considering I was like 8 when I was told this story I was more reeling fom the idea that Unlce Joe was married before he married my mom’s sister, since i had know him my whole life…

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:05 pm 135

family weirde history translated through mom..

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:05 pm 136

And on that note: Niight all and THANKS!

openhope | Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:45 pm 137
In response to Mary McCurnin @ 125

Being Unschoolers we didn’t put value on reading early. Actually, our motto was, Early is Not Better for academics. A tough pill for MY parents to swallow early on. We were all nervous about the potential outcome of our experimenting with the children’s lives. In those days we were the rebels who knew we had a clearer vision of Learning then the schools offered. With much research and learning on our own.
It turned out awesome, this idea of not requiring young children to use their exploratory skills on hieroglyphics. Humans don’t develope an Abstract Brain until 8-15 years of age. It just doesn’t make sense to force them to focus on abstract requirements when they are totally geared toward Real Life experiences and the learning that happens deep down. I was freaking out in a quiet way when my kids where 8′ish and could read but didn’t on their own without me pushing/forcing it. I was wailing,” Why don’t they want to read for pleasure?”.
Now that they’re adults they say, ” I don’t have a book. Got any suggestions?”. They are Trained To The Book. I WIN.
My coolest new book is, ” Crop Circles. Signs,Wonders and Mysteries” by Steve and Karen Alexander. I just ordered another book from our local bookstore. $13 and hard bound, not paper back. Got the young one’s drawn back in to conversations with that one ! Though they’re not around that much anymore.

openhope | Tuesday January 26, 2010 11:19 pm 138

I should end my PowerPoints for Homechooling with this story.
We chose to live on the beach in a funky yet awesome cabin in the Pacific Northwest. It requires fortitude to live like this. Part of our parenting theme was that they should learn to read nature, animals, people. emotions while they were young. The actual learning to read process was better left until they had real life learning under their belt. Taking care of dogs,bunnies,guinea pigs,ponies. All these creatures are reliant on YOU for food,water,exercise. You are the master of their universe, so don’t blow it.
It was hard to watch the bunnies[ in their awesome warren] go without food a few nights. Not consecutive, I snuck a little food in. But the realization of how hungry the bunnies were and how the lack of responsibility had affected them in a real way was priceless. Only a starving , beloved bunny can reach you to the core of your soul. Blow them off and they suffer. I never had to do more then ask, ” Have the animals been fed and watered?” after that trauma of realization of responsibility.

openhope | Tuesday January 26, 2010 11:44 pm 139

Back in the day; the Communist cells were often young idealists searching for Karl Marx’s vision of society. Not the ugly shit the power Elite turned it into via propaganda.
Several of my parents friends were blackballed during the McCarthy reign. One woman who was studying Communist writings rejected her boss’s amorous pursuits.He reported her as a Communist. She was assigned by the fucking FBI to study the writings of current Communists. They still fucking highjacked her career on his say so. The same happened to others during the 1955 collapse of the United States Congress. Ruined their careers in ways they never were privy to, information data wise. No promotions, no explanations. My dad found out about a few because he was top clearance and wanted some people to join the writing team for the manuals on “How To Blow Up The World”. There are manuals.. They were not accepted.

Teddy Partridge | Tuesday January 26, 2010 11:59 pm 140

Best.
Lafiga.
Post.
Ever.

virescentgirl | Wednesday January 27, 2010 03:51 am 141

This is ridiculous! Brown Bear was one of my favorite books! ::Sighs:: people are too paranoid. Kids at the age of this book are learning more from their parents arguing than connecting the color of a bird to communism – despite the fact that red also means passion, love, anger, and a number of other culturally biased meanings. In Japan, red is the color of the traditional wedding gown. ::too early in my morning to be worried about stupid people like the ones reading into this childrens book.

Adams | Wednesday January 27, 2010 08:17 am 142
In response to drouse @ 130

Commie, yes. Jihadist, no. Why do you ask?

Adams | Wednesday January 27, 2010 08:24 am 143

What a great idea, but they’re already signed up for a theatrical workshop. They’ll be acting out all three originally published volumes of Capital. Not much doubt these days about who wins the class struggle, is there?

rebeccabellmetereau | Wednesday January 27, 2010 11:36 am 144

While this is an amusing anecdote, it is also a sobering reminder that we need more educators on the board, and that we need to bring the focus of the board back to educating future generations of Texans. This is why I’m running for Texas State Board of Education, District 5. Visit http://www.voterebecca.com for more information.
Rebecca Bell-Metereau