Tehran Protests: Her Name Was Neda (Warning: Graphic Video)

The global community has been galvanized by the tweets, Facebook logins, cellphone pictures and reports from Iran. Now comes this video of a young a woman shot in Tehran by Basiji police force, which I came across after seeing  "neda" and  "#neda" on Twitter, where the words kept showing up in in the Tehran and Iran threads. "Neda" means "call" or "proclamation" in Farsi, an odd and chilling coincidence.

I clicked a couple links, and then a few more and found the details:

At 19:05 June 20th
Place: Karekar Ave., at the corner crossing Khosravi St. and Salehi st.

A young woman who was standing aside with her father watching the protests was shot by a basij member hiding on the rooftop of a civilian house. He had clear shot at the girl and could not miss her. However, he aimed straight her heart. I am a doctor, so I rushed to try to save her. But the impact of the gunshot was so fierce that the bullet had blasted inside the victim’s chest, and she died in less than 2 minutes.
The protests were going on about 1 kilometers away in the main street and some of the protesting crowd were running from tear gass used among them, towards Salehi St.
The film is shot by my friend who was standing beside me.
Please let the world know.

The video is extremely graphic, It also keeps getting pulled from YouTube, so you may have to search for NEDA to find it if this version gets yanked.

Twitter hash "#neda" has become a new update site for the demonstrations in Tehran, with updates urging protester to not wear contact lenses, to wear green, and for everyone reading to change their Twitter and blog timezone to GMT + 3:30 (which is Tehran time) to baffle security forces searching for those reporting on the protests.

39 Responses to "Tehran Protests: Her Name Was Neda (Warning: Graphic Video)"
Elliott | Sunday June 21, 2009 08:46 am 1

shocking.

cbl2 | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:03 am 2

heartwrenching

clicked on it before graphic nature warning was posted at a Twitter site yesterday. she was watching the protests with her father - and that is him screaming her name in the video

foothillsmike | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:07 am 3
In response to cbl2 @ 2

This is indeed heartwrenching. What more could you expect from a divinely inspired election.

solai | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:09 am 4

Couldn’t watch. But I did go change the time on twitter. I’ve seen that request for days but didn’t understand the rationale nor did I know to whom that request was being made. Thanks for explaining.

cbl2 | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:19 am 5

there are planned vigils for Neda and all martyrs scheduled around USA on Monday eve – but no single organizing site, so google to see if there is to be one in your area

ThatSinger | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:23 am 6

Why no contact lenses? Teargas?

foothillsmike | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:25 am 7

Sen Feinstein on CNN just referenced Neda.

SouthernDragon | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:26 am 8
In response to ThatSinger @ 6

solai | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:29 am 9
In response to cbl2 @ 5

Not to sound heartless, because I certainly sympathize with the Iranians, but if there are massive vigils for Nedra then I am going to be seriously ticked. Not because they’re not justified but because WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE RALLIES FOR HEALTHCARE????

KayInMaine | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:31 am 10

Clif, who also posts on my blog, first alerted me and my readers to the video here:

I was absolutely speechless!

SouthernDragon | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:31 am 11
In response to solai @ 9

Outstanding question.

Trakker | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:34 am 12
In response to solai @ 9

Good point. Ever since the Iranians started protesting in numbers beyond belief, I kept thinking about what OUR government has done to us, and our response….?

SouthernDragon | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:35 am 13

I hope someone is saving these videos before YouTube and Google pull them.

KayInMaine | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:35 am 14

Who wants to bet some Israelis believe this a propaganda video by the Palestinians? Spit.

SouthernDragon | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:37 am 15
In response to KayInMaine @ 14

I’d be willing to bet that the Israeli government will tell the Israeli people that this is a propaganda video by the Palestinians.

foothillsmike | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:42 am 16
In response to SouthernDragon @ 15

While touting how wonderful they are with their 1 1/2 state “solution”.

cbl2 | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:44 am 17
In response to solai @ 9

of course you are not heartless – so many of us feel the same anger and frustration. although, none of us need worry about being killed when we take to the streets – don’t even have the vocabulary to properly describe their bravery and fortitude.

HCAN is sponsoring big event in DC 6/25

if you are not going to DC, Scroll Down the page to find your state:

HCAN

foothillsmike | Sunday June 21, 2009 09:48 am 18

An interesting take

Eureka Springs | Sunday June 21, 2009 10:36 am 19

Huffpo decided to post two neda videos on what i think is their own video player in case youtube takes theirs down completely (which seems to happen with increasing frequency.. maybe a journalist should find out why google is skittish..and easily manipulated out of honoring freedom of peoples right to know, share and see news). Anyway, for future reference they are in the middle of this long huff piece..

Thank you lalisa and fdl for covering this.

KayInMaine | Sunday June 21, 2009 10:41 am 20
In response to SouthernDragon @ 15

Exactly.

DonWilliams | Sunday June 21, 2009 10:54 am 21

Yikes! The anti-Semites seem to have found your blog, Lisa.

DonWilliams | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:00 am 22
In response to Eureka Springs @ 19

YouTube is “skittish” because the video shows graphic violence, which is a violation of YouTube’s TOS:

Graphic or gratuitous violence is not allowed. If your video shows someone being physically hurt, attacked, or humiliated, don’t post it.

wmd1961 | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:03 am 23

I keep linking a blog post from a young Iranian woman a few days before to this video in my mind. I can imagine Neda wrote those words.

I will participate in the demonstrations tomorrow. Maybe they will turn violent. Maybe I will be one of the people who is going to get killed. I’m listening to all my favorite music. I even want to dance to a few songs.”

Juxtaposing the video and blog post is very powerful.

redfish | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:28 am 24
In response to solai @ 9

Congratulations on the most repulsive comment I have seen online in months.

redfish | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:32 am 25

Leave it to the far-left extremist America haters here to use this horrific individual tragedy as a political pneumonic device for your agenda. As a liberal progressive I am embarrassed and ashamed of you and am calling you out Solai, Southern Dragon, Trakker and Kailin Maine. Censor me, ban me, kick me off of here, I don’t give a shit.

newtonusr | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:35 am 26

please
do
not
bite

starve the beast if you can

redfish | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:41 am 27

Whatever newtonuser. Using this tragedy where a girl died in her fathers arms to attack this country or preach about health care is despicable and disgusting. You can’t shut me up labeling me a troll you know why? Because I don’t care if anyone responds to me or not. You are all reading what I write.

Again — you will shut me up by banning me, otherwise deal with it. As an old school progressive Jimmy Carter liberal I am sick and tired and embarrassed by the extreme left nut cases in this country. In style and fanaticism you are no different from Beck, Limbaugh or Hannity.

marob203 | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:45 am 28

The HCAN rally is June 25 @ 11:00

newtonusr | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:47 am 29
In response to SouthernDragon @ 15

Just wait until teh House Goopers hit the floor tomorrow morning – demagoguery at it’s very finest.

Don’t be surprised to hear those soulless bastards imply that if the US wasn’t so quiet, nearly all these protesters would be ok.

DeanOR | Sunday June 21, 2009 11:57 am 30

Neda

SouthernDragon | Sunday June 21, 2009 01:38 pm 31

Awwww, I missed the chickenhawk. Squaaaaawwwwk, little chickenhawk.

DCXopher | Sunday June 21, 2009 03:10 pm 32
In response to solai @ 9

In the first place, here in America, we allegedly are represented in Congress. US citizens can therefore contact their alleged representatives in the house and senate (except DC!) and state the desired path they wish them to take. This is an option the Iranians do not have.

Secondly, she (through her plight)is a symbol of the repressed Iranian people, the rallies will be for them.

Thirdly, if you indeed feel strongly enough about the health care issue, instead of just sitting at your keyboard shouting, why don’t you go out and start a rally yourself? Network with others in your community, get the ball rolling.

Finally, I’m sorry, but to me you do sound a little heartless although I don’t think you meant to. This poor innocent girl (who, by all accounts wasn’t even protesting) was shot dead, DEAD! for nothing. I don’t think the situations are comparable.

wmd1961 | Sunday June 21, 2009 03:28 pm 33
In response to DCXopher @ 32

Iranian’s nominally have representation in the Majlis and the Assembly of Experts.

The Majlis is an easily overruled parliament with all candidates subject to vetting. The speaker of the Majlis has said the a majority believes that the election was fraudulent.

The Assembly of Experts is also elected and has authority to change the supreme leader. There are meetings in progress in Qom and many possibilities.

I think most of us at FDL contact our representatives frequently. And solai was pointing out that we should not stop our own work in sympathy with oppressed in Iran.

I really like the juxtaposition of the young iranian woman’s blog entry and the graphic imagery of oppression in the Neda video. The calm bravery in the blog and Neda’s dying from senseless government violence are very powerful.

DrZen | Sunday June 21, 2009 04:58 pm 34

The Basij is not a government force, btw. It’s a militia. It’s not supposed to be armed and the suggestion that it has orders to shoot women who are watching the protests doesn’t seem to have any basis.

But do carry on whipping yourselves up to a fever pitch. This unreasoned cheerleading for a neoliberal coup will likely end in bombers over Tehran.

You should at least recall that most of the people of Iran, who are on the whole religious and would not welcome the secularisation of their nation, do not have access to Twitter. Also, minor thing I know, but there’s no evidence who shot Neda or what organisation they belonged to. There is a ton of Western money in Iran and a ton of Westerners up to no good. Who knows who’s doing the Twittering? A lot of the “reporting” on the crisis seems to be being done by emigres, who have their own agendas.

MarkH | Sunday June 21, 2009 06:00 pm 35

What kind of maniac kills an unarmed girl with a rifle? That is not a person of God.

macaquerman | Sunday June 21, 2009 06:12 pm 36
In response to DrZen @ 34

Who knows if the whole election wasn’t the work of no-good Westerners and agenda-plying emigres?

freedomforall | Sunday June 21, 2009 06:16 pm 37
In response to solai @ 9

You dont sound heartless….you sound STUPID….if you want healthcare, get a job, get insurance and quit whining about what the government (other people) owe you. Get a life

macaquerman | Sunday June 21, 2009 06:20 pm 38
In response to freedomforall @ 37

I would agree that you and all those around you would be very familiar with the sound of stupid.

stephenburnett | Sunday June 21, 2009 06:52 pm 39

Please download and share this video with as many people, in as many different locations, in as many walks of life as you can.

As horrifying as this is, something more horrifying is if humanity is unable to grasp that this is symptomatic of a government gone mad.

Humanity can no longer afford to tolerate this kind of brutality from the institutions that we the people have handed the authority to protect us and our basic human rights to.

No such ceding of authority should EVER be deemed to imply that our governments, or in this case the Islamic religious hierarchy in Iran [Iran IS a theocracy — the MOST evil of all types of government], have the right to kill us with impunity. The most fundamental human right of all has here been ransacked by the insane Islamic Clerics who hold ALL real power and authority in Iran.

The responsibility for this cold-blooded murder rests entirely on the maniac Ayatollahs within that most tragic of nations. Whatever the rest of the world CAN do to help — setup and maintain computer networks and proxy servers, and any other actions to help keep the resistance movement communicating in and out — to defeat the tyrannical monsters who would choke the life out of their own children needs to be done.

Please consider going to this website “Why We Protest – Iran” at [http://iran.whyweprotest.net/] to learn what you can do to save lives in Iran. Also, consider the idea that this type of action may be needed again in the future. If we, as a race [humanity], can summon the courage and audacity to set aside our differences and focus on our common humanity, there is still hope that we can survive as a race.

Please don’t let this crime against humanity nor any further ones in the future by ANY government go unpunished.