Late Night: Rock and Roll Will Never Die

I loved Brendan Mullen, I loved how he changed our world, he will be sadly missed. And during the process of seeing him pass yesterday, with his beloved wife Kateri, his friend of 32 yrs, bandmate Steve, and his cousin Naill; I saw, as well, true compassion from the doctors and nurses in the ICU, I saw the best health care could do. And I prayed a little that everyone is able to have the health care they deserve, and a life as full and beautiful as the ones Brendan created for himself and everyone he affected. Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers wrote:

When Brendan started the Masque, it was a pure act, creating a place for people he liked (the aforementioned bands and many others) to do their thing, have fun and get wild, no salesmen allowed. It became a nucleus for a thrilling new music environment that gave birth to the Southern California punk rock music scene, which later gave birth to some of the most important rock music to ever come out of California: X, Black Flag, Los Lobos and then later, the Minutemen, Jane’s Addiction and the (humbly I say) Red Hots. He also played drums for Hal Negro and the Satin Tones.

It was an exciting cross-cultural punk scene that embraced all races, genders, sexual orientations and any manner of deviant. It was beautiful. Just no phonies. Brendan Mullen was key in all of this. Brendan was also a part of and present for the first hip-hop scene that made its way to Hollywood, working on shows with Ice-T, Afrika Bambaataa and the Arabian Prince.

Goodbye Brendan, thank you.

87 Responses to "Late Night: Rock and Roll Will Never Die"
Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:21 pm 1

g’bye brendan thank you. thank you lisa.

ratfood | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:25 pm 2

Goodbye Brendan. Hello Lisa. I know you are grateful for the good times you shared with your friend. I’m also glad you were able to be there to provide some comfort at the end.

BargainCountertenor | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:25 pm 3

Hola, Lisa.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:26 pm 4

Hey all!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:27 pm 5

Brendan was so wonderful. He created himself and showed us how to be our dreams, to make new dreams, and to love music.

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:28 pm 6

hey lisa — you getting any of that ca storm or is it all north of ya?

ratfood | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:28 pm 7

Were you at the Masque reunion in Nov. ’07?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:29 pm 8

It is raining indeed!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:29 pm 9
In response to ratfood @ 7

yes and at the Masque book release…at the Echo

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:32 pm 10

I am soooo happy it is raining, we need it badly

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:35 pm 11

your first post about brendan brought back many musical memories lisa.

rock and roll never forgets

jayt | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:35 pm 12

From the clip – “It’s kind of an abnormal level of adrenaline”.

I’m kind of an adrenaline junkie, but I figure that that’[s what a band *should* be looking for….

ratfood | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:35 pm 13

Thank goodness for the inspired individuals who almost single-handedly give alternative music to the public. I saw many great shows during the ’80s, brought to this small corner of the universe (population well under 200,000) by one promoter who paid the acts our of his pocket and hoped to occasionally sell enough tickets to break even.

jayt | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:39 pm 14

It is raining indeed!

Never failed to freak me out that rain was front-page news in L.A.

I saw snow once in the Valley, at about 5:00 A.M. – up early to catch a flight.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:41 pm 15
In response to jayt @ 14

I had snow in the Valley once too! 1988

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:43 pm 16

i only got 1/4″ up here — my former town in the santa cruz mts got hammered — i’ve heard between 6″ and 9″ in the last 24 hours.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:45 pm 17

Wow, Suzanne, that is a lot of rain, I know they were calling for mudslides in La Canada/Station fire area. I am just glad I have a sump pump in the basement

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:46 pm 18

It has stopped here, but it has ben on and off since 10am

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:46 pm 19
In response to jayt @ 14

Rain is front page news just how many inches of rain you getting?

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:48 pm 20

the most i had there during the 5 years up there was a wee bit over 9. there were several days (and nights) i was checking the creek below my deck to see just how high it had risen and whether it had reached the other side of one tree’s base – if so, that was my cue to leave. never reached it during my time there — water moves off the mt pretty quickly.

what is needed is a day without rain otherwise things start sliding. the lockheed fire burn area has been evacuated since there is no vegetation to hold the ground in place.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:48 pm 21
In response to Suzanne @ 16

6 -9 inches of rain in 24 hours I wonder how this will effect crops in Northern California?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:52 pm 22
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 19

“It never rains in southern california

It is gets overcast we are on STORMWATCH 2009

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:52 pm 23
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 21

ending the strawberry season for sure

jayt | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:52 pm 24

I remember that I moved to L.A. in early June (of either 1980 or ’81( I have this thing by which I can no longer put events into the proper years – nervous breakdown damage), but I specifically remember that it didn’t rain until Nov. 5 of that year – and yes – the entire city freaked out.

I remember this date very specifically because Nov. 5 is my birthday.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:54 pm 25

I could smell the strawberry fields in Oxnard on the way up to Ventura saturday. As a kid my aunt had a beach house in Oxnard and I LOVED the mushroom growing barns in Oxnard.

I wouldnt eat starwberries until I was 13 or so..same with nuts, fish and avocados.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:56 pm 26
In response to jayt @ 24

Guy Fawkes Day.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:59 pm 27

Have not heard that song in years still this seems like allot of rain 9 inches in 24 hours? I don’t think I’ve seen that even in tornado weather.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 08:59 pm 28

Guy Fawkes of course became repopulaied vi the movie V, and theough Anonymous, the goofy protesters

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:01 pm 29

it was the 3rd of september

jayt | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:02 pm 30

took my then 17 year-old son to see that fantastic film – then spent the next hour and a half explaining it to him….

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:02 pm 31
In response to Suzanne @ 23

Besides, Pajaro Valley needs the rain, he said, alluding to diminishing levels of the groundwater that supplies nearly all the irrigation water used by growers.

“Overall, it’s a good for us,” Bontadelli said. “The rain is recharging the aquifer.”

Next year might be better if enough rain recharges the aquifier.

SunnyNobility | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:02 pm 32

NPR news reporting major flight delays in and out of northern CA

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:03 pm 33
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 27

Ireland had that this summer, ruined crops, rained non stop. I’m going to Ireland in december for a reunion of one their biggest bands, pre-U2 Horslips

The uh dont look like that nay more–and yes parts of spinal tap were based on them

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:04 pm 34
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 31

AQUIFER!

You know it pains me to see artificail snow being made when there is a drought, just saying…

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:04 pm 35

ooooh i am so jealous — ireland is on my list of places i wanna see. can i travel there vicariously with you? are ya gonna take a lotta pictures?

jayt | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:07 pm 36

stuff on tap tomorrow.

night all.

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:09 pm 37
In response to jayt @ 36

g’nite jayt

SunnyNobility | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:09 pm 38
In response to jayt @ 36

nite jayt. May the “stuff” be good.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:10 pm 39
In response to Suzanne @ 35

Yes and I’ll email some form my last trip there in 07

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:12 pm 40

sweet! thanks lisa

SunnyNobility | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:15 pm 41
In response to Suzanne @ 35

Had a chance to do a junior year in Dublin. Chickened out when my roommate’s parents wouldn’t let her go. Been kicking myself ever since. In those days Ireland was very inexpensive. Not so now.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:17 pm 42

I stay in Dalkey which is just outside dublin and then take the DART (the cty train) in and wander around. It’s so lovely. And sweet, GREAT museums and sights. Gorgeous vintage and estate jewelry…ohhhhhh, and history and so much architecture…

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:18 pm 43

i finally got my passport. now i need to save up for travel (after getting teeth of course)

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:19 pm 44

Good tune!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:23 pm 45

Just got my passport renewed and my roommate who is goig with me got her first one! we are so excited

darkblack | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:23 pm 46

As an ex-Angeleno who surfed the last breaking waves of the 80′s L.A. punk scene and made it back to shore without too many coral cuts…Condolences to the friends and family of someone who actually did something instead of sitting and bullshitting – and godspeed, Brendan.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:24 pm 47
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 44

Horslips are a lot of fun, they took traditionla Irisih tunes and rocked them up, and along they way taught hsitory and literature–they had a hole album based on the Tain and another ont he Book of Invasions, plus folklore etc…

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:25 pm 48

i’m gonna drive into bc just to get a stamp in it.. poor thing is so nekkid looking

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:26 pm 49
In response to darkblack @ 46

Thank you. Brendan made things happen, he changed lives, music, art and cluture in LA and beyond. His legacy is beyond words.

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:26 pm 50

So Ireland rain enough to ruib the crops, Northern California gets 6-9 inches of Rain in 24 hours ( inches of rain is something I have never seen in tornado weather weather patterns seem to be changing.
GLobal Warming? I don’t see the big food Companies making profit if nobody exports food because we all might starve.
Suppose this level of rain were to hit the Midwest during planting season and drown the crop? Food prices world wide would sky rocket.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:26 pm 51
In response to SunnyNobility @ 41

Hey Sunny,
I did a two month winter session in Ireland via U. of Delaware in 1971-72. We hitched and stayed with friends. It was cold and beautiful, and I had the worst case of flu in my life. I spent days hitching and throwing up and worse. STILL, a great experience, even with illness.

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:27 pm 52
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 50

horrifying thought!

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:28 pm 53

Who is Durig Doom in folklore ?

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:30 pm 54

hey db

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:32 pm 55
In response to Suzanne @ 43

Getting your passport is a wonderful thing! Think of all the possibilities.

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:36 pm 56
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 55

takes away one of my major excuses — i tend to procrastinate

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:36 pm 57

Dearg Doom, means Red Destroyer, comes from the Tain and is a name of Cu Chulainn.

darkblack | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:39 pm 58

Hey Suz – Travel tip, my American pals – Stay away from BC if you have any anti-Olympics gear in the house, or they’ll put ya in the brig.

Gordon Campbell makes Reagan look like Gandhi.

;>)

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:41 pm 59
In response to Suzanne @ 56

Don’t we all! But planning a trip, no matter how far, is the best — even if it may be years away. And teeth are next on list…ugh

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:41 pm 60
In response to darkblack @ 58

oh. well maybe i will put off that drive until after winter (and the olympics) are over. i’m still a rookie at this whole snow and ice stuff.

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:43 pm 61
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 59

more extractions on the 23rd. another step closer :)

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:46 pm 62

Thanks

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:46 pm 63

OUCH suzanne…

darkblack | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:47 pm 64
In response to Suzanne @ 60

Shoot, the worst time to drive in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland is when it snows – Nuttin’ but summer tires and brake pedal Alzheimer’s.

;>)

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:48 pm 65
In response to Suzanne @ 61

Damn. MrCE got two new front teeth last summer — took months and months, for crying out loud. And 4K dollars. I might be next with gum surgery. But I would rather think of Paris.

SunnyNobility | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:48 pm 66
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 51

I’m a fan of Maeve Binchy’s novels and short stories about Ireland. She takes me there. Great sense of place. Sense of humor too.

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:48 pm 67

tis all part of the process and another step closer. this is the second to last set of extractions — and then i get the upper as soon as they pull the last ones. they are made to be used immediately. i’ll walk out with more teeth than i walked in with.

and its not a cleaning. i hate those.

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:49 pm 68
In response to darkblack @ 64

exactly the kinda justification i need to put off that drive db :) my inner procrastinator thanks you

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:49 pm 69

One hundred heads are better than one ? Fights a 100 head monster or does he collect heads?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:50 pm 70
In response to Suzanne @ 67

Congratulations and best wishes!

tw3k | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:51 pm 71

the rock endures, the roll still lives, and the music shall never die

darkblack | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:52 pm 72
In response to Suzanne @ 68

Like Busted might say, it’s a case of traveller’s anal glaucoma – You just can’t see your ass getting there right now.

;>)

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:53 pm 73
In response to tw3k @ 71

Indeed, the road goes on forever and the song remains the same–well kinds, different beats, chords, lyrics–I think Led Zep meant the IDEA of the song…

Suzanne | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:53 pm 74
In response to darkblack @ 72

egg zachary db (laughing so hard i woke up token)

my passport is gonna have to spend the winter nekkid

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:55 pm 75
In response to tw3k @ 71

At least as long as there is evil to struggle against or need longing. Will there be music in Eden without Temptation and all desires fullfilled?

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:56 pm 76
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 69

Singlehandedly he takes on the defense of Ulster, harassing Maeve’s
soldiers, “And like a hawk I’ll swoop and swoop again”, beheading those who
stray from the main force.

ChristineEdmonson | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:56 pm 77
In response to SunnyNobility @ 66

Years ago I read a lot of Edna O’Brien, too. She made me weep. But lately, I just read non-fiction. What did you think of Frank McCourt’s books? And so sad he died.

tw3k | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:56 pm 79

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday October 13, 2009 09:57 pm 80

http://crydee.sai.msu.ru/public/lyrics/cs-uwp/h/horslips/the.tain has an in depth analysis of the Tain and the record based on it.

darkblack | Tuesday October 13, 2009 10:02 pm 81
In response to Suzanne @ 74

You wouldn’t want to tarry with those vile socialist savages when it’s cold, I’m told. They get quite truculent when the poutine tree sap freezes up Taronno way.

;>)

Larue | Tuesday October 13, 2009 10:04 pm 82

Lisa, so sorry for your loss.

But I’ve never heard of him, or the band.

Who is he, and they?

SunnyNobility | Tuesday October 13, 2009 10:04 pm 83
In response to Suzanne @ 60

Oh suz, BC is wonderful. If you drive up from Seattle (hour or two), you can catch the BC ferry over to Vancouver Island, which is great. There is (or was) a relatively small boat on a river that cuts through the island, taking hikers out to the pacific rim.

Best boat trip evah! Fabulous scenery and good company. Amazing to see how many folks live in isolation in houses floating on logs in the river. If I were going to totally withdraw from civilization, that’s where I’d go. (not so sure about the winter)

Larue | Tuesday October 13, 2009 10:06 pm 84
In response to Suzanne @ 16

We got 2.5″ in less than 24 hours, gal.

Was FUN watchin it all.

Sustained winds at 50mph+, all day.

*G*

Larue | Tuesday October 13, 2009 10:07 pm 85
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 21

The weed’s either been plucked, or raided by CAMP.

:rolleyes:

ThingsComeUndone | Tuesday October 13, 2009 10:16 pm 86
In response to Larue @ 85

Maybe you get enough rain for real plants now?

SunnyNobility | Tuesday October 13, 2009 10:20 pm 87
In response to ChristineEdmonson @ 77

I’ve only read Angela’s Ashes, magnificent – what an awakening. A sad loss.

I’m back to reading fiction lately. Love what is possible online, but the experience of a book in hand is special. Way too much unread non-fiction (and fiction, for that matter) around the house.

Doesn’t keep me out of used bookstores though.