jesus-dinosaur

Is this social Darwinism? The Religious Right is feeling the economic pinch as Rick Warren begs for dough, and Focus on the Family laid off 150 more staff members, but is willing to drop $4 million on a Super Bowl ad.

I can’t help but think this is God’s way of telling Rick Warren to STFU.  The megachurch pastor, liar and pop feel-good author took the internet to plead for his congregation to dig deep and donate $900,000 within the next 48 hours. Or else the godless heathen homo-lovers win.

With 10% of our church family out of work due to the recession, our expenses in caring for our community in 2009 rose dramatically while our income stagnated. Still, with wise management, we’ve stayed close to our budget all year. Then… this last weekend the bottom dropped out. On the last weekend of 2009, our total offerings were less than half of what we normally receive – leaving us $900,000 in the red for the year, unless you help make up the difference today and tomorrow.

With 22,000 members, that’s about $41 per person. And $900,000 a huge deficit caused simply by a low dip in one weekend’s donations — kinda makes you wonder what the weekly take is. And why the IRS doesn’t consider taxing churches…

In other broke, morally bankrupt rightwing church news, Focus on the Family –which, citing a decrease in donations, laid off employees in 2005, 2006, 2007 twice in 2008 and in September of this year let go another 8% of their staff, a almost 500 people total – -is poised to spend approximately $4 million on a Super Bowl commercial promoting their anti-choice agenda.

A source says the new head of Focus, Jim Daly, spoke at an evangelical conference a few months ago and unveiled the Super Bowl ad plan. Then he begged for donations from like-minded organizations. According to the source, Daly was given about $3 million, and Focus dipped into its general fund for the other $1 million.

Focus on the Family spokesman Gary Schneeberger said of the layoff:

The economic reality out there is recession. Faced with that, we looked at everything we could do to improve structure, strategy and efficiency while carrying out the work we’re called to do — helping families thrive.

But isn’t keeping families employed the best way to help them thrive?

The Super Bowl ad must be approved by CBS and the NFL. In the past both anti-abortion and pro-choice ads have been nixed.

Focus on the Family’s latest budget woes were due in part to spending to defeat civil marriage equality legislation which outstripped donations.

Why do I feel some prayers are being answers as these two bastions of bigotry are having trouble ends meet and are thus being exposed as money-grubbing Mammon-huggers?

102 Responses to "Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church Needs $900,000 ASAP; Broke Focus on the Family Wants to Spend $4 Million on Super Bowl Ad"
Teddy Partridge | Thursday December 31, 2009 10:41 am 1

What a sleazebag Warren is — how many families cut back on their post-Xmas clothes shopping so he could have another gold-plated commode? Truly and awful man.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:38 pm 2

I can’t help but think this is God’s way of telling Rick Warren to STFU.
Oh, you just crack my shit up, Lisa. And, don’t look at me. I wasn’t praying for justice for Ricky. I keep it close to home. Something like, oh, please, Gawd, give me patience.
I’m really trying not to fall on the floor laughing, ’cause I haven’t vacumned today and there’s a lot o’ dog hairs.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:42 pm 3

There’s a big bright spot here; FOTF won’t be half as vigorous as they’d like with the return of the Personhood Amendment on CO’s 2010 ballot.

On the other hand, Malkin lives down in the Springs, next to those unemployed FOTF, so she’ll have quite the ready teabager army available.

Win some, lose some!

Cujo359 | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:43 pm 4

Editing suggestion: “Why do I feel some prayers are being answered as these two bastions of bigotry”

In answer to that question, I’d say that no one’s prayers are being answered. To think that some entity that runs the universe has time for stuff like this speaks to the sort of thinking the Dobsons and Warrens of the world prey on.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:43 pm 5
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 1

Hey, if they did that, then they deserve Whatevah. Silly evangels. I mean, you lay down with the dogs, what do you expect. Shudder.

fuckno | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:46 pm 6

Jesus, that’s one big fucking Christ riding the back of that Barapasaurus.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:46 pm 7
In response to Cujo359 @ 4

People like Rick Warren think they’re smarter than others. Including that entity. The God they created didn’t come through? Where are they going to turn now?

eCAHNomics | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:49 pm 8

Hey, the return of the schadenfreudefest. It was the only circus during the W years, and, so it seems likely, during the O years as well.

eCAHNomics | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:50 pm 9
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 3

Malkin lives in Colorado Springs. Why am I not surprised.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:54 pm 10
In response to eCAHNomics @ 9

Ahh, but here’s the thing;

Prepare Ye, CO Springs, for yer Homersekshual Overlords!

The only changes you will notice is that food will suddenly become better, people will be more polite, dance better, and everyone will look 10 years younger, due to the upcoming Fashion Restrictions we shall institute.

If revenge ain’t sweet, well, why bother? Just saying….

aardvark | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:55 pm 11

One would wish these would put a damper on those espousing the “prosperity” Gospel adherents; unfortunately, as cognitive dissonance research has shown time and again, being confronted with a reality different only makes these folks find alternative mythical explanations for their beliefs. Oh, for a revival of the Enlightenment.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:56 pm 12

Bwhahaha! did you see Attaturk this morning he noted the Moonie times is laying off 40% of the staff and canceling the sports page Elitists Moonies to good for the sports page and the GOP calls us Elites.
Now your saying the Bush economy is taking out the Mega Church Fundies the wealth is a sign God loves you crowd!
GOP media and GOP churches taking a hit we just might have some hope this election.

shootthatarrow | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:56 pm 13

Always a mystery–these mega church preachers and their mega church setups as to how they square teachings of JC with what they are or do.

Rick Warren,Oral Roberts,Jerry Falwell,Pat Robertson,Robert Schuller,the Bakers and the past All Star of the bunch — the Reverend Jimmy Swaggart–all doing versions of Elmer Gantry.

Saddleback goes saddlebroke and Rick Warren likely had issues with Brokeback Mountain.

…the wheel of life goes round and round.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:57 pm 14

Is the super bowl ad a plea for cash?

Synoia | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:58 pm 15

$900,000 short because of one weekend being low? Possibly, it was Christmas, which with Easter is a big collections day for the church.

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 02:58 pm 16
In response to demi @ 7

Have the mammaries of Mammon become mastitic?(no pun intended).

vegasboomer | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:00 pm 17

Let Us Prey.

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:01 pm 18
In response to shootthatarrow @ 13

I always thought it should be named “Saddle BAGS” Church.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:01 pm 19

Still, with wise management, we’ve stayed close to our budget all year.

Uh wise management is not living week to week on your paycheck if you can cut back spending and put something off into savings.
Nobody in his church looking at his books told him that?

ART45 | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:01 pm 20

Sorry, Lisa.

The problem isn’t Rick Warren or his flock.

The problem is directing energy away from the real problem — corporate control of government. HNY.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:02 pm 21

Did God promise to call him home if people don’t give? please please please!

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:03 pm 22
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 19

Nobobdy looking at the books.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:08 pm 23

Prayers nope its Voodoo all the GOP’s children are on the list after what Bush did to New Orleans!
I must remember to sacrifice 4 Fried Chickens now first Rush gets sick, Focus on the Family and Rick Warren are having cash problems plus the Moonie Times?
This day is Great for the Left what a way to start out the year:)

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:09 pm 24
In response to ART45 @ 20

Dude, Lisa is covering her beat here at FDL which is relgion and pop culture.

I’m glad to see her posts as it helps break up the other Issue posts, where FDL covers those “real” problems.

——
I’ll buy you a cyber drink! What’ll you have?

As for me, I’m gonna go fetch some champagne I’ve been chilling out in the snow if you’re interested

Badwater | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:09 pm 25
In response to demi @ 7

They could all move to their operations to Bush Brush Ranch. It’s not being used anymore, really. The rent would be free because the Decider is so religious.

RevBev | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:10 pm 26

The liberation theology so mocked during the campaign holds to the Biblical claim of God’s preferential option for the poor. Maybe there are lessons here.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:10 pm 27
In response to Cujo359 @ 4

Humor Cujo:)

openhope | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:11 pm 28
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 19

I’m hoping the person in charge of the books has fleeced the Fleecer of the Flocks.

Jo Fish | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:12 pm 29

I’m certain that if Rick and and the Focus crew got down on their knees and preyed they’d get the money they needed. A gloryhole with a slot to slide bills through would work quite nicely. And they could keep the change.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:12 pm 30
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 24

Smooth move, gentleman. My hat’s off to you.
Now, can I have a drinky too?

Loo Hoo. | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:12 pm 31
In response to fuckno @ 6

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:13 pm 32
In response to RevBev @ 26

When was liberation theology mocked in the campaign and by who? Lib theology while the last Pope banned it is the only modern religion that keeps me kind Catholic.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:13 pm 33
In response to Badwater @ 25

Birds of a feather.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:14 pm 34
In response to demi @ 30

What’ll ya have, me darling?

(Sorry to be too familiar but I love that pic of you on FB! :) )

openhope | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:14 pm 35
In response to Jo Fish @ 29

Brain bleach!!!!

Xenocrates | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:15 pm 36

In the immortal words of Mr. C. Montgomery Burns: “Anyone have change for a button?”

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:16 pm 37
In response to openhope @ 28

Its either a crook or really really stupid financial planning a crook is the good scenario. After all how many people want to be lead by a pastor who never read the bible?
Seven good years save some grain because then you will have seven bad years?

SouthernDragon | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:17 pm 38

If Warren preaches the gospel of prosperity why are he and his flock broke?

If CBS turned down ads by both sides last year why would they spend the money to produce an ad? That dough’s gone, regardless. And I’ll bet their “media people” put a good chunk o’ dust in their pockets.

Are any pro-reproductive rights folks trying to get an ad on the SB?

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:18 pm 39

Did Obama cut that funding church’s and abstinence groups were getting? That might explain it?

RevBev | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:20 pm 40
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 32

Understood….mocked in the Rev. Wright attacks. Ridiculous, I know.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:20 pm 41
In response to SouthernDragon @ 38

Hang on there – isn’t the point that just simple stupid stuff should be advertised on the SuperBowl?

I mean zero politics.

Beer is usally good. Just saying…

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:20 pm 42
In response to SouthernDragon @ 38

If Warren preaches the gospel of prosperity why are he and his flock broke?

Don’t forget Focus on the Family and the Moonies but you have asked the best question that I feel deserves its own front page post.
My theory is that they are false prophets.

ART45 | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:20 pm 43
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 24

Want a date?

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:20 pm 44
In response to openhope @ 28

You mean some folks still have fleece for the fleecin’-after we’ve ALL been shorn by Wall Street?

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:22 pm 45
In response to RevBev @ 26

Yes! And, don’t forget that God doesn’t give us more than we can handle.
(I’m really, really, really trying not to smile too much.)

Cujo359 | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:22 pm 46
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 27

Irony – it’s a tough concept. I just saw a different irony, I guess.

SouthernDragon | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:23 pm 47
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 32

Aw, man, when the full contents of Rev Wright’s speeches were available, still are, there was a hue and cry about liberation theology. It’s revolutionary and a lot of folks, even a few here, were upset by them. Selise and I plastered links to them everywhere. *g*

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:24 pm 48
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 34

Do you have an open bottle of champagne?
That picture is ME! That’s my grandpug, Dangerous, too.
(And, it’s not a really old picture like some people post. *g*)

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:24 pm 49
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 41

That’s why I always refer to it as the “Stupor Bowl”.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:25 pm 50
In response to ART45 @ 43

On a strictly cocktail and platonic basis, SURE!

Christopher and I are celebrating finishing off our 10th year today, and starting our 11th.

Poor bastard. I pity him.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:25 pm 51

Elijah proposes a test of the powers of Baal and the God of Israel. The people of Israel, 450 prophets of Baal, and 400 prophets of Asherah are summoned to Mount Carmel. Two altars are built, one for Baal and one for the God of Israel. Wood is laid on the altars. Two oxen are slaughtered and cut into pieces; the pieces are laid on the wood. Elijah then invites the priests of Baal to pray for fire to light the sacrifice. They pray from morning to noon without success. Elijah ridicules their efforts. They respond by cutting themselves and adding their own blood to the sacrifice. They continue praying until evening without success.
Elijah now orders that the altar of the God of Israel be drenched with water (twelve barrels of water). He asks God to accept the sacrifice. Fire falls from the sky, igniting the sacrifice. Elijah seizes the moment and orders the death of the prophets of Baal. Elijah prays earnestly for rain to fall again on the land. Then the rains begin, signaling the end of the famine.

Time to get all Old Time Primeval on Rick and all the other False Prophets the Bible the literal word of God commands us.
As long as False Prophets are allowed to preach America is in Danger!
Purge the false Prophets before they lead us astray!

Kassandra | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:26 pm 52

Well, Obama did say “everyone will have to sacrifice”
Then bankers escaped and most of Wall Street. Maybe these churches are “too big to fail” too and he can reach down into his money bag (US) and find a few faith-based initiatives to tide them over?

That said…I guess there’s always a silver lining.;-)

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:26 pm 53
In response to Cujo359 @ 46

Raven complains when I don’t get his jokes:)

ColeDBiers | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:26 pm 54

Im mailing 45 cents to Pastor Rick

Too bad for him 44 cents of it will be stuck to the upper right hand corner of the envelope.

RevBev | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:27 pm 55
In response to demi @ 45

Demi, Happy New Year….I think we have sorta done this run together. Maybe starting with Christy’s Pull Up a Chair….about the time we took up with ginger beer,I think. Have a great upcoming ’10.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:27 pm 56
In response to demi @ 48

Why, yes I do.

We’re out of the Schramsberg, but I got 2 of the Chat. St. Michelle Brut out in the snow. I can open one in half a mo! :)

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:28 pm 57
In response to SouthernDragon @ 47

People here were upset…ok. Good on you and Selise for plastering the links:)

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:28 pm 58
In response to ColeDBiers @ 54

Stylish!

Can I sit next to you?

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:29 pm 59
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 50

Happy Anniversary! We celebrated 6 years yesterday.

openhope | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:29 pm 60
In response to Gitcheegumee @ 44

This is true. But I still pony up for FDL,ACLU and a couple others because I’m trying to buy my way out of Hell.
Rick’s probably got some people like me on the other side of reality. Where hell is in the next life, not here on Earth.

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:29 pm 61
In response to ColeDBiers @ 54

Apparently inflation has hit your 2 cents worth.

Kassandra | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:29 pm 62
In response to Gitcheegumee @ 18

I always thought it WAS “Saddle Bags Church”…goes to show…………

SouthernDragon | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:29 pm 63
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 41

Oh, you’re right. I was just wondering if the pro-rr folks were banging their head against that wall again too. And if so, why. I don’t have digital teebee so I’m relieved of the temptation. IMHO no ad is ever gonna beat the EDS cat herding ad or original Apple ad anyhow.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:31 pm 64
In response to RevBev @ 55

(Clink!) Cheers, m’dear.
Yes we have/are/will.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:33 pm 65
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 56

Baby, your shit is way better than ours. I’m in line. Right now.
Oh, yeah. Rick Warren. Needs. A Diet. Or, a fasting. I hear that works.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:33 pm 66
In response to demi @ 59

Congrats! May you have 6 more!

(That’s what I always say to Chris on our day – may you have X more! Hah!)

Yesterday is our actual date too; we just agreed to make it New Years so it’s easy to remember, and that we have to party.

Yes, Lazy, but Fun!

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:36 pm 67
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 66

I worked ’till 8:oo last nite. He kindly/wisely offered to take me out. Nah, since I to be at work again at 8:oo this am. So, yes, Tonight’s The Night.
Not lazy, easier and better.

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:36 pm 68
In response to openhope @ 60

Has Rick ceased spinning the Golden Fleece*….or has that come unraveled?

(The Golden Fleece being the Prez)

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:36 pm 69
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 66

BTH, mine’s Chris, too. Ah ha!

solerso | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:37 pm 70

A-FUCKING-MAZING, these christians are panhandling to run a 3 million doallat political ad during the super bowl.Im sure jesus would approve. Oh yes. Its WAAAAAAYYYY past time to start taxing these “churches”. and they can close every god damn soup kitchen and do whatever elese they always threaten if they wish. good. it will put more pressure on society to deal with hunger and homelessness in a real, meaningful way, and these x-tian politicos and frauds and lobbyists can avoid paying taxes the way other self respecting corporations do, by cheating.

SouthernDragon | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:37 pm 71
In response to RevBev @ 55

I remember the ginger beer thing goin’ around.

RevBev | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:38 pm 72

OT: CBS includes coverage of Obama’s backtalk to Cheney…sounded good.

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:39 pm 73
In response to Gitcheegumee @ 68

I was thinking about the two of them when this story came out. Time for Ricky to call in his debt? Although there is some serious karma with him turning to his sheeples. Shrugging here.

solerso | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:40 pm 74

“But isn’t keeping families employed the best way to help them thrive?”

LOL. Oh only a christian righty would fail to catch that irony on the way out.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:41 pm 75

RevBev | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:41 pm 76
In response to SouthernDragon @ 71

It is such a treat…at my request, the nearby liquor store now stocks it. Sighhhhh. what an accomplishment. Happy ’10 from Angela and me….we appreciate your attention. She really is feeling better!!

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:41 pm 77
In response to demi @ 69

We’re fekkin STUCK with ‘em, eh? LOL!

msmolly | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:44 pm 78

Oh, can I have some, too?

*holds out champagne flute*

Happy New Year, my Firepup friends. Here’s hopin’ the next decade is better than the last.

We’re supposed to get heavy lake effect snow to celebrate New Years!

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:45 pm 79
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 75

Adorable! I will give you a kiss this time. Right on the old smackeroo.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:46 pm 80
In response to msmolly @ 78

I’m pouring Molly!

Hold it a little closer, mkay?

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:47 pm 81
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 77

Handsome, intelligent and talented always works for me.

SouthernDragon | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:47 pm 82
In response to RevBev @ 76

Happy 10 from me and da crew. Kismet’s got a funny tummy. Not interested in eating. Been through this once before with her. If she doesn’t eat by Sat morning she’ll get a little Cypro to jump start her appetite. We’ll see.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:48 pm 83
In response to demi @ 81

Yeah, it’s a nice pug you’re smooching on. :)

Lisa Derrick | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:52 pm 84

I wonder how long it took Pastor Rick to figure out they were 90K in the hole?

And Focus on the Family is just evil and hyprocitical.

meanwhile I am going ot a great party tonight with a special showing of Who’s Afraid of Virgina Woolf? and lots of tasty snacks. Our host (my fabulous hairdresser) even said I could bring my very large and somewhat flatulent dog! Now that’s hospitality, though I decline the option.

It’s a pajama party too if peole feel so inclined!

Winski | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:53 pm 85

WHAT A HACK !!! HA! Poor Rick..can’t make ends meet for his panty-raid tour..

This looks, smells, sounds and sits in the guy just like the SAME APPEAL that Oral Roberts made back in 1987 to his flock… He was a COMPLETE hack as well !!

Here’s the link – look it up..Then maybe send Rick a bag of rocks…

msmolly | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:53 pm 86
In response to Kelly Canfield @ 80

*sips carefully*

Ya never know what’s in the beverages sent through the toobz….

Thanks, Kelly! Congrats on the big anniversary!

msmolly | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:55 pm 87

Krugman has a funny one up!

2010

Where’s Punaise?

demi | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:57 pm 88

I want to know what the pajamas you’re taking look like. I do.

transparait | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:57 pm 89

That picture is frickin hilarious!

RevBev | Thursday December 31, 2009 03:58 pm 90

What a movie. I was really knocked over when I saw it again not long ago. It was much meaner than I had even recalled.

OT: Year in review of those who died, Teddy, of course. Is this the year when Camelot has ended? Feels like it…

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:04 pm 91
In response to solerso @ 70

Dropkick Me, Jesus by Bobby Bare Play song from Lala.com
Super Hits – 2007 – 2:39
Listen on: Lala – iLike – Rhapsody – Pandora

Drop Kick Me Jesus Through The Goalposts Of LifeDrop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life. End over end neither left nor to right. Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights …
bertc.com/subfour/truth/dropkick.htm – Cached – Similar

BOBBY BARE – DROPKICK ME JESUS LYRICSBobby Bare Dropkick Me Jesus lyrics . These Dropkick Me Jesus lyrics are performed by Bobby BareDropkick me, Jesus, through the goal posts of life En.
http://www.metrolyrics.com/dropkick-me-jesus-lyrics-bobby-bare.html – Cached – Similar

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:08 pm 92
In response to Gitcheegumee @ 91

BTW, the copyright on this ditty belongs to Black Sheep Music Company- I kid you not!

milly | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:17 pm 93
In response to solerso @ 70

So true. Maine came the closest of any state to voting in gay marraige. The Catholic church ran ads to defeat it. That is getting into politics…they should be taxed.

fuckno | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:17 pm 94
In response to ART45 @ 20

There you go!!

Albatross | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:26 pm 95

And here we have the Social Right slamming head on into the Economic Right. The Economic Right wants to impoverish the nation in order to disempower everyone and increase corporate profits; the Social Right wants to milk the population of their cash. Now that the Economic Right has succeed, the Social Right collapses…

But who will be left to fearmonger and exploit the poor?!

Lisa Derrick | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:27 pm 96

Does anyone remember the song which had a chorus Jesus is easy, just get down on your knees”

Gitcheegumee | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:36 pm 97
In response to RevBev @ 90

Hey, wouldn’t you LURVE an adaptation called”Who’s Afraid of Goldman Sachs?”

Obama would assume La Liz’ role, with Rahm ass-uming the Burton role.

Kelly Canfield | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:45 pm 98

It was Martin Mull. I can’t find a youtube though.

but there’s this….

JaneaneTheAcerbicGoblin | Thursday December 31, 2009 04:54 pm 99

Guess all that cash he spent on the “kill the gays” legislation in Uganda really ate away at his pocketbook.

freepatriot | Friday January 1, 2010 04:16 am 100

so this must be the first guy who ever went bankrupt overestimating the stupidity of Americans, right ???

and somebody said it could never happen …

(duckin & runnin)

onepodpastmember | Monday January 4, 2010 03:13 pm 101

Here’s what I have to say as a past member of Saddleback Church, keep in mind the mods will probably delete this free form of speech it’s part of the censorship in America these days.

My wife, my two kids and I once attended Saddleback every Sunday and supported the church by volunteering as well as financially, we took all the classes, I even tried to volunteer as a church photographer for baptism and other events. Oddly, no one ever got back to me on that either now that I think about it.

They had their 25th anniversary to be held at Angel Stadium. I wanted to volunteer, according to Pastor Rick and others, God says he has a plan for us all, and we all have gifts we can use to help the church family, so that’s what I set out to do.

I happen to be a photographer, I offered along with others to help in this position. However when I stood up one evening to ask some basic questions, when others at my table where not willing to ask about how we would go about our post as photographers, most of the other people at the table where either not experienced or not as naturally inquisitive as I was so I stood to ask questions. The woman seemed somewhat peeved at me for asking such detailed questions, rather than deferring to meet with me later, she became indignant towards me as if I was somehow questioning her position. Of course, my only intention was to ask questions on behalf of our group- giving of our time to help out.

The next thing I know, the assistant pastor to Rick Warren, his brother in-law calls me and says, you know…I don’t think we’ll need your help for the anniversary. I said why is that, he said well, it’s come to my attention that you and your wife are having some marital problems and, you see; “we don’t think it’s good for couples to volunteer because we’ve found the couples tend to ‘hide’ in their volunteerism and as a type of escapism from there problems.

I said to him, nothing could be further from the truth as far as we are concerned, we help out and volunteer because that’s what Pastor Rick says we should do.

Well, in the end there was no talking to him. I told him I believed he asked me not to volunteer as a photographer because of that lady that night at the volunteers meeting, he only became indignant and refused to talk to me, I’ll never forget this statement he said to me, ” Look, if you don’t like our church and our policies you should go look someplace else”

Now hows that for a church leader and “church family member”?

I will never go back to that church. I can’t believe Rick Warren asked for 900K from people who are strapped and struggling in Orange County, and supposedly got 2.5 million, this is coming from a guy who has made tens of millions from all his books, and from speaking engagements’, CD audio books, t-shirts etc and from his new “family magazine” now out at Boarders.

Pastor Rick who I have met, and gone to his Men’s Christian conference. Now strikes me as just another collector of money.

He’s what I refer to as a watered down Christian, who tells funny little jokes and reads from the bible but changes the words up to make it more palatable for the “modern day Christian”.

It’s not good to tell anyone essentially to get lost after clearly snubbing their nose at me, supposidly a fellow family member, “God’s got a plan for you, to fofill your purpose, and it’s to give to Saddleback to the tune of millions, no thanks.

I guess you gotta get that money from someplace Pastor Rick, lord knows all that money you make, must be going someplace huh?…
Keep on adding on to your mega church in the name of God.

onepodpastmember | Monday January 4, 2010 03:22 pm 102

In addition to Rick Warren being in the news for asking for 900K, maybe; if anyone is interested they should know that my family and have needed financial help and even asked about hardship gifts or loans, I’ve been looking for work for over 2 years, even to volunteer to do the only thing I know how, which is to use my professional photography skills and all they did was not return phone calls, not return emails, no one seemd to know their head from a hole in the ground in the office.

My family almost had no christmas this year, and I don’t see a single person reaching out to help us, we even gave to that church when we could not afford to, a few bucks here and there and this is how they treat us…, the pastors brother in-law saying if you don’t like it go someplace else…

You don’t have to tell me twice, thats for sure!

I only wish more people knew how we were treated there.