Obama Won’t Legalize Pot, Wonders If Online Community is a Bunch of Stoners

obama.thumbnail.jpgIn his first ever interactive townhall meeting, President Obama addressed questions and issues raised online from the change.gov site.  One of the most popular ideas floated online there and on the pre-inuagural citizen’s policy book was the legalization and taxation of marijuana, which could provide additional taxes and jobs, as well as lowering crimnal justice costs. His response:

There was one question that was voted on that ranked fairly high and that was whether legalizing marijuana would improve the economy and job creation, and I don’t know what this says about the online audience.

Yes, it got some laughs. Then he added that he wanted to make sure the question got answered.

The answer is no, I don’t think that was a good strategy.

112 Responses to "Obama Won’t Legalize Pot, Wonders If Online Community is a Bunch of Stoners"
wmd1961 | Thursday March 26, 2009 11:18 am 1

So let’s see – a organized group of technically savvy people promote a change in policy, along with some evidence that the policy change would effect positive social and fiscal outcomes.

Some undoubtedly are stoners. But they are politically organized stoners and make cogent and coherent arguments.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday March 26, 2009 03:54 pm 2

Ok Obama remember this when Geithner’s Plan to fix the economy does not work in time for Christmas and the GOP and Investors start calling for your head.
Tax Pot End the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan Raise money save money Thats the Online plan.
Geithner’s plan give away money to the same losers who lost billions…because we can’t afford not too?
Are Geithner and Summers getting Coked out of their Minds with all their WallStreet Friends everyday at lunch?
The Pot Heads have a better plan than Wall Street.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday March 26, 2009 03:59 pm 3

Did Obama not see John Stewart a favorite of Stoners everywhere kick Jim Cramer’s ass in the logic dept?
Wallstreet vs High Street, Comedy Street, Lefty Econ Blog street we have been right and Geithner, Summers, Cramer, Santelli have all been wrong!
Geither on the Daily Show Next after the economy gets lower 6 months after Geithner’s plan goes into action (have to give it a chance to work)

Suzanne | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:17 pm 4

would PBO call cancer patients a bunch of stoners?

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:35 pm 5

Righto. Sending troops to accelerate the drug war in Mexico is surely much more sensible than legalizing pot. /s

Oh, I forgot, legalizing pot would eliminate a source of income for the CIA and reduce the govt subsidy for the military. Can’t have one less war. Bad on me.

BTW, Nickled and Dimed has a good section on why all the drug testing for pot. The answer, besides the subsidy for drug testing industry (cost feds something like tens of thousands for each pothead not employed) is “because they can.” Because pot is fat soluble, it stays in the system long enough to show up on tests. The far more dangerous drugs like alcohol (my fave), coke, etc., are water soluble and disappear from the system PDQ, so can’t be tested.

ART45 | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:35 pm 6

Obama takes each issue as political.

Pot use? Finger to the wind.

Bailing out Wall Street bankers. Who among voters really understands or cares?

Understand this man. He is totally political.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:40 pm 7
In response to ART45 @ 6

Partly disagree. Agree that Obama thinks there’s no political mileage in legalizing pot. (Think that polls might disagree but haven’t seen one on this subject for awhile.)

Disagree about financial bailout. People care strongly about that and Obama is going strongly against what the voters want.

john in sacramento | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:41 pm 8

Teddy’s got a corollary to this

DEA raids SF medical marijuana dispensary

LindaR | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:43 pm 9

Riddle me this, O-bama-wan kenobi:

If Lovelle Mixon’s parole officer had not been inundated with pot parolees, would those four Oakland police officers be alive today?

oldgold | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:43 pm 10

What is Obama’s position on making haky sack an Olympic sport?

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:47 pm 11

And it’s probably not a good strategy to mock your constituents, either

Give me a break, it was funny.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:48 pm 12
In response to Raven @ 11

And besides, his “constituents” here have no problem mocking him.

punaise | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:49 pm 13
In response to ART45 @ 6

he’s determined to Zig Zag on this issue.

Hugh | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:49 pm 14

I’m against the legalization of marijuana. It leads to heavier drugs, like alcohol.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:50 pm 15

Don’t bring me down.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:50 pm 16
In response to Raven @ 15

Dang link didn’t fly

Don’t Bring Me Down

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:51 pm 17
In response to Raven @ 12

So nice of you to be protective of Obama’s thin skin. *g*

SouthernDragon | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:51 pm 18

So the administration thinks a lot of us are heads. So what?

Phoenix Woman | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:52 pm 19

Here’s the full quote, in context. (Note that his laughter was triggered by the audience’s laughter.)

I’m seeing that there is a top rated diary complaining that Obama laughed off a question about legalization of marijuana.  In fact, that’s not what he was asked at all.  Here’s the transript:

Nathan in MN’s diary :: ::

THE PRESIDENT: Can I just interrupt, Jared, before you ask the next question, just to say that we — we took votes about which questions were going to be asked and I think 3 million people voted or –

DR. BERNSTEIN: Three point five million.

THE PRESIDENT: Three point five million people voted. I have to say that there was one question that was voted on that ranked fairly high and that was whether legalizing marijuana would improve the economy — (laughter) — and job creation. And I don’t know what this says about the online audience — (laughter) — but I just want — I don’t want people to think that — this was a fairly popular question; we want to make sure that it was answered. The answer is, no, I don’t think that is a good strategy — (laughter) — to grow our economy. (Applause.) So — all right.

So there you have it, his answer is that no, it is not a good strategy for growing the economy.  His answer is not that it is a bad strategy for other reasons.  He actually addresses the question asked for the forum.  He is silent on the issue of marijana legalization / decriminalization in general.

I personally don’t really care what his response was.  Just wanted to point out that it is important to listen to the question before jumping on the response.

Update:  Thanks so much for the recommends everyone.

I would also point out that if you actually watch the video, he takes the question quite seriously.  He actually laughs in response to the audience’s laughter.  He is serious, he states the question, the audience laughs, he laughs along, and then he finishes up on a serious note by answering the question.  I don’t interpret the response as being condecending at all.  He didn’t have to bring the issue up at all.

Here’s a link to the vid from Huff Post.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:52 pm 20
In response to eCAHNomics @ 17

shheeeeeet

hychka | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:52 pm 21

If Americans think that legalizing mj is a priority given our current problems, i suggest that they try not smoking for 24 hours and get both oars back into the water. I used 30 of my 42 minutes to read thru the questions asked the president and was disgusted that the MJ crowd wasted so many questions on nonsense. Am I for legalizing MJ? Hell, YES! I smoked MJ and loved it. I also like getting money out of the ATM. Get a handle on it, folks!

foothillsmike | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:52 pm 22

Obama, according to his book, has some experience with marijuana. What gives?

Phoenix Woman | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:52 pm 23

The HuffPost video link:

punaise | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:52 pm 24
In response to Raven @ 15

we’re down to seeds and stem cells again.

SouthernDragon | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:53 pm 25
In response to punaise @ 13

Nah, more baddah Bambu.

Phoenix Woman | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:53 pm 26

Foothillsmile, see #19.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:54 pm 27
In response to punaise @ 24

THE COMMANDER!

punaise | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:55 pm 28

all inhale, the cammander in chief!

darkblack | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:56 pm 29

Obama’s going to discover that Hope will run out before this issue does.

When you have a majority who no longer believes the lies used to subjugate them, who cannot afford allowing law enforcement the ability to subsidize its own agenda using fear, and who have grown tired of seeing criminals prosper and grow rich while ordinary folks dread a strange knock at the door…All the glibly mocking asides tossed to a Beltway peanut gallery won’t offset the crushing weight of rueful knowledge that one could have made a positive difference affecting many spheres, yet chose unwisely.

A toke can’t take that pain away.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:56 pm 30
In response to punaise @ 24

I talked to him at a show a couple of years back. Asked him if the still lived in the Bay Area, he said “hell no, the smoking laws in California drove me to Saratoga, NY”. “I just got have another cigarette”!

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:57 pm 31
In response to hychka @ 21

Chill. The kind of Qs Obama got are the kind of thing that happens (like shit) when you have an undirected internet solicitation. Which is why other pols haven’t bothered to interact that way. It’s the medium. (Think someone famous already said that.)

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:57 pm 32
In response to darkblack @ 29

Ha, pass it over here.

Phoenix Woman | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:58 pm 33
In response to Raven @ 11

Yeah. He was obviously trying not to laugh, but the audience members were guffawing. (Though if you really want to see stoners taking his and the audience’s laughter waaaaaay too seriously, go check out half the diaries on the Rec List at DKos right now. Geez, I’m for legalizing weed, but these Johnny- and Janey-One-Notes take the frickin’ cake.)

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 05:59 pm 34

There’s a wonderful female nerd from thinkprogress on KO. Never thought I’d live to see the day when my kind of people would get on cable news.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:00 pm 35
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 33

Well, maybe they are like me and don’t have one single clue about all this screaming about the economy so the “cling to their black lights and bongs”!

SouthernDragon | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:03 pm 36
In response to Raven @ 35

I like the heat driven rainbow thing ya put on a light bulb. Lived on a hill in San Diego. Had a big window that overlooked the town. Ya could see the colour waves damn near from downtown. *g*

Suzanne | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:03 pm 37

darkblack | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:05 pm 38
In response to Raven @ 32

I know that decrim/legalization/resource deployment isn’t the pressing issue that economic meltdowns and global military boondoggles are, Raven – However, barring reprogramming all of the ‘just-say-no’ zealots and undercover profiteers who have dominated the discourse for years with a knowing wink from government, it would be relatively easy to do something about by comparison.

demi | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:06 pm 39
In response to eCAHNomics @ 34

Pretty, smart and nice gal, huh? I thought she was great too.
But, does she smoke?
(I’m having a Miller Lite, want one?)

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:06 pm 40
In response to SouthernDragon @ 36

Oh yea, I had a Captain Beyond black light poster that was killer!

demi | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:07 pm 41
In response to Raven @ 35

I used to have a really cool bong. Don’t remember where it is though.

Phoenix Woman | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:08 pm 42
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 33

I suspect that some people are looking for a reason to be outraged. They also may have bad reading and/or listening skills. Obama and the audience weren’t laughing at the idea of legalizing weed per se — nobody asked that question. That’s a big fat straw man. The thing that had Obama and the audience laughing was the idea that legalizing weed would single-handedly cure the economy:

DR. BERNSTEIN: Three point five million.

Got that? (By the way, I’m guessing that he is fully aware that pro-legalization advocates were swarming the website, so he also knows that the results of the vote were probably about as reliable — and as easily-gamed — as a typical online poll.)

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:08 pm 43
In response to darkblack @ 38

I dunno, maybe you are right.

SouthernDragon | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:09 pm 44
In response to Raven @ 40

I’ve still got a couple in the roll of posters that I’ve hauled all over the country for the last 30 years.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:09 pm 45
In response to demi @ 41

You can always use that 12 gauge you got hangin on the wall.

SouthernDragon | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:09 pm 46
In response to demi @ 41

LOL. Do another bowl. It’ll come to ya.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:10 pm 47
In response to demi @ 39

Loved her. Having red wine, but thanks for the offer.

punaise | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:11 pm 48

Obama: “let me be blunt.”

Blub | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:12 pm 49
In response to eCAHNomics @ 5

as I’ve written here before, I think that the Mexican crisis is much more complex than the legalize-drugs crowd would make it out to be. What we’re seeing now is the terminal death spiral of a system of governance that saw peripheral regions – including wealth regions – treated like colonies by the Mexico City-region heartland, with wealth and resources stripped away from those regions now most threatened by the cartels, until there was a perfect political vacuum into which the gangsters could step… this combined by shrub’s payments to Mexico in support of a type of brutal, thuggish militarization of their drug war. Legalizing pot has NOTHING to do with this dynamic.

As for legalizing pot, I have no idea what I think. Medicinal use sounds good to me… anything beyond that, I don’t. know. I’ve never used the stuff, and I know that demand is extremely price inelastic, which makes market regulation difficult. So.. yeah, I think we should stop wasting the president’s time on this one. Sorry.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:12 pm 50

Here’s a book for ya’ll

What the Dormouse Said: How the 60s Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer
by John Markoff

SouthernDragon | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:12 pm 51
In response to Raven @ 45

SouthernDragon | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:13 pm 52
In response to punaise @ 48

What a waste of good weed. Lazy fucks don’t wanna learn how to roll a joint.

demi | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:14 pm 53

Raven and SD.
Three things…I got no money honey, and I’m totally hanging with a different crowd (ask me how easy it was when I worked in The Industry) and thirdly…um, I forget again.
Just a different time I guess.
And, the Miller Lite ain’t really doing it. But, oh well. At least I don’t have the munchies.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:14 pm 54
In response to Blub @ 49

Price inelastic? I would take out a short term loan they had for vets on the GI Bill. Buy and lb for $160, break it into lids and make a quarter in about three hours. I guarantee it ain’t no $160 an oz now!

hychka | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:14 pm 55

The MJ issue is a joke compared to the economy. Down periscope and raise another day. Flexed your muscles. Nice try. Got a lot of laughs. Leave with whatever dignity you can toke…take.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:16 pm 56
In response to demi @ 53

I’ve been totally out of it all for 15 years. Get my kicks swimming laps and driving my 66 chevy truck.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:16 pm 57
In response to Blub @ 49

Thanks for putting the Mexican crisis into its proper perspective. You are right that it is much more than drugs. But I am not the one who did that reductio ad absurdum. The Mexican and U.S. govt did that. Until our fearless leaders decide to talk to us as if we (and they) were adults, don’t expect the dialogue to be intelligent.

BTW, I think we are adults but the P-T-B are not.

valletta | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:16 pm 58

I think he’s playing the politics on this one, as in, let California legalize it first as a state. We are the biggest grower and the biggest consumer and it is going to happen.

He doesn’t need to play in these waters, let Gavin Newsom take it up when he’s elected as the Governator’s successor. (Go Gav!)

Obama plays poker. He knows when pocket aces aren’t going to win the hand.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:18 pm 59

OT
Paulson to “write” exculpation book.

darkblack | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:19 pm 60
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 42

Oh, of course that’s silly. All decrim/legalization could do is a) give adults legal access to the product, b)potentially provide a taxation revenue stream, although a minuscule one by comparison with cigarettes and alcohol, and c), the big one for me: take all that black-market cash out of the hands of criminals.

It would take years to fully convert a textile manufacturing sector to hemp, and the kind of money needed to meaningfully offset the national debt solely through taxation might require a $1500-an ounce + street price, defeating the purpose of legalization rather handily I would say.

hychka | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:19 pm 61

Hey!

Get a new blog upstairs!

This one stalled.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:19 pm 62

Ohhh. Rachel said “Venn diagram.” I luv Rachel.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:19 pm 63
In response to valletta @ 58

Since it costs a lot to win, and even more to lose,
You and me bound to spend some time wond’rin’ what to choose.
Goes to show, you don’t ever know,
Watch each card you play and play it slow,
Wait until that deal come round,
Don’t you let that deal go down, no, no.

wmd1961 | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:25 pm 64
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 33

It just shows what organization can do.

Dismantling the Prison-Industrial Complex needs to start somewhere. And there is economic benefit to dismantling it.

Saying “Johnny one note” is ad hominem and a strawman to boot. I’ve voted for legalization questions, but far more energy has gone into rule of law restoration questions. Did Obama talk about a special prosecutor being appointed?

He went for an easy and popular question, knowing it would get laughs and deflect from other issues. He’s likely to get legalization questions every time he does a town hall – drug policy reformers have been active online since the days of Usenet.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:27 pm 65
In response to wmd1961 @ 64

What shows what organization can do? Nothing has changed in years.

demi | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:28 pm 66
In response to Raven @ 56

Yep. It’s all okay….different, but okay.
I joined a gym a few weeks ago and am really getting a kick out of the workouts.
There’s a pool in my community and I’ve been thinking about getting into the laps in addition to the gym.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:30 pm 67
In response to demi @ 66

Low impact, great for the ticker. Don’t worry about form.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:31 pm 68
In response to wmd1961 @ 64

Hey, if the prison-industrial-complex didn’t exist, how would the U.S. whites dominate the U.S. blacks? So sad that Obama doesn’t step up to the plate (or is there some hoops metaphor I should be using instead?).

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:32 pm 69
In response to eCAHNomics @ 68

“Become the go-to guy” “Take the ball to the rack” “Facialize the comp” (as I watch the final seconds of Xavier_Pitt)

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:34 pm 70
In response to demi @ 66

Did all kinds of swimming in my early years. Then someone asked me: how can you do that, it’s so boring? One of those aha moments. Don’t swim anymore, except got back in shape in 03 (or thereabouts) to swim across the Hudson from Newburgh to Beacon, about a mile. So, unless you are zen-enabled, think twice.

ratfood | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:34 pm 71

Jane said something at one point to the effect that Obama only respects those who leverage their power to advance their agenda.

Obama is a politician first and foremost, whether legalization is the fair or smart thing to do is irrelevant to him. Until those who favor legalization wield some real political clout, the folks in power won’t take them seriously.

Anyway, it would be a matter for Congress to take the lead on and it would require courage on their part, which means it ain’t gonna happen…

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:34 pm 72
In response to eCAHNomics @ 68

Most brothers (on drug raps) are in the joint for crack. Grey dudes get way less time for powder.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:35 pm 73

Long live Chef Ra!

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:35 pm 74
In response to eCAHNomics @ 70

That’s it, it’s all in the breathe.

ratfood | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:38 pm 75
In response to eCAHNomics @ 68

Drug prohibition started out as a club for whupping on minorities. It has evolved into a club for whupping on any person of average means (or lower) who gets snared in the net. The affluent do a stint in rehab and all is forgiven. The less advantaged couldn’t begin to afford rehab even if that were an option.

demi | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:40 pm 76
In response to eCAHNomics @ 70

But, but…Dylan said don’t think twice.
It gets so very warm where I live. Swimming is actually a nice way to spend some time. Plus, my 15 year old really likes going down to the pool.
But, I’ll work on the zen thing. Thanks.
And, there’s always someone at the pool with an extra beer. *g*

tbsa | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:40 pm 77

Too bad there isn’t a marijuana lobby who could make campaign conributions, then BO would be tripping over himself to make sure Marijuana got legalized.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:41 pm 78
In response to Raven @ 72

Right. I actually know that. There’s a literature that I’m only marginally familiar with that severely criticizes the PIC as yet another way to disenfranchise people of color. I have not seen any evidence to the contrary.

igo2go | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:41 pm 79

I think some people need to smoke some of that new weed that makes your ass a little less tight. Relax folks…Rome wasn’t legally tokin blunts in a day.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:44 pm 80
In response to demi @ 76

I bicycle and do other outdoor stuff that is compatible with listening to audio books. I understand there’s a waterproof system for doing same while swimming, but have not investigated it.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:45 pm 81
In response to igo2go @ 79

I thought the news stuff knocked your ass into next week?

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:45 pm 82
In response to eCAHNomics @ 80

They don’t work very well yet.

demi | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:48 pm 83
In response to Raven @ 67

It’s a 30 minute circuit training on machines program, with floor stuff in between each machine. Low impact. I’m too old to be jumping around like I did when I was younger.
Good for the attitude too.

ratfood | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:48 pm 84
In response to Raven @ 82

Hey Raven, FYI Centennial won the state championship.

eCAHNomics | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:48 pm 85
In response to Raven @ 82

I am not surprised, which is the main reason I’ve never tried them.

I swim much better than any other sport I’ve tried, but can no longer stand the boredom. I used to do arithmetic exercizes, like see how far I could go with squaring numbers, but that got old pretty quickly.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:49 pm 86
In response to demi @ 83

The most important thing is for you to find out what is good for you.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:49 pm 87
In response to ratfood @ 84

On a T for illegal jerseys!

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:50 pm 88
In response to eCAHNomics @ 85

I can’t tell you what I think about even though it’s a stoner blog!

ratfood | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:50 pm 89
In response to Raven @ 87

I hadn’t heard that…

demi | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:53 pm 90
In response to eCAHNomics @ 85

My middle child did a little sharing a couple of years ago while we were camping. Holy Cow. It was So Not what I remembered it to be.
Thanks, but no thanks.
I guess that was the third reason I’ve moved on from that stuff.
Yikes. And, no wonder.
All of this talk about swimming has moved me to invite my mister to go down to the spa, next to the pool. Sun is just setting, so it will be nice.
See you lovely creatures later…

ratfood | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:54 pm 91
In response to Raven @ 87

Here’s an explanation, love the headline.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:56 pm 92

And when the state finals began, controversy found its way to the court in the form of uni-gate. North Lawndale was hit with technical fouls in both its semifinal Friday and the third-place game Saturday for a wardrobe violation. And when you consider the Phoenix lost by a point to eventual Class 3A champion Champaign Centennial in the semifinal, that technical did matter.

Raven | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:57 pm 93
In response to ratfood @ 91

It’s still great for them but a little less so I guess.

ratfood | Thursday March 26, 2009 06:58 pm 94
In response to Raven @ 92

The stripe was an inch too wide… talk about sweating the small stuff.

ratfood | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:00 pm 95
In response to Raven @ 93

Having gone to Urbana I wouldn’t ordinarily root for a Champaign team but it’s nice to have somebody local do well. Shame about the nit-picky technical because they might have won anyway and now there will always be room for doubt.

ubetchaiam | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:12 pm 96
In response to Phoenix Woman @ 42

Actually, they did a pretty good job of avoid gaming via the use of cookies; but,yes, it could still be done. Either that or there was a definite campaign by somebody regards presenting his birth certificate and online gambling legalization.

Obama COMPLETELY IGNORED all the questions from the Financial Stability section having to do with all his cabinent members having wall street connections and the obvios ripoff presented by Geithner.

Excuse me while I go toke up.

shell | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:13 pm 97

“And it’s probably not a good strategy to mock your constituents, either. Not everyone who supports legalization of marijuana smokes it recreationally, or even at all.”

Indeed. I smoked pot — lots of it — but that was in the early 70s. Time passed — I graduated college, got married, had 3 children, who are now grown, and worked for 30 years. I have actually only smoked pot once since 1980, and that was last year. (To see if it was the same as the 70s. haha It was.) It just says that I know — first-hand — that it isn’t dangerous. (Wayyyyy less dangerous than booze.)

Your last sentence can be related to non-African Americans who voted for Obama. Believe it or not, most Americans CAN vote for those who don’t look or act just like them.

editoress | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:29 pm 98

Really, you should correct what you’ve written. The question he cited–and which appeared multiple times on the whitehouse.gov site yesterday–had to do with whether the economy could be improved by legalizing and taxing marijuana. You do your readers and Obama a disservice by misrepresenting what he said and you need to fix it.

shell | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:31 pm 99

Is there a question whether the economy would be improved with legalizing and taxing MJ?

cinnamonape | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:38 pm 100
In response to darkblack @ 60

Legalization?

Almost everyone would grow their own. It would be easier than making homebrew, readily traded, and do nothing for the economy since it couldn’t readily be taxed. I suppose one could try and control the sale of elite bud…but people would start growing that at home as well.

BargainCountertenor | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:40 pm 101

RE: Legalizing weed.

Legalize it, but don’t commercialize it. Allow folks to grow their own, but not to deal.

The very last thing we need is for the advertising gurus to get their little grubbies on an abusable substance. Those folks can create demand for nearly anything, and I shudder thinking about what they could do with something like weed.

Yes, I know that a no dealing provision would be violated, but the violations would be self-limiting. If a dealer/supplier got too big, she’d draw the attention and ire of the authorities, and POOF! End of dealer/supplier.

Additionally, commercialization would lead to breeding for potency (and probably other traits). Reports (I’ve never used the stuff myself) are that the good stuff on the street currently is approaching George Carlin’s legendary no-toke shit. I doubt we need to encourage that sort of thing any further.

BargainCountertenor | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:45 pm 102
In response to shell @ 99

I think the most beneficial aspect of decriminalizing pot is in the major reduction in the prison population.

If it’s decriminalized, I think Obama should issue a blanket Federal pardon for anyone convicted of minor drug offenses, and strongly encourage the Governors of the various States to do the same within their jurisdictions.

cinnamonape | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:50 pm 103
In response to tbsa @ 77

I suspect that the big producers of marijuana are themselves not to willing to see it cross into the legal realm. I remember the days when everybody in my coop had several plants in their closets. Hardy plants…that can grown by people who can’t even get tomatos out. While some of the hybrid varieties might require seed from “master plants” and would be infertile subsequently, once you get a lot of plants out there it’ll be impossible for anyone to actually make big money off it…government or dealers.

I suppose one could require any home growers to have a license…but that would simply create a needless regulatory system and would likely have people going back to jail ’cause they wouldn’t or couldn’t pay the fees/fines.

My hope is that they utterly legalize it though…no licenses, nada. Maybe tax stuff sold in stores with a “sin tax”. Regulate where you can smoke it (no driving, not in eating establishments, indoors except for homes or private clubs [again that could be taxed]. The tax money should go to treatment and medical issues related to usage.

DrZen | Thursday March 26, 2009 07:52 pm 104

I’m a stoner but there just isn’t dope strong enough to make me think this clown was a good pick for president.

TheLurkingMod | Thursday March 26, 2009 08:04 pm 105

darkblack | Thursday March 26, 2009 08:12 pm 106
In response to cinnamonape @ 100

The industrial uses would be taxed. Like I said, it’s miniscule by comparison to smokes and booze. The government would make way more money off a porn tax, with a higher guarantee of controlling public access.

It’s early for me to tell whether the prison population intake would be reduced by decrim, at least at the state and county level as there would have to be some sort of laws covering marijuana intoxication in public…Operation of a vehicle, and so forth.

Since people like to get loaded, and a public license to smoke up has been granted some will abuse that as they always do.

darkblack | Thursday March 26, 2009 08:19 pm 107
In response to cinnamonape @ 103

I suppose one could require any home growers to have a license

That was one of the LeDain commission suggestions in 1972, and would probably be a prerequisite to safeguarding individual rights in our time. The next bit of law would be in the workplace realm, I reckon…urine tests, etc.

shell | Thursday March 26, 2009 08:30 pm 108

Yes, if legalized, some would grow it themselves, but most wouldn’t. No more than most don’t make “home brew” despite alcohol being legal. (Although my father did. haha) It seems most would rather buy it, than grow it.

MarkH | Thursday March 26, 2009 10:19 pm 109
In response to DrZen @ 104

You must be stoned. Bush is no longer president. We’ve got a new president now and he’s a lot better.

Styve | Thursday March 26, 2009 11:20 pm 110

I recall when these questions were being catalogued, for what purpose was unclear, and there was a push to support the question that focused on a special counsel to investigate/prosecute the numerous crimes of the Bush years. It made a strong showing, always placing in the top two or three of the favorite questions, but what was interesting, was that the “legalizing marijuana” question was always up there, in sort of a reflexive manner.

I believe that it is a GOP front, to simply obfuscate and diminish the value of the polls.

Leen | Friday March 27, 2009 03:46 am 111

Obama is just wrong on this one…wrong. As I looked through the questions for him at the White House site this issue seemed to be 2 out of every 10 questions.

Most of us know this industry is huge. This money is all ready a sizable chunk of our economy. Why not tax and legislate for adult consupmption. People are going to smoke one way or another. Bring it above board for adults and tax it. Educate Educate Eduacate

sbgypsy99 | Friday March 27, 2009 07:03 am 112

Mass is looking to be the first state to legalize. They have bills in both houses right now to legalize, regulate, and tax any weed that changes hands(home grown will not be taxed). Blondesense has the links…