While claiming he’d used most of his best material at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, President Obama dropped some zingers and got plenty of laughs at the Radio & Television Correspondents’ Association Dinner last night. And he gave a hat tip to bloggers.

Despite the flood of new media, I think your programming is more relevant than ever before. At least that’s the impression I get when I read the blogs everyday.

He also used some potty humor claiming house guest Brian Williams clogged the toilet and didn’t tell anyone. He joked about all the networks wanting to do reality shows about the White House, but given the fiscal crisis in California, the shows

may be competing with Governor Schwarzenegger’s new reality series, I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!

There was another serious conflict he brought up:

This dinner conflicts with my date night. I was supposed to be going out with Michelle for Thai food. In Bangkok.

He also poked fun at Rahm Emanuel, then brought up a sensitive matter

As I traveled to all the countries I saw firsthand how much people truly have in common  with each other. No matter where I went there’s one thing I heard over and over from every world leader "No thanks, but have you considered Palau?"

At the end of his routine, Obama got serious for a moment and talked about the need to report the news as it happens and the importance of citizen journalists.

Now if only he was as good at giving equal rights to same sex couples as he is at delivering jokes.

17 Responses to "Obama Brings the Funny–and Some Topical–to Radio & Television Correspondents’ Dinner"
egregious | Saturday June 20, 2009 03:44 pm 1

So true!

Thanks Lisa

solai | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:27 pm 2

Bill Maher did a bit where he said ‘enough with the personal stuff that’s all over the tv. The date nights, the W.H. tours, the burgers out with the veep etc. We get it, we like you….now accomplish something’.(seriously paraphrased)

eCAHNomics | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:32 pm 3

What a joker, this guy.

eCAHNomics | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:33 pm 4

In fact, I think Obama missed his calling. He ought to host the program after TDS and Colbert Report.

ratfood | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:41 pm 5

I’d find these events less tiresome if I believed he was doing the job he was elected for, i.e. actually advocating for government reform and transparency, ending the wars and so on.

solai | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:46 pm 6

Speaking of which. Why was the drug deal that’s supposed to save us billions a Friday night news dump? Is that good news or more kabuki? The lack of fanfare and the timing makes me suspicious.

TexBetsy | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:47 pm 7

Good evening all. Thanks Lisa. I didn’t actually think he was that funny last night.

Hugh | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:47 pm 8

Anyone who has seen Obama’s economic plan, his proposals for regulatory reform or healthcare knows that Obama is fond of jokes.

Margot | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:50 pm 9
In response to TexBetsy @ 7

I thought he was funny but not enough to listen to for very long. 5 minutes maybe. I want him to knock some heads together on the Hill and get a very good health care bill passed.

eCAHNomics | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:52 pm 10
In response to Hugh @ 8

W liked to use cruel petty jokes and nicknames on people around him & reporters. Obama’s jokes are on the voters.

ratfood | Saturday June 20, 2009 07:55 pm 11
In response to solai @ 6

It’s a step in the right direction. Medicare recipients would only have to pay for half the cost of expensive name brand prescriptions after they reach the initial coverage limit aka donut-hole while the full cost would be subtracted from their required out of pocket expense, reducing the time until they emerge from the donut hole.

Bad news, even half the cost of expensive meds is too much for many people. In my own case, the newer RA drugs would still be priced out of reach.

Frank33 | Saturday June 20, 2009 08:07 pm 12

CNN has a nitwit host, Don Lemon on now. This clown asks why Obama should not be critcized, for going out with his family. According to this ill-informed tee vee correspondent, President Chimpie Bush was criticized for playing golf while the Irak war raged.

Of course, The Principle Of False Equivalency must always be presented. If Bush was criticized then Obama must be criticized an equal or more amount. So the neo-cons will criticize Obama for being a Father on the day before Father’s Day.

But Mr. Lemon got it wrong. Chimpie was not criticized for playing golf. Chimpie said he quit playing because he would be criticized. In fact, Chimpie was playing golf after he said he had quit. But, we cannot expect facts from the corporate tee vee.

Teddy Partridge | Saturday June 20, 2009 08:09 pm 13

I liked “Leave It To Uighers” but I don’t think the audience knows who they are when it’s pronounced correctly.

Teddy Partridge | Saturday June 20, 2009 08:11 pm 14

These events are lame-assed anyway, and embarrassing to everyone involved. I read elsewhere that this one had to be postponed twice so they could get Obama. When I hear from a guest that they can’t make it to my party (twice!) I usually go ahead and have it without them.

egregious | Saturday June 20, 2009 08:16 pm 15
In response to Teddy Partridge @ 13

But these are people in radio and television who theoretically should know how to pronounce newsworthy things correctly.

[I liked it too]

Phoenix Woman | Saturday June 20, 2009 10:18 pm 16

First off –

As Adam Bonin pointed out at DKos, the reason that Scott Simpson, the DoJ attorney tasked with writing up the mandatory DoJ response to the Smelt brief (which as Laurence Tribe explains is a pretty sucky one, which he fears could lead to a Plessy-style backfiring that would strengthen DOMA, not overturn it), cited the cases he did was probably because these same examples had been cited in at least one prior DoJ response to a DOMA challenge

In other words, this wasn’t an evil and deliberate effort by Obama to claim that gays commit incest, but a DoJ attorney putting together a boilerplate legal response.   Shame on those who understood all this yet are still helping Aravosis demagogue because they think it’s somehow good for the movement to use bogosities to rally the LGBT community.  They know better — or should.

Second off –

Speaking of John Aravosis, he’s been behaving rather skeevily about a lot of things, and not just the DoJ brief.   Plus he’s pulled similarly weird and vicious vendettas in the past.

Third off –

You know the memorandum that Aravosis and his followers are dissing so hard? It provides the first real recognition of transgenders and transgender rights by the Federal government. (Though of course Aravosis is not exactly enamored of TGs, as we found out during the ENDA battle.  So that’s why you won’t see this mentioned very often by him or the sites that follow his lead.)

ImprobableJoe | Saturday June 20, 2009 10:31 pm 17

I’m sick of Obama and the Democrats playing nice with the enemies of the American people. Sick, tired, and fed up. Yeah, lets tell some jokes among people who crapped on Obama and his supporters for over a year… and then Obama craps on his supporters to make his enemies happy.

Does democracy even exist in America anymore? Or is it just really crazy sociopaths fighting it out against slightly less crazy creeps?