Came across an Edwards’ flyer the other day from Feb. 5, 2008. Made me wistful for the visions for recovery he had.
Senator John Edwards ’08
"returning the government to the people"
"It is time for the American people to be patriotic about something other than war."
37 million Americans live in poverty
47 million Americans lack insurance
50% of all Americans live paycheck to paycheck
the top 300,000 Americans make more than the bottom 150 million.
5 million jobs have been sent offshore
there are over 60 lobbyists for each member of Congress
$23 million was paid out by lobbyists during the 2006 campaign
1% of imports are inspected
80% of toys come from China (1 million Fisher Price toys recently recalled for lead)
20% of drugs come from India and China
40% of active ingredients for drugs come from India and China
it costs $1 million to run for Congress
it costs $8 million to run for Senate
8 corporate conglomerates control the majority of media content
Mortgage payments are beginning to jump 30% each month for many homeowners. (The Secretary of Treasury has asked lenders to VOLUNTARILY freeze their rates and not let them explode on the homeowners. Only 1% have obliged thus far.)
* Universal Health Care providing full coverage for all Americans, with a choice between government or private insurance plans and subsidized premiums for low- and moderate-income families.
* 50,000 troops out of Iraq now; all combat troops out in 9-10 months.
* End poverty in America within a generation (as outlined in his book, Ending Poverty in America — a comprehensive, multi-pronged program to end poverty.)
* Fair wages and labor standards for all workers in the United States and with U.S. trading partners throughout the world.
* An end to corporate and big money influence on policymaking and legislation.
* Clean energy and "new energy technologies," without the use of nuclear power, creating one million "green collar" jobs in America.
* Restoration of our constitutional freedoms and the rule of law.
The same day I also came across a WaPo story of Obama golfing during vacation with the president of UBS Americas.
One of President Obama’s golfing buddies Monday was a top donor to his campaign and the president of a bank at the center of a U.S. investigation into illegal tax shelters.
Robert Wolf, the president of UBS Americas, a Swiss-based bank, joined Obama at the elite, and difficult, Farm Neck Golf Club in Oak Bluffs. Deputy press secretary Bill Burton described the two men as "friends."
According to news reports, Wolf and Obama met late in 2006 as the then-Illinois senator was about to launch his presidential bid. Wolf raised more than $250,000 for Obama’s presidential bid, according to a Post report last year.
But Wolf’s firm was caught up last year in a Senate probe of financial firms that attempted to shield millions of dollars in offshore accounts from U.S. taxes.
Last August, the Post reported, "The Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations completed its report on UBS’s role in helping wealthy investors shield money from federal taxes. Bank spokeswoman Rohini Pragasam said the donations were "categorically not connected" to the Senate inquiry. The bank also is under scrutiny by the IRS and the Justice Department."
To me President Obama just doesn’t seem terribly earnest about "returning the government to the people." I’m just sayin’. He’s playing at golf and cronyism.