Bishop Excluded by HBO Broadcast, Opening Ceremony Prayer Edited Out

I got off the plane from LA to DC rushed to my friend’s house, ordered Chinese take out, tuned to HBO–and WTF?! They edited out Bishop Robinson! No Bishop Robinson?! Why? We can speculate, they can prevaricate, but they did this, and it sucks, and if this is act symbolizes the opening of Obama’s administration, as handled by corporate media, America, we are fucked.

Here  is the text of the bishop’s prayers, along with a video of him, which tens of thousands got to hear if they were at the Lincoln Memorial. I hope the artists who performed after the Bishop spoke will now speak out about this. And in the meantime you can let HBO know how you feel. Oh and I am canceling them. They can get fucking bent, the bastards.

If  like me you weren’t on the mall, here’s the Bishop’s prayer

A Prayer for the Nation and Our Next President, Barack Obama

By The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire

Opening Inaugural Event Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC  January 18, 2009

Welcome to Washington! The fun is about to begin, but first, please join me in pausing for a moment, to ask God’s blessing upon our nation and our next president.

O God of our many understandings, we pray that you will…

Bless us with tears – for a world in which over a billion people exist on less than a dollar a day, where young women from many lands are beaten and raped for wanting an education, and thousands die daily from malnutrition, malaria, and AIDS.

Bless us with anger – at discrimination, at home and abroad, against refugees and immigrants, women, people of color, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Bless us with discomfort – at the easy, simplistic "answers" we’ve preferred to hear from our politicians, instead of the truth, about ourselves and the world, which we need to face if we are going to rise to the challenges of the future.

Bless us with patience – and the knowledge that none of what ails us will be "fixed" anytime soon, and the understanding that our new president is a human being, not a messiah.

Bless us with humility – open to understanding that our own needs must always be balanced with those of the world.

Bless us with freedom from mere tolerance – replacing it with a genuine respect and warm embrace of our differences, and an understanding that in our diversity, we are stronger.

Bless us with compassion and generosity – remembering that every religion’s God judges us by the way we care for the most vulnerable in the human community, whether across town or across the world.

And God, we give you thanks for your child Barack, as he assumes the office of President of the United States.

Give him wisdom beyond his years, and inspire him with Lincoln’s reconciling leadership style, President Kennedy’s ability to enlist our best efforts, and Dr. King’s dream of a nation for ALL the people.

Give him a quiet heart, for our Ship of State needs a steady, calm captain in these times.

Give him stirring words, for we will need to be inspired and motivated to make the personal and common sacrifices necessary to facing the challenges ahead.

Make him color-blind, reminding him of his own words that under his leadership, there will be neither red nor blue states, but the United States.

Help him remember his own oppression as a minority, drawing on that experience of discrimination, that he might seek to change the lives of those who are still its victims.

Give him the strength to find family time and privacy, and help him remember that even though he is president, a father only gets one shot at his daughters’ childhoods.

And please, God, keep him safe. We know we ask too much of our presidents, and we’re asking FAR too much of this one. We know the risk he and his wife are taking for all of us, and we implore you, O good and great God, to keep him safe. Hold him in the palm of your hand – that he might do the work we have called him to do, that he might find joy in this impossible calling, and that in the end, he might lead us as a nation to a place of integrity, prosperity and peace.

AMEN.

[H/T Millineryman]

104 Responses to "Bishop Excluded by HBO Broadcast, Opening Ceremony Prayer Edited Out"
Kassandra | Monday January 19, 2009 06:11 am 1

What a great prayer! I love the “blessings with difficulties” parts. I didn’t see the opening prayer, I was in bed, sick!

I wonder WHY HBO edited him out. Lisa, did you “get” to see Warren?

Thanks for posting this. I always love your posts!

mack | Monday January 19, 2009 06:12 am 2

Not being a cable subscriber, I have nothing to threaten HBO with.
But this sucks.

mack | Monday January 19, 2009 06:13 am 3

We can only pray that Rick Warren gets the same treatment.
Support separation of Church and State.

Kitt | Monday January 19, 2009 06:17 am 4

Someone on another thread about this said that HBO replied to an email they had sent to them, and HBO said that it wasn’t their decision to not air the prayer, it was someone from the Obama crew.

Sorry about being vague. That’s all I know from what I’ve read. Others will, hopefully, fill in the blanks.

Kassandra | Monday January 19, 2009 06:19 am 5

Apparently his mike wasn’t even turned on! HBO’s broadcast began AFTER Robinson’s prayer…very strange.
Rev. Robinson: New president is a man, ‘not a messiah’

Bluetoe2 | Monday January 19, 2009 06:20 am 6

As long as the corporate media and their wealthy sycophant newsreaders control the message America is indeed “fucked!”

buddydon | Monday January 19, 2009 06:21 am 7

ye kin see it here: http://blog.christianitytoday……_kick.html

solai | Monday January 19, 2009 06:21 am 8

That’s a moving prayer. I’d like to understand this as well.

twolf1 | Monday January 19, 2009 06:24 am 9
In response to buddydon @ 7

Or you can see it at the top of this page…

WarOnWarOff | Monday January 19, 2009 06:26 am 10

Wow. Just bought and installed my digital converter box last weekend, after toying with the idea of getting cable. Glad I won’t be giving any money to those bloody homophobes.

eCAHNomics | Monday January 19, 2009 06:27 am 11
In response to Kitt @ 4

Heh. I was going to write a snark about that, so now you say it’s true that PEBO;s behind it. Why am I not surprised.

SaltinWound | Monday January 19, 2009 06:28 am 12

HBO is a very gay-friendly company. I would be surprised if this was their decision. Six Feet Under is typical of the kind of show they put on–even the straight characters turn out to be gay. Alan Ball would be a good person to reach and take this to HBO if it was their decision. I would be shocked if it was.

Lisa Derrick | Monday January 19, 2009 06:31 am 13

Bishop Robinson’s remarks were at 2:25, the show started at 2;30, HBO couldnt squeeze mins into the broadcast for this.On the otherhand we could argue that by excluding the remarks they were keeping the who show religion free. However reports are coming in that the sound quality was bad during Robinson’s speech and the first half of his prayer was ost to the crowd.

I wonder if tomorrow they will have someone signing for the deaf, or close captioning on the mall screens?

BooRadley | Monday January 19, 2009 06:31 am 14

Thanks Lisa.

digg

T-Bear | Monday January 19, 2009 06:31 am 15

That is sooo American, how awfully white of HBO

BooRadley | Monday January 19, 2009 06:33 am 16
In response to Kitt @ 4

That sounds more likely to me.

solai | Monday January 19, 2009 06:40 am 17

Obama and Biden weren’t even on the stage when the prayer was read. Another slap in the face to the gay community. And don’t forget that selling the rights to HBO allowed them to control the content in a way that would not be possible if it were aired on CNN etc.

NorskeFlamethrower | Monday January 19, 2009 06:42 am 18

AND THE KILLIN’ GOEZ ON AND ON AND….

Citizen Lisa Derrick and the Firepup Freedom Fighters:

Bless your heart, Sister Lisa, and thank you for givin’ Mrs. Norske and I another good reason to cancel fuckin’ HBO (though I will miss productions like the Adams series). It is time to call upon some NGO’s (like MoveOn and others) to organize a boycott of HBO…I really think the GLBT community could put the fear of many gods into the heart of corporate America like they did in California and I would be honored to be asked by my GLBT brothers and sisters to join the effort.

KEEP THE FAITH AND PASS THE AMMUNITION, THE BEAST IS NOT DEAD YET!!!

eCAHNomics | Monday January 19, 2009 06:42 am 19
In response to solai @ 17

Yet another prez who knows how to get elected then makes every mistake in the book after the election’s over?

NorskeFlamethrower | Monday January 19, 2009 06:49 am 20
In response to SaltinWound @ 12

Citizen SaltinWound:

It’s not our responsibility as consumers to create excuses or rationalizations for bigoted and biased actions of corporate entities especially as in this case where the bastards are gunna make hundreds of millions on the DVD, music etc…

No, I say boycott the bastards and throw ‘em outta business…maybe we could use this to make a citizen’s callenge to their network license. But Don’t ever back down from the bastards…especially not now!

solai | Monday January 19, 2009 06:50 am 21
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 18

I don’t think the blame lies with HBO. This was masterfully done by the Obama people. It’s going to blow up in their face, methinks. The hypocrisy is astounding. They used the inclusion of Robinson to counter the uproar over Warren, then totally ignore him by not even being on the stage during his prayer, leaving his mike off, making sure the news networks can’t broadcast it by selling it exclusively to HBO, then have HBO leave it out. Wow. Astoundingly brilliant.

Cellar47 | Monday January 19, 2009 06:51 am 22

Obama ordered HB not to broadcast Gene Robinson.

Yet another betrayal.

Wake up, people — we have been ROLLED!

NorskeFlamethrower | Monday January 19, 2009 06:52 am 23
In response to eCAHNomics @ 19

Citizen eCAHNomics:

No, Citizen, I think what we have is a President who prioritizes and picks his battles and will respond if he gets enough heat from his base…which up until this moment has NOT been the corporate oligarchy.

eCAHNomics | Monday January 19, 2009 06:53 am 24
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 23

I’ll believe that when I see him do a single thing that’s right. So far his score is zero.

NorskeFlamethrower | Monday January 19, 2009 06:55 am 25
In response to solai @ 21

Citizen Solai:

I don’t think this was a condition demanded by the Obama folks, I think this was done by HBO and Obasma’s folks didn’t bring it up…tacit acceptance maybe but offers plausible deniablility

oldgold | Monday January 19, 2009 06:59 am 26

As a hick from the sticks, I am admit to being naive about the corporate media, but I am not convinced this was the result of a sordid clandestine plot.

hackworth | Monday January 19, 2009 06:59 am 27

If I were a betting man, I’d wager that Rick Warren and his asshole prayer will be broadcast in all its ignorant, bigoted glory. Perhaps now is a good time for a mass protest so that Warren can receive equal treatment vis a vis a media blackout in equal measure.

RevBev | Monday January 19, 2009 06:59 am 28

Do we know there was an order? That sounds like a leap to me.

Millineryman | Monday January 19, 2009 07:00 am 29

Thnaks Lisa for amplifying this.

Here’s what HBO said in their response

Contacted Sunday night by AfterElton.com concerning the exclusion of Robinson’s prayer, HBO said via email, “The producer of the concert has said that the Presidential Inaugural Committee made the decision to keep the invocation as part of the pre-show.”

And here is the video of the prayer.

luzeelu | Monday January 19, 2009 07:02 am 30

I heard this morning that Robinson is going to be on NPR’s Talk of the Nation (2 pm ET) this afternoon so hopefully he’ll have something to say about this. And you can call in to ask about it. Sounds like it’s not HBO’s fault, although I did write them yesterday to complain. Apparently one should complain to the Inauguration Committee or the transition team. The Bishop’s mike was cut during much of it, according to what I’ve read by people who were there.

Hell, I’m a non-Christian, straight, white grandmother but I did want to hear Bishop Robinson’s invocation anyway, as a contrast to Bigot Warren if nothing else.

eCAHNomics | Monday January 19, 2009 07:03 am 31
In response to Millineryman @ 29

Thanks. Interesting choice of words too: pre-show, not pre-ceremony. I wonder whether HBO or PEBO chose the word “show.”

alank | Monday January 19, 2009 07:05 am 32

So, you went all that distance but you didn’t go the final leg to the Lincoln Memorial, instead bought dodgy food watched HBO. And you want to take it out on HBO that you couldn’t be bovvered enuf to go to the Washington mall. Well, I never!

SaltinWound | Monday January 19, 2009 07:05 am 33
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 20

You’re going to boycott one of the most gay-friendly companies in the country, both internally and in terms of the shows they put on the air, without even knowing whether this was their decision? You and I are on opposite sides of this one. This is why progressive groups splinter.

Millineryman | Monday January 19, 2009 07:08 am 34
In response to eCAHNomics @ 31

Sounds to me like that was HBO since they are entertainment company and shows are their product.

eCAHNomics | Monday January 19, 2009 07:10 am 35
In response to Millineryman @ 34

Yeah, you’re probably right on that one.

Apphouse50 | Monday January 19, 2009 07:13 am 36
In response to Kitt @ 4

Thank heavens we can get back to blaming Obama. That didn’t take long at all! I’m so relieved.

katymine | Monday January 19, 2009 07:15 am 37
In response to Millineryman @ 29

Lisa…. you need to learn a little about TeeVee production. There are several layers of why this was not included in the program. As Milleryman stated, the producer working for the Obama team, there is the moble TV truck Director, his producer and directives from various levels such as HBO but not including what the program scheduled and sectioned off as pre-show, show, post show. In other areas there are segments onsite viewers see and broadcast viewers do not see during breaks.

I have seen this over and over again where someone accuses the company at the top of X with no knowledge of the industry and those who work in it. Example was the crazyness over at kos because someone assumed that ESPN did not air the Boo’s at the first NOLA Dome game and was soooo sure it was an ESPN/Disney plot. Funny thing is that I was talking to my boyfriend on his cell phone right at that moment who was the tech manager of that show. NO Boo’s heard…..

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 07:19 am 38

i’m not ready to blame either hbo or obama – yet. need more info first. but whoever was to blame this needs a response. not acceptable. so for now, imo, they can both take the heat unless and until we get the straight scoop.

katymine | Monday January 19, 2009 07:23 am 39
In response to Millineryman @ 34

That large of a production probably has been in the planning since Nov 4th. My boyfriend has been working on the Super Bowl planning since August and since Christmas had been working everyday on conference calls and logistics for the production in Tampa.

It would be divided into segments, decisions (that is the question of WHO made those decisions). If the Obama Inauguration team was making those decisions then someone needs to ask them. BUT in this large production there would be days of setup, a pre-show to keep the crowd engaged, the show and then could have a post show. Who decides which part gets televised is decided way before and the schedule is strictly followed. What shots and views show is up to the TeeVee truck Director.

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 07:23 am 40

I have a hard time believing that anyone in the Obama Inaugural Committee would have said: “Let’s leave it out. We got the credit for appointing him to make the invocation, and they’re a stupid, insensitive group, and probably won’t notice.” It could be, but I doubt it.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 07:24 am 41
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 23

yes, obama has picked his battles (see fisa, wall street bail out, wright, warren, etc) – the problem as i see it is that not once (and i look forward to your correction if i have this wrong) has obama sided with the underdog / little guy. it’s always been on the side of power – which is the defining characteristic of the corporate oligarchy

demi | Monday January 19, 2009 07:24 am 42
In response to Millineryman @ 29

Thanks for posting the video link.
Nice invocation. The good Bishop didn’t get to a high position in a well established denomination for no reason. Warren, on the other hand, has his Own Church. See the difference?
Dr. King’s words are echoing in my head. Not only the fierce urgency of now, but also “The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to take shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.”

SaltinWound | Monday January 19, 2009 07:25 am 43

The heat some are suggesting is a boycott of HBO. You think that’s a good idea, while we wait for the straight scoop?

SaltinWound | Monday January 19, 2009 07:26 am 44

That was for selise.

constantweader | Monday January 19, 2009 07:27 am 45

HBO is claiming they weren’t responsible for this, & I believe them. After all, how likely is it that the Obama team left the scheduling to HBO??? SOMEBODY scheduled Robinson to give the invocation at 2:25 (when the speakers around the Mall went dead to a mysterious “technical difficulty”); SOMEBODY scheduled the HBO show to go live at 2:30; SOMEBODY scheduled the Obamas & Bidens to show up at 2:50.

All of this could not have been an HBO choice — it was a deliberate Obama &/or Obama team diss. It’s unpardonable unless Gene Robinson is invited to repeat his prayer at the inaugural. Period.

The Constant Weader at http://www.RealityChex.com

Kitt | Monday January 19, 2009 07:27 am 46
In response to Apphouse50 @ 36

If that was a sarcastic remark directed at me, hold your fire. I only passed on what has been thus far recorded. Myself, I don’t know who was responsible, and I’m not jumping on any band wagons until more is known.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 07:27 am 47
In response to SaltinWound @ 43

don’t know.

oldgold | Monday January 19, 2009 07:28 am 48
In response to Crosstimbers @ 40

Exactly so. It makes zero sense. I suspect it was the result of a f’up, given most events like this are fubar.

abbyowner | Monday January 19, 2009 07:33 am 49

Seems to me a lot of phony outrage. This prayer was clearly part of the pre-show activities. As an atheist, I sincerly hope we can “edit out” all of the prayer activities and phony religion in our state activities. It has no place in our ship of state.

SaltinWound | Monday January 19, 2009 07:35 am 50

I think putting heat on HBO in order to get more info makes sense. Boycotting a company that’s put a lot of shows with gay characters on the air–whose audience expects it–without first getting more information, is crazy. I’m really disappointed people here can’t make that distinction.

eCAHNomics | Monday January 19, 2009 07:37 am 51
In response to abbyowner @ 49

It’s not about the prayer. It’s about how gays are treated.

katymine | Monday January 19, 2009 07:39 am 52

Also, this event wasn’t a charity event where TV put it on for free. Starting with the cost of the crew and the trucks which can run $10,000-20,000, then the cost of the Satellite rental time which is thousands of dollars PER second. Someone planned this even to work like clockwork. They had X amount of broadcast time. What was included and excluded was decided by who was scheduling the show. HBO is just the broadcaster.

This is how it works, the Obama team contacts HBO and contracts for a show. They agree on price and time. HBO hires the TeeVee crew. They produce the show to the schedule given to them by the Obama Team. IF there wasn’t enough time to include everything then someone from the Obama team decided what was excluded. NOT HBO or the TeeVee crew.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 07:43 am 53
In response to eCAHNomics @ 51

amen sister! *g*

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 07:43 am 54

Thank heavens. I think the country can do fine with zero faith in another president for four more years, but if we temporarily lose faith in a network, we’re done for.

james | Monday January 19, 2009 07:43 am 55
In response to NorskeFlamethrower @ 23

I think you are completely wrong on this.

The man was allowed to become president so he could do away with the remnants of the New Deal and so that the “huddling masses” of the unemployed and bankrupt working and middle classes still in shock from the liquidation of their retirement funds wouldn’t rise up and finally do something about it.

It’s a brilliant stroke. Use a Democrat, and a Black Democrat at that, to do away with entitlement programs.

I didn’t trust him before he was elected and his first personnel choice of Mossad Emanuel secured my distrust.

Call me cynical.

oldgold | Monday January 19, 2009 07:46 am 56
In response to james @ 55

OK, James, you are cynical.

NorskeFlamethrower | Monday January 19, 2009 07:52 am 57
In response to james @ 55

Citizen James:

Ok, I’ll call you “cynical” but I’d like ta remind you that though they are powerful, the oligarchy ain’t that smart and can you really see the Bushes and the Bucklies and the Mellon Scaiffes gettin’ past their racism to tolerate even a “house servant” in the master bedroom? I think not!

Don’t let yer cynicism make ya miss the Spring thaw!

Millineryman | Monday January 19, 2009 07:54 am 58

As gay man Ive had enough. I’m all for applying heat to all sides until I’m treated like a equal human being.

Gay friendly, oh wow, you like me you really, really like me. So what, I’m a human being like everyone else.

If that includes forcing business executives to rethink their approach to making money so that I along with many others are recognized for who we are then so be it.

And that means applying the pressure on the political side of it to. This may or may not have been a set of circumstances that just fell through some cracks. The points need to be addressed so this whole notion of gay friendly vs. anti-gay is done with.

I’m tired of being stepped on and excused away.

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 08:00 am 59

I don’t understand what anyone who wishes this country well loses by giving the new administration the benefit of the doubt. If Obama is as bad and devious as many of you suspect, can you change it or improve anything by continuously crying or snarking about it at this point? On the other hand, if what we are led to understand about the need for public support is true to overcome the challenges we face, you can seriously undermine that from the start. The only point I can see in all of the knee jerk negativity is if, as some admittedly do, you openly advocate revolution.

PriscillaQOB | Monday January 19, 2009 08:01 am 60

Not to add fuel to the fire but didn’t I also read that the gay men’s chorus appeared on TV without any titles announcing who they were? The cynic in me sees this as the transition team’s idea of appeasing the gays while also avoiding offending the fundies. If that was the case, massive fail. I can accept that the invocation was part of the “pre-show” but I am skeptical about the whole thing from past experience with the Clintons and the Democratic party in general when it comes to walking the walk RE gays. I like this quote from tvbarn.com (Kansas City) from a straight blogger:

“Whatever excuse the Obama people choose, exactly zero Americans saw Bishop Robinson on TV welcoming America to a day celebrating a president who is supposedly, to quote Colin Powell, a transformational figure.

And 150 million people will see Rick Warren do the same thing on Tuesday.

Some transformation.”

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:02 am 61
In response to Millineryman @ 58

in that case, i withdraw my comment @43. it’s the people who are most affected i will look to for guidance in informing my opinions. if the glbt community calls for a boycott of hbo, i’m on board.

msmolly | Monday January 19, 2009 08:04 am 62
In response to PriscillaQOB @ 60

It is my understanding that they didn’t label any of the choirs that performed. I didn’t see it, so this is second-hand info, but I read it yesterday on a blog thread discussing the omission of Robinson and the choir’s name.

Gitcheegumee | Monday January 19, 2009 08:05 am 63

Well,it does seem “odd”,considering that HBO runs the “L” word .

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:06 am 64
In response to Crosstimbers @ 59

because it’s not about judging obama’s intentions or character – it’s about judging his actions.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 08:07 am 65

Screw HBO. There goes the one speech I was actually looking forward too (I am not kidding. I was impressed when I read Bishop Robinson wanted to do a secular speech for all the peoples of America.) Well thanks Lisa and FDL for posting the speech.

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 08:08 am 66
In response to selise @ 64

So what beneficial thing to you believe your judgement has accomplished?

PriscillaQOB | Monday January 19, 2009 08:10 am 67

Crosstimbers, being blatantly lied to and thrown under the bus by the democratic party for years has left many of us a bit scarred. Obama reached out to us and promised us a seat at the table, an open ear to hear our voices, an advocate who who fight for our rights, and equal opportunity in his government in return for our money, time, and support. We did our part and we’re waiting to see him do his.

So far, the track record’s not great. From Donnie McLurkin to Rick Warren, to his backpedaling on marriage equality and his decision not to make Proposition 8 something he wanted to fight close to election day has left a bad taste in our mouths. Clinton fed us many of the same platitudes and we ended up with DOMA and Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and when the Republican weirdos started screaming loud enough, Clinton quickly tossed us under the bus. It was supposed to be better than the hideous
Reagan and Bush I years but it wasn’t. A few token members of the administration and nothing substantial even proposed legislatively.

The Democratic party eliminated the LGBT liaison office last year and just settled a discrimination lawsuit against the former holder of that position. We are continuously told we are welcome at donation time and during GOTV but when it comes to sticking up for our interests and actually doing something, we are always told “Now is not the right time” and we are sick of the duplicity and sick of the betrayal. We are watching Obama closely because we are not longer willing to be party to our own victimization. Unless we stand up loudly and consistently for ourselves we will never reach equality. It’s that simple.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 08:11 am 68

Selise, also consider Robinson proposed to be a little mavericky by talking about making a secular speech. You don’t need glbt guidance on that one.
Well, even if HBO didn’t run Robinson’s speech for malign reasons, it is still an dreadful error in my judgement.

james | Monday January 19, 2009 08:13 am 69
In response to Crosstimbers @ 59

As a combat veteran, a Marine, yes, I openly advocate revolution at this point.

I’ve had enough of people being treated like pawns, of children being exploited at every level, of women being used and discarded, of all people being used and discarded, and of being told, wait, it’s coming, just don’t ask for it too soon, or don’t ask for too much.

If no one did anything during the last eight years what makes you think anyone will do anything to change things this time? The system isn’t broken; in case you haven’t noticed it’s working just fine for those who benefit from it. Trash the Constitution and walk away with billions of dollars. Lie so that you can test your theories of nation building, get thousands of Americans killed and who knows how many Iraqis left dead and nothing, absofuckinglutely nothing happens to you except you get a nice new propaganda center down there by SMU where new dittoheads can get their training.

Nothing short of revolution, a new civil war to wipe out the unreconstructed bastards in congress and anywhere else their little copperheads are hiding, will do. We ain’t getting universal health care because Obama’s beholden to the Wall Street money people who financed him and insurance companies carry a lot of weight, just look at how necessary it was to bailout AIG.

SaltinWound | Monday January 19, 2009 08:14 am 70
In response to Millineryman @ 58

I’m all for applying heat. My only disagreement is with people calling for a boycott without information. Are you for a boycott? Would you like to know more first. I would. “Applying heat” is vague.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:17 am 71
In response to Crosstimbers @ 66

So what beneficial thing to you believe your judgement has accomplished?

action requires accurate and wise judgement. if for no other purpose than to tell the truth as best we can. but in this case there are many lives at stake – imo as citizens of both the country and the world we have a responsibility to see, to think, to judge and to act.

i also judged that invading iraq would be wrong and spent a lot of effort protesting the war before it started. you could say my judgement accomplished nothing (although i would disagree), but i don’t regret what i did – i only regret not having done more.

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 08:17 am 72
In response to PriscillaQOB @ 67

Well, I am for what you seek and, to the degree I can, I understand your suspicions. I guess I would just ask for continued patience for a while longer. It seems to me we face very serious challenges as to whether we will have a continued chance to improve that situation and others with any semblance of the relative domestic peace and prosperity in which we have lived. If not, there may be a certain justice, in that we will all be pretty close to equal opportunities in going down in economic depression, civil unrest or war, and revolution. I would hope for more peaceful change.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:18 am 73
In response to mui1 @ 68

good point.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 08:19 am 74
In response to selise @ 71

Amen. And you do it well.

Millineryman | Monday January 19, 2009 08:19 am 75
In response to selise @ 61

Thanks selise. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Millineryman | Monday January 19, 2009 08:26 am 76
In response to SaltinWound @ 70

We all have our own choices to make. Some feel that a e-mail will do it for them, some feel a boycott is in order. It’s all heat.

If you want to wait for more information that’s your choice, doesn’t mean that I or other have to.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:26 am 77
In response to Millineryman @ 75

i don’t have cable, so i don’t have a contract to cancel. am open to any other actions you can suggest.

in any event, at the very least, i wanted to make some statement of solidarity so you would know that even though i may be angsting about any particular event or issue, imo you should not have to fight this battle on your own. you do have allies (abet human and imperfect) and i would like to be one.

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 08:28 am 78
In response to james @ 69

Congradulations on your sevice. I served also, for four years, though not in combat. I’ve had the benefit of a society that allowed me graduate from college, raise and send three children through college, and live relatively well. At the same time, I could have some voice in advocating the expansion of those benefits to others. While there have been many errors and injustices in our history, I think there are many which have been far more brutal and oppressive and offered no peaceful means of change. You are entitled to do what wish in starting a revolution, but I’ll fight you.

Millineryman | Monday January 19, 2009 08:30 am 79
In response to selise @ 77

I know your with me and others on this sleise, and I appreciate your support.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:30 am 80
In response to mui1 @ 74

you always make me feel better than i think i have a right to. but some days (like today) i need the boost – so thank you very much. (((mui1)))

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:33 am 81
In response to Millineryman @ 79

p.s. i did send an email.

PriscillaQOB | Monday January 19, 2009 08:34 am 82
In response to Crosstimbers @ 72

I understand your wish for patience. I have none left. Perhaps because I started my involvement in politics during the Anita Bryant/Briggs Initiative days and proceeded through the ACT-UP phase of the AIDS pandemic. It was literally a life-threatening activity to stand up for gay rights back then.

My ACT-UP days taught me and many like me that the proverbial “squeaky wheel gets the grease” and it was only by screaming publicly, loud and long, that we were able to achieve the amazing changes we did.

It wasn’t enough though, to echo Selise. Hundreds of thousands still died, including over 40 of my own friends and peers whom I still remember and fight for. And when I first came out, over 30 years ago, I would get shot at by rednecks when I entered and exited the little hidden gay bar in the small Appalachian city in WV I grew up in. Cinder blocks were thrown through our car windows. Friends were beaten and shot and arrested with alarming regularity.

So yes, the financial turmoil and the general unrest of the world are very concerning to me but survival is my operating mode, for good or ill. That may be a similar motive for many others of my generation. We bled and suffered to get to this point where a gay priest could stand at the Lincoln Memorial and deliver an invocation and we won’t accept a blackout of this event or any other kind of re-closeting ever again. The price is too damn high.

I worked hard to elect Obama and I will continue to nag, cajole, criticize, and remind until he does the right thing by me and mine. And if he doesn’t, I will continue until someone does. No apologies.

Millineryman | Monday January 19, 2009 08:35 am 83
In response to SaltinWound @ 70

I do realize any media outlet would’ve have followed what the PIC said, but I’ve had enough. Maybe the media meeds to see throwing us under has it consequences too. That’s what I’m getting at.

oldgold | Monday January 19, 2009 08:36 am 84

As an old boy and/or young man I had the bad habit of pissing and moaning about nearly everything. One day my grandfather looked at me with disgust and said, “Do you ever get tired of trying to pick the fly shit out of the pepper?”

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 08:39 am 85
In response to PriscillaQOB @ 82

I don’t argue with anything you say and respect your position. If it turns out that Obama was responsible for silencing the prayer, I will hold it against him and do anything I can to rectify that position. In this case, I would like to know what really happened before assigning blame, when a great deal rides on confidence in his administration.

SaltinWound | Monday January 19, 2009 08:46 am 86

Selise, I agree that action requires accurate and wise judgment. I don’t believe even an attempt is being made at accurate judgment here in regards to HBO.

selise | Monday January 19, 2009 08:46 am 87
In response to Crosstimbers @ 72

I guess I would just ask for continued patience for a while longer.

the battle for equal rights for our glbt brothers and sisters is not separate from the battle for economic justice.

as for patience, this seems appropriate – especially today. from Martin Luther King’s “Letter from Birmingham Jail”

My friends, I must say to you that we have not made a single gain civil rights without determined legal and nonviolent pressure. Lamentably, it is an historical fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily. Individuals may see the moral light and voluntarily give up their unjust posture; but, as Reinhold Niebuhr has reminded us, groups tend to be more immoral than individuals.

We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct-action campaign that was “well timed” in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word “Wait!” It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This “Wait” has almost always meant ‘Never.” We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that “justice too long delayed is justice denied.”

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fan in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with an its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

Apphouse50 | Monday January 19, 2009 08:51 am 88
In response to Kitt @ 46

Not at you specifically. But this kind of story gets RapiTraction and it would be ever so nice if we could have just another day or two before the games begin in earnest and every misstep gets overdone in blogworld.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 08:55 am 89

In the spirit of Bishop Robinson’s speech, I suggest we don’t treat Obama’s inauguration as the total civil rights coup the media is parading it as. (understatement) Now is not the time to cool down as Dr. King once said.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 08:58 am 90

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of . . .

Just substitute “bipartisanship”in place of “order.”

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 08:58 am 91
In response to selise @ 87

Yes, but I don’t think MLK joined every protest and exercised every opportunity to express his disatisfaction. I believe the evidence is that he actually acted under some constraints, with regard to John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, in order not to undermine some of their efforts. At other times, he felt it important to ignore what they would have advocated.

Similarly, he had to deal with anti-King elements within the African-American community, who were impatient with his methods. You’ll have to judge whether he thought those were helpful or harmful to his efforts.

Additionally, there are numerous historical examples of progressive movements, such as liberal movements in Germany in the twenties and thirties, and more moderate liberal movements such as the Kerensky goverment in Russia, which could not unify support and eventally failed with a resulting victory for tyranny.

PriscillaQOB | Monday January 19, 2009 09:02 am 92
In response to selise @ 87

Selise, so beautifully appropriate for today! Thanks! I will add 2 quotes from Frederick Douglass that I keep framed over my desk for decades now. They were a gift from a teacher when I returned to college years ago:

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.

Power concedes nothing without demand. It never has and never will.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 09:03 am 93
In response to selise @ 80

I think you misunderestimate yourself, Selise. You’re a darn good patriot.
BTW I just saw a very interesting documentary.

AitchD | Monday January 19, 2009 09:04 am 94

I don’t get HBO. How did Tiger Woods look without his ball cap? Tiger’s a Buddhist and a huge idol in Dubai (and perhaps the wealthiest person in attendance), so I wouldn’t rule out either his influence or deference to his wishes. Everyone has their third eye on their legacy.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 09:04 am 95

I mean interesting documentary-link.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 09:04 am 96

Crap I can’t seem to link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9Hal0gycg

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 09:07 am 97

Crosstimbers@91. My understanding is that students got annoyed with MLK for listening to Bobby Kennedy who was telling them to “cool out.” The students, in my view were right, to apply the heat when they did.

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 09:10 am 98
In response to mui1 @ 97

Fine, but you wouldn’t conclude that Dr. King, based on that observable action, was reactionary and should be undermined. At least I wouldn’t.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 09:11 am 99
In response to Crosstimbers @ 98

No he eventually went with the flow (the students) and included “now is not the time to cool out” in that famous speech.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 09:16 am 100

Crosstimbers | Monday January 19, 2009 09:19 am 101
In response to mui1 @ 99

But if he hadn’t, he should have been opposed in all of his subsequent efforts?

LBJ is interesting with regard to this issue. Throughout his political life, prior to becoming president, his actions with regard to race were pretty much those of a southern conservative Democrat. Otherwise, he would never have been returned to Congress or the Senate, much less the Vice Presidency. It’s a problem in a democratic country, that you have to get elected to do anything.

Okay, that’s it for me, today. Honest people can honestly disagree.

mui1 | Monday January 19, 2009 09:22 am 102
In response to Crosstimbers @ 101

Hard question.No and I guess it depends.

beichel | Monday January 19, 2009 12:03 pm 103

Well Kassandra (#1) it seems you jumped to conclusions. I hope you feel rather embarrassed. Since it seems that HBO had nothing to do with the mic being off and secondly it was an honest mistake. You should know all about embarrassing mistakes. The mic was turned on near the end of the prayer. But Kassandra you are not alone. It seems a lot of people like to jump conclusions and make themselves a victim. But what they don’t realize it just makes them look foolish to the rest of us.

egregious | Monday January 19, 2009 12:12 pm 104

I hope we can have this conversation without resorting to calling out another person’s sense of embarrassment or their mistakes or saying they look stupid. Let’s stick to the ideas please.