Bristol’s Word of Wisdom as Palin Spins

ai1314.thumbnail.jpgAs part of statement issued by the Frost Lady of Alaska’s office in an transparent attempt to make Mommy Dearest look good, Bristol Palin said that she "obviously" discourages teen pregnancy. But whoa, check out the pro-contraception message:

Teenagers need to prevent pregnancy to begin with — this isn’t ideal. But I’m fortunate to have a supportive family which is dealing with this together. Tripp is so perfectly precious; we love him with all our hearts. I can’t imagine life without him now.

The Anchorage Daily News has more from Gov GILF who spent the last day of the year, emailing the Associated Press and Anchorage Daily News and calling People Magazine to counter the impression that Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston, Tripp’s 18 year old father are a high school drop-outs. In October, Johnston told the AP he had "left" high school to work as an apprentice oil field electrician. Previously Palin had said Bristol had taken high school correspondence courses as well as attending high school.

Then just to make sure her frantic spin was received, Palin issued a statement :

Bristol begins her final semester of high school next week where she’ll get her last credit needed to graduate. Levi is continuing his online high school work in addition to working as an electrical apprentice on the North Slope.

The gubernatorial grandma went on to say:

When Bristol and Levi first told us the shocking news that she was pregnant, to be honest, we all at first looked at the situation with some fear and a bit of despair. Isn’t it just like God to turn those circumstances into such an amazing, joyful blessing when you ask Him to help you through?

I wonder what Bristol is going to do with all those baby gifts from around the world? Will she sell the baby pics of Tripp?

The statement ended with Palin stating she preferred to keep the baby a private, family matter. However she admitted about Tripp:

We are over the moon.

Palin’s spokesperson Bill McAllister said:

Palin chose to break her silence on the birth because of the volume of questions coming from the press, and because of "erroneous information that was published."

Palin had a few weeks between the end of the election and Tripp’s birth to frame how she’d handle Tripp’s birth.  Her lack of both foresight and insight into how the media and the public work is further proof she doesn’t have the chops for 2012.

51 Responses to "Bristol’s Word of Wisdom as Palin Spins"
twolf1 | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:16 am 1

“Palin” and “wisdom” do not go together. :)

TobyWollin | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:17 am 2

Jeeze, Sarah – how is it that the DH and I somehow managed to get three kids into, through, and out of high school AND college without any of them getting pregnant or getting anyone else pregnant? Hmm? Are we magic? Did we lock our kids up and feed them under the door? What did we do that is obviously so much more effective than ‘purity pledges’, ‘prayer’ and whatever it was that you, ‘first dude’ and Levi Johnston’s parents did or did NOT do with Bristol and Levi? Here’s a hint: In-for-mation. Lots and lots of information – about hormones, about relationships, about success in life(the kids refer to that discussion as ‘the fast-train-to-Palookaville talk’), about dreams, about dreams that get cut off at the knees, about ’short-term’ thinking, about contraception, about abortion, about personal responsibility, about pregnancy-and its costs, requirements, and long term implications. We talked a LOT…in the car, over the kitchen table, at games, out in the barn taking care of the livestock. And, somehow, it worked. You, madam(if I may borrow a Keith Olberman-ism), and your husband have some serious issues with delusional thinking – IMHO the same train of non-thought that encouraged you to get pregnant in your 40s also encouraged a situation where whatever dreams Bristol had for HER life have now been put in the deep freeze. Palin should think about all the things that she has been able to do and achieve because she was NOT a mom as a teenager — from Bristol’s perspective, I hope she is ready to do all the things that will NOW be necessary to help Bristol climb over what is frankly a huge barrier to her being able to achieve any of her dreams – however, given Palin’s response, I somehow doubt it.

ratfood | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:29 am 3

What are the odds that Bristol will be baking bun number two before she completes that last semester of high school?

Cellar47 | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:30 am 4

Grifters and low-lifes the lot of them.

hackworth | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:32 am 5

The teenaged Palin offers more common sense that the Grandma Palin:

Here’s Grandma:

Nonsensical Christian Platitudes. Almost any suburban American family enjoys and accepts lovingly the birth of a bastard grandchild. My parents did when my teen sister gave birth. It all works out. Eveybody freaks out at first, but then it all smoothes out. It’s a very natural occurance.

gussmith | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:33 am 6

None of it adds up as far as family values. Palin was never willing to make the sacrifices that put her children first. Why as a nation are we dwelling on this family when there are so many better examples? In the modern era, boomers and pre-boomers planned for the raising of successful children. I applaud their faithfulness to the American dream (only contemplating the U.S. just now). We are letting the media create this representative of ‘the hockey mom’. Let’s make better choices and relegate Palin to the Alaskan suburbs.

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:36 am 7

Having grown up at just the right tiime-after the pill and before AIDS-I can’t believe there are still unintended pregnancies 4 decades later.

SouthernDragon | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:39 am 8
In response to TobyWollin @ 2

Wow. Well said, Toby.

katymine | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:43 am 9
In response to TobyWollin @ 2

I did the same with three kids……. It is called PARENTING…… and for two of them it was as a single mother…… soon will have the 2nd graduate college and they still are unmarried and childless….

Sure remember the rolled eyed discussions but it seemed to work….

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:43 am 10

OT
Very interesting session with Jeff Bezos on cspan2 re Kindle Books.
Claims to have 125,000 titles online after 6 months, device is much improved, can do margin notes, can look up word definitions, can download a book in 30 seconds for $10 per book. Goal is to have every book ever written.

demi | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:47 am 11

Regarding parenting…the really helpful part is the open communication. I remember when my daughter came to me and said she was ready for birth control. Her bf wanted to take her to Planned Parenthood, but she said, Oh no, my mom will take me to our doctor.
‘Course, maybe Bristol didn’t feel that comfortable going to her mom. Even with God’s help, that girl was on her own.

SouthernDragon | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:50 am 12
In response to eCAHNomics @ 10

I must be a Luddite. I have to pay $359 for the reader and $10 per book, which is about 1/3 of the price of a hardback. I think I’d rather haul the hardback around with me to read in the same places I’d use the Kindle Reader.

BooRadley | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:51 am 13

Thanks Lisa

digg

Hugh | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:53 am 14

The unintended subtext here is that Bristol and Levi were struggling to get through high school even before the pregnancy. Anyone remember Bristol’s 6 months of mono? As for Levi he simply dropped out. I suppose that completing high school would have interfered with his goal of being a kick-ass redneck.

Back to that subtext. How come no one is talking college with these two? (OK rhetorical question because they both seem dumb as rocks) But in our society, even a college degree is no longer a guarantee of a good long term job.

katymine | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:57 am 15

OT …
This makes me sick…… quote from the Rose Parade….. the amount of food on a float could feed a family of 4 for a year…….. a kazillion dollars and hours of labor for each of the floats…… and food is placed all over a float …… just the floats in that parade could feed all the hungry in California……

demi | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:57 am 16
In response to Hugh @ 14

You’re right about the degree not necessarily guaranteeing the better job offer, but the other benefits of higher education, the ability for critical thought, the expansion of understanding people and the world we live in is apparently something that the Palin/Levy family don’t lift up as a important. Why we had to witness the embarrassing answers gramma gave over and over again, I’m thinking.

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:58 am 17
In response to SouthernDragon @ 12

Example they gave was reading on long trips, where you can’t cart as many physical books as you’d like to read. Also, physical books aren’t always where you are. There are features unavailable to readers of physical books, like your marginalia and underlining are retrievable if you remember a key word.

When ebooks were originally introduced, I thought the best way to use them was for travel books, which are really heavy.

I own nearly 2,000 books, and storage is becoming a problem, so that’s another advantage.

And most physical books cost more than $10.

I never heard of it until today, but it sounds intriguing.

I always take about 3-4 books with when I travel (i.e. those trips not requiring guidebooks) but on my recent trip I did not take Nixonland, which I’m 5/7 thru because it’s just too big & heavy.

peterboy | Thursday January 1, 2009 08:59 am 18

they got their church. they got the union wages with benefits off the slope. they got some shot-em-fresh and hook-em-fresh protein off the tundra.
who needs college. I make more money than most college kids.

what more do they need?

alaska hillbillies.

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:01 am 19
In response to SouthernDragon @ 12

Also, you can get your daily newspaper delivered and they have some blogs online too. Uses the communications technology of sophisitcated cell phones and easier to read than a Blackberry.

Crosstimbers | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:01 am 20
In response to SouthernDragon @ 12

LOL. That’s pretty much my take, but I can remember saying to my wife, when we first began to hear of personal computers, “How many people have such complex affairs that they need their own personal computers?”

demi | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:04 am 21
In response to eCAHNomics @ 17

Welcome home. I hear you had a good time.
Ya didn’t leave anything behind this time? :)

sadlyyes | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:05 am 22

Sarah s grand designs thrust her very uneducated,dullard family into the limelight they were not prepared for,its one awkward stumble after another,sad that

sadlyyes | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:07 am 23

oh she is getting 300,000.00 dollars for her little mistake

PapaZita | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:10 am 24
In response to eCAHNomics @ 10

I’m guessing that Bezos and company are going to loot Project Gutenberg for all their older, out of copyright books. And then sell them, of course.

ratfood | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:11 am 25
In response to SouthernDragon @ 12

I don’t object to the concept but I can wait until the tenth generation or so when they’re better and cheaper. Hope people are taking the extra step of backing up the books they download.

Crosstimbers | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:13 am 26
In response to eCAHNomics @ 10

On 12/28, darksyde reviewed the utility of the kindle he got as a present in a daily kos posting. For some reason I can’t link it, but you can find it by googling “daily kos kindle”.

SouthernDragon | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:17 am 27
In response to eCAHNomics @ 19

I don’t travel any more. I can see where it would be convenient for many folks. Couple years ago when I got called up for Federal jury duty I took my 1200 page copy of Capital, Vol 1 with me. I’m at about 1000 volumes. Gave about an equal amount to the library when I moved into my present abode. Now I’m looking at adding another bookcase.

SouthernDragon | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:18 am 28
In response to SouthernDragon @ 27

Whoa, comment disappeared.

SouthernDragon | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:18 am 29
In response to SouthernDragon @ 28

Now it’s back. That was weird.

Crosstimbers | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:21 am 30

Regarding the post topic, my reaction on hearing about the pregnancy way, “Instead of saying thanks, but no thanks” to John McCain, she’s decided it was worth it to subject that poor girl to the scrutinly and comment of the entire nation. If the girl has the sensitivity of a salamander, she will never forgive her mother.

ratfood | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:23 am 31
In response to Crosstimbers @ 30

Maybe it will inspire her to do a better job defending her goal from incoming pucks.

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:27 am 32
In response to demi @ 21

My gloves, which fell to the floor of the car as I was getting out at the train station. All else came back with me. *g*

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:28 am 33
In response to Crosstimbers @ 26

Thanks. I found it and read it. I’ll wait for better, cheaper ones in the not-to-distant future, but as I am a bibliomaniac, I can tell already that it’s for me.

Ann in AZ | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:28 am 34
In response to Crosstimbers @ 30

Well, salamanders and sensitivity aside, I gotta wonder how much $ just a picture of little Tripp will net the young, non-high school grads? Also, has anybody told them about the General Educational Development Test? Once they pass that, if they want to take courses, they can consider the community colleges or even any university usually gives internet courses these days! Good grief, someone needs to help these kids along; if they’re going to act as adults, they need the information!

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:30 am 35
In response to PapaZita @ 24

That was not covered.

eCAHNomics | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:30 am 36

Off to read. BBL.

Crosstimbers | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:35 am 37
In response to Ann in AZ @ 34

Ididn’t mean to disparage salamanders, but they their reflexes aren’t the most swift and I associate them with the name Newt. I agree regarding the two young people but, judging from First Dude, Ms. Johnston, and Sarah’s Bush-like lack of curiousity, it doesn’t seem that education has a very high priority within the family and associates.

hawkseye36 | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:35 am 38

The Palin family remains the darling of low information voters.

Ann in AZ | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:51 am 39
In response to Crosstimbers @ 37

Well, the point I was trying to make was 1) The parents did not harm their children by dragging them kicking and screaming into the headlines, so much as giving them this unrequested notoriety gave them a possible means to support themselves and their offspring while they decide what they want to be now that they are grown-ups. 2) Parents should resist defending their children as “high school dropouts” by realizing that that horse has already got out the gate! They need to now be and act like grown ups for the sake of their child! Therefore, put high school behind and start thinking about education and college level equivalency! Or he could always consider a life on the fishing boats and her as susie homemaker! Whatever, they decide after the information is put forth to them.

dws3665 | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:53 am 40

I’m more than a little disappointed in the perpetuation (although I’m sure it will be defended as “ironic”) of the sexist tropes about Palin — “Gov GILF”? — on a liberal blog run largely by women.

Palin is awful as a national political force, but it has nothing to do with her lady parts and whether anyone wants to F them.

Waccamaw | Thursday January 1, 2009 09:58 am 41
In response to Hugh @ 14

Taught university for 30+ years and during that time a lot of transfer students came through the office door. If an advising folder had crossed my desk containing transcripts from a half-dozen colleges, red flags would have been predicting stormy weather ahead. A person who has floated around that much without completing a degree has educational problems and would have been likely to float on from our school as well. So……my reaction to palin’s educational background was clue the first that, mentally, she was very likely to be a few books short a library.

Note: there could be exceptions to the rule as in the spouse of a military person who was forced to pick up courses wherever the family was stationed.

Given the mother’s track record, it isn’t surprising the daughter might be even more educationally challenged.

msobel | Thursday January 1, 2009 10:14 am 42
In response to PapaZita @ 24

No, actually, guttenberg and other sites are available to convert into kindle format so Amazon has opened up the interface enough to let you load and document existing in a wide variety of formats, either via a usb port or for a minimal cost (a dime each) wireless send it to your kindle. They convert documents for free with a download.

I use a lot and I am reading more because of it. there are a lot of ways it could be improved but it is very useful as is. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K…..ailability for more details on sites.

msobel | Thursday January 1, 2009 10:15 am 43

I think we should avoid using sexist terms like GILF. It’s a slippery slope.

PierceNichols | Thursday January 1, 2009 10:19 am 44
In response to PapaZita @ 24

I have a Kindle — you can email yourself documents at a special email address and have them sent to you. Costs $0.10 if you have it delivered to your Kindle wirelessly… and free if you load it on yourself over USB. Being lazy and not particularly poor, I usually take the wireless route.

Sara | Thursday January 1, 2009 10:43 am 45

I notice no one mentioned that Levi’s mom will probably soon be off to the “Big House” for cooking meth in her home, at least she is indicted and will probably be standing trial. I would not expect there will be all that much support from the Paternal Grand-ma & Family given this situation.

The whole thing reminds me of a bad Soap Opera, where the writers have attempted to incorporate every possible source of family crisis ever dramatized. And perhaps this is the attraction of Palin — for those who see life as Soap Opera, they identify with her politics.

dakine01 | Thursday January 1, 2009 10:47 am 46
In response to Sara @ 45

Actually, per the Anchorage Daily News the drug in question was Oxycontin, not Meth.

Fern | Thursday January 1, 2009 12:41 pm 47
In response to Hugh @ 14

Okay, I disagree with you on this. You have to be reasonably smart to become an electrician. And good tradespeople do lots of problem-solving and critical thinking.

Some people are just better at hands-on learning than academic learning. And given that there is an acute shortage of electricians (partly because of everyone-should-go-to-college attitudes) and that electricians are well-paid, I don’t see the problem here.

marshen | Thursday January 1, 2009 02:31 pm 48

You will see Palin front and center in 2012, I guarantee it.

macaquerman | Thursday January 1, 2009 03:19 pm 49

tyuhi

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday January 1, 2009 03:30 pm 50

Was Bristol a purity ring kid? Is her Church into that? If so then becomes the poster child for birth control for teens!
Good kid from a good white well off very christian home and still she got knocked up.

docbets | Thursday January 1, 2009 07:26 pm 51
In response to SouthernDragon @ 29

I have developed a theory about the whole thing. Briefly: There is no 16 year old who does not know how to not make a baby. I have no doubt Levi knew about condoms. One can only conclude – and I saw it all over their faces from the start – that hstility runs that family. The girl got pg “accidentally on purpose” as an act of hostility toward her ambitious, narcissistic neglectful mother.

Mother Sarah, hostility seeping from her pores, figured to ignore it when McCain held out the brass ring, and when it had to be used to deflect the rumors about her own weird pg-experience last year, she didn’t blink. And she declared “They are going to find out how hard it is…” [hostility right there, but she changes course], “…that’s why we support them.”

It was classic narcissistic behavior (everything is about me and if it isn’t, make it about me; e.g., I am such a good person I can accept this) and it was a masterstroke of luck because she could hit back at the daughter’s hostile act by embarrassing her, even while making herself look “good” to the stupid who vote.

All that “family” stuff is bullshit of course. There is not a genuinely warm feeling flowing from that woman’s psyche, and butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth, so cold is she.

And all of them – each learning at her mother’s knee – have no reverence for life at all. Evidence: Big son goes to Iraq to kill and be killed. Mom doesn’t really pay attention to the kids and see their perspective; only her own. Big daughter, legitimately pissed but with no awareness or the language to speak it, has a baby. Everybody sings the Barney song and smiles while stabbing each other in the back.

There are people like this all over the place. Consider the popular vote tally for McCain-Palin. Moreover, their behavior is opaque to them. They have no idea what their actions really mean.