This Sorta Sucks: A Tea Bagging

Arrived early. About fifty people on the steps of Glendale City Hall. Sequined American flag baseball hats–I didn’t know Cindy McCain had a fashion line. A gin-blossomed Vietnam vet tells me with a wink that he’s now an Independent–he

switched after Bush let in all those Mexicans and Condi said we should sign the UN Law of Sea Doctrine. Where’s our sovereignty?

prolife.thumbnail.jpgMutterings about the Department of Homeland Security  in the crowd. One woman holds a sign that says "Proud to be a Tea Bag Terrorist," but her large emerald ring covers the last word.

More people arrive, mainly over the age of 50, but some families with kids and moms with babies. A little girl holds a sign that reads

Obama take your hands off my piggy bank!

A boy I presumed to be her brother wears a sandwich board over his scouting uniform (shades of that Jeff Bridges movie Arlington Road). The back says

Stimulate change. Use tar & feathers.

On the front

1984 is not a set of instructions

Has he read the book?

No. My dad made the sign.

A woman takes the microphone and announces

Our adversaries are here. Please do not sign petitions. Stay out of the street for the safety of the cars. And please pick up your trash.

At least one alleged adversary is there: A sweet dad pushing his kid in a wheel chair, passing out fliers for http://site.letusrain.org. I take one, and a few minutes later another guy tells me with horror in his voice, like a 17th century preacher denouncing Satan:

That’s ACORN

Uh, no it’s not. I just went to the site and it’s a one page site urging readers to vote incumbents out of office. But ACORN is the Great Evil. All things bad are ACORN, all things different are ACORN, anything not understood or unknown is ACORN, the new black helicopter of cattle mutilating alien, anti-American thought, crop failure and milk drying–it’s ACORN, the boogeyman of the right.

Woman sings the "Star Spangled Banner." She’s really good. Five kids lead the Pledge of Allegiance (which the announce calls "Pledge to the Flag") High points of speeches:

This is a lifestyle.

They don’t like you. Taxes are a way to control you. They don’t like you.

I especially liked when the crowd chanted "Spend less lower taxes" which I think needs a comma to make sense. Nothing about the high cost of the wars we are fighting or the high cost of the War on Drugs, but lots about taxes being  too high and spending being to high and so forth. Oh and we should recall all politicians who voted for more taxes. There was a food drive, too. Some people seem unclear on the concept.

No Representation W/Out Taxation

Huh?

no_retax.thumbnail.jpg

And I got to ask one woman about the unfairness of married California same sex  couples having to pay higher federal taxes than married opposite sex couples. She wasn’t happy.

All the rhetoric was over by 12:25 and the folks were exhorted to stand on the corners and wave their signs, then head out to Burbank for the rally in front of Republican headquarters where John and Ken from KFI640am would be holding a rally (they are anti-Republican right now because of the legislature votes on raising taxes in California).

One woman kept shouting

Reagan Library in Simi Valley from 4 to 7

She was ignored.

48 Responses to "This Sorta Sucks: A Tea Bagging"
ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:05 pm 1

McCain caught heat for being pro immigrant from his own party did I miss something? I personally thought he did not go far enough.

egregious | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:05 pm 2

Great report – Thanks Lisa

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:08 pm 3

Sorry I didn’t read the next line just what independent party will he vote for a REAL split in the GOP next election could be priceless.

Suzanne | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:10 pm 4

thanks for the fantabulous report lisa. the whole thang just sounds so pitiful. those poor kids – shouldn’t they have been in school?

sadlyyes | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:13 pm 5

the only “thing” missing was Sarah Palin

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:13 pm 6

I especially liked when the crowd chanted “Spend less lower taxes

End the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan I like it! Unless they got a better Idea where of cut taxes?
Cutting Social Security ok GOP I want you to say that but not in cutting entitlements code.

Blue Texan | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:15 pm 7

Glendale is a really weird town without the teabaggers, but there’s a Zankou Chicken there, so all is forgiven.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:17 pm 8

the only “thing” missing was Sarah Palin

She is avoiding the Tea Baggers I guess she has a brain. Thinking fast to a Katie Couric softball question of what you read well nobody said she could think fast. I’ll give her that much.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:21 pm 9

Nothing about the high cost of the wars we are fighting or the high cost of the War on Drugs, but lots about taxes being too high and spending being to high and so forth. Oh and we should recall all politicians who voted for more taxes.

Great Catch the GOP still leads among uninformed voters how many voters are uninformed vs how many are Racists we need a poll.
Oh sorry how many voters are Libertarian should be asked too as well as how many Libertarians are uninformed?

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:23 pm 10

I still don’t see how this is not a GOP political contribution!

marymccurnin | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:23 pm 11

I did see signs in many different photos from around the country with the signs. There was a “Read My Lipstick” sign in more than a few. Isn’t that a reference to Palin?

sadlyyes | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:23 pm 12
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 8

shall we say her Jerry Springeresque lifestyle has led to over exposure

Eureka Springs | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:23 pm 13

I wonder how much in increased tax revenue (in sales tax alone) was raised by these baggers in the last week or so?

punaise | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:25 pm 14

find my nest of salt
everything’s my fault

sadlyyes | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:26 pm 15
In response to marymccurnin @ 11

awwwwwwwwwwwww shucks she is sorely missed

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:27 pm 16
In response to sadlyyes @ 12

Jerry!

Yes! Jerry should cover Sarah there is nobody better qualified!

punaise | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:28 pm 17

re that gambit to toot one’s klaxon at noon: “Horn if You’re Honky”

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:28 pm 18
In response to marymccurnin @ 11

Probably but I an no tea bag expert at all ask a GOPer:)

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:30 pm 19
In response to punaise @ 14

When has the GOP ever admitted anything is their fault?:)
I admit it fits though

pastfedup | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:33 pm 20

Good work, Lisa. I missed the local tea-bagger party here in SLC, had to go inspect a jobsite, so I only got to drive by the federal building briefly before heading out. There had to be at least 200-300 people there, the plaza was full. And this was on a day where it’s been raining and snowing all day, so have to give them some credit for bravinng ghe weather. Watching your video reminded me of how many flags there were, probably 100 or so; you know, no nutball gathering is complete without its compliment of American flags (they’re such patriots, you know). The only thing missing was Larry Craig – I’m sure he had his own private tea-bag party to go to!

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:34 pm 21
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 18

Still this is Sarah’s crowd the Tea Baggers are appealing to do not tell me she wasn’t invite to the Cool Kids party…but all her friends were?
I smell a GOP movement that does not want Sarah. I smell Mitt Romney!

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:36 pm 22

Saturday Night Live and the Playboy Channel present the Larry Craig Mark Foley Tea Bag party!
(ok that was sick)

punaise | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:39 pm 23
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 19

All Apall-GOP

better yet, highlights from the whole damn thing – Nirvana’a All Apologies*:

What else should I be
All apologies
What else should I say
Everyone is gay

What else could I write
I dont have the right
What else should I be
All apologies

In the sun
In the sun I feel as one
In the sun
In the sun
I’m married!
Buried!

I wish I was like you
Easily amused

Find my nest of salt
Everything is my fault
Ill take all the blame
Aqua seafoam shame
Sunburn with freezerburn
Choking on the ashes of her enemy
All in all we all are

*(inspired by La Figa’s title)

joelmael | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:39 pm 24

I had planned to attend a tea party thinking I might meet a nice lady pulling down over $300k who was there to protest BO’s plan to increase her taxes.

Then I saw some photos. Unless they were dressing way down for the occasion they looked like working folks who cheer those who work against them.

Why do they do that?

Twain | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:40 pm 25
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 22

Shame on you :) tee hee

eCAHNomics | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:46 pm 26

I stayed about 20 minutes at the Manhattan one; all I could bear. Left before Gingrich showed up.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:47 pm 27
In response to eCAHNomics @ 26

Any dark folks?

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:47 pm 28
In response to Blue Texan @ 7

I prefer Al Wazir on Hollywood Blvd to Zankou (gnarlier garlic paste and they deliver!), but Zankou has a better drink selection (jelab!) and more hispter cred. Zankou Hollywood is owned by a different branch of the family than the Glendale after a very nasty intercine murder, though they both use the same recipe.

Oh, and the swastikas on the lamp posts in Glendale aren’t Nazi insignia, per the city attorney’s report; they were designed and built pre-Krystalnacht.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:48 pm 29
In response to punaise @ 23

Thought you borrowed it from the Bible Lots Wife:)

AZ Matt | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:48 pm 30
In response to punaise @ 23

So when are you gonna put out your book of poetry?

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:49 pm 31

I hope thats Snark.

hychka | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:50 pm 32

Seriously, how was th eturnout at these some 750 teabagger events?

Great/good/poor/dismal?

What is Fox saying so far?

We dropped cable and are cut off from “news.”

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:51 pm 33
In response to marymccurnin @ 11

Women were holding the sign, so I think it’s a more a Poppy Bush “read my lips” but there’s a Palin aspect to it as well…Alaska got more pork than any other state: gee conservatives, that YOUR tax $

eCAHNomics | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:52 pm 34
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 27

Mostly the cops. Very few in the audience. But it was dark (showed up around 8:30pm), and I couldn’t get across the street where most of the folks were, so I don’t have a representative sample.

ACORN is for sure the devil. As is Planned Parenthood. Apparently U.S. taxpayers contribute 1/3 of PP’s $1 billion budget, which they think should go to military body armour instead. All the people I saw did not make over $250,000. Signs were lame, but not threatening as apparently occurred in other places.

SpillsAndThrills | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:52 pm 35

In the hotly debated Alwazir vs. Zankou – I have to go with Alwazir. Polarizing, I know…

Lisa Derrick | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:53 pm 36
In response to hychka @ 32

I saw 200 approx at my event, another “couple hundred” per conservative radio were reported in Burbank, CA a couple hours later and a few miles away.
Conservative Pajama TV said 60,000 showed up across the country –thats TRAGIC

eCAHNomics | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:56 pm 37

Oh, maybe a thousand or two at Manhattan teaparty. I’m no good at crowd estimates & as I said, I was across the street from the main part, so take my estimate very loosely.

In contrast, 100,000 showed up for the antiwar rally in 03.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:56 pm 38
In response to joelmael @ 24

Why do they do that?

I think they all think they will be rich one day. I knew a bunch like that in the burbs working for UPS pro GOP and always talking about their stocks not the most happy people, but their eyes lit up talking about money.
Harry Truman if you want to live like a Republican vote democratic!

eCAHNomics | Wednesday April 15, 2009 06:58 pm 39

Here’s an anecdote from someone who was obviously there at the same time I was. So maybe you should subtract 10% for us lefties who showed up to observe, and another 10% for the sociologists studying the crowd.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:03 pm 40
In response to eCAHNomics @ 34

Thats there lie er line but BUSH WAS PRESIDENT! Does anyone…sane think Bush gave cash to Planed Parenthood in front of the troops rather than his war profiteer buddies?

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:05 pm 41
In response to eCAHNomics @ 39

What the GOP needs in the size of their tea bag

going upstairs:)

selise | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:05 pm 42
In response to eCAHNomics @ 37

In contrast, 100,000 showed up for the antiwar rally in 03.

not the same thing. groups from all over, including the one i was involved in (MA), had been organizing for months prior (and we had just gone to dc the month prior, and iirc we did boston in oct 02 when there were regional protests and had been having local v small weekly vigils as well as special events for more than a year).

have to see where this one goes, if anywhere.

until then, it’s apples and oranges.

punaise | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:11 pm 43
In response to AZ Matt @ 30

as soon as I get Kurt Cobain’s estate’s royalty rights signed over to me?

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:16 pm 44
In response to selise @ 42

Did you have Fox News screaming for weeks about your trip and letting you use their web site?
I agree Apples and Oranges time and commitment vs the full weight of Fox’s media hype!

selise | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:22 pm 45
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 44

media hype? for an anti-war protest?

hahahaha!

i just hope this fox promoted protesting goes nowhere, but if the economy continues to go down, i fear it won’t. people have real grievances: stagnant wages for 30 years and now an economic crisis that is used to justify trillions for banksters and almost nothing for people.

i probably disagree with most (or all) of today’s protesters about the causes and solutions. but i don’t disagree that we are being ripped off and that there is something to protest.

ThingsComeUndone | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:27 pm 46
In response to selise @ 45

True we are in trouble maybe we should start protests of our own?

selise | Wednesday April 15, 2009 07:35 pm 47
In response to ThingsComeUndone @ 46

maybe not start. i don’t think we have enough grass roots organizing experience. it takes hundreds, really thousands of people willing to organize with others in their communities. but blogs can play a big role if they are willing to support something beyond political party. something in solidarity with all who are affected. not just americans, not just democrats. this is a global crisis. i think we need the global justice movement folks to lead the way – they have the experience and not seen as tools of any particular party.

well, really, i don’t know. have just been trying to brain storm ideas….

PJEvans | Wednesday April 15, 2009 08:21 pm 48
In response to Blue Texan @ 7

I gather you’ve met their garlic sauce!