Rick Warren: The Serpent Who Believes in Dinosaurs

ribs-warren-rick.thumbnail.jpgWarren’s recorded remarks about science,  available on the Saddleback’s revised site, are very important for a couple reasons. Throughout his teachings, Pastor Rick reminds his followers that

The Bible commands us to remember the influence we have on an unbeliever.

Melissa Etheridge, are you listening?

This recording shows that Warren wants his followers to be nice while evangelizing to shift the view point of the scientific community away from science and towards a New Earth fundamentalist thought process (not to say that you can’t believe in God and in science).

More importantly, this snippet demonstrates that Warren feels that he and his followers should act nicely towards non-believers, gradually bringing them around to thinking along a fundamentalist lines, to "change" their ways of thinking.

It’s not them and us…To act like it’s them and us sets us a false barrier that we need to break through as believers…These are people who need to know Christ just like you and I need to know Christ. If you and I start to act like it’s a them and us kind of a thing we’re never gonna reach the scientific community or those who think qoute unquote scientifically…Obviously science is willing to change…

Here’s how Rick came to believe in creationism and rejection evolutionism (from a PDF of the site before it was revised):

I believed that evolution and the account of the Bible about creation could exist along side of each other very well. I just didn’t see what the big argument was all about. I had some friends who had been studying the Bible much longer than I had who saw it differently…Eventually, I came to the conclusion, through my study of the Bible and science, that the two positions of evolution and creation just could not fit together. There are some real problems with the idea that God created through evolution… My prayer is that you will have this same experience!

And just to let you know what that brainwashing experience entails, here’s what Pastor Rick said about dinosaurs:

The Bible’s picture is that dinosaurs and man lived together on the earth, an earth that was filled with
vegetation and beauty…man and dinosaurs lived at the same time…From the very beginning of creation, God gave man dominion over all that was made, even over the dinosaurs.

Warren also urges his followers to eschew in vitro fertilization and stem cell research:

*Deciding against any infertility options that allow embryos to be frozen and later discarded. (This is a tough decision for couples who have yet to have a child.)
*Deciding to speak out against overzealous stem cell research, even though you know it slows down the process of finding a possible cure for someone you love.

Rick Warren’s approach of being open and friendly is simply sneaky. He’s deceptive in his kindness, much like the fundamentalist’s snake.

32 Responses to "Rick Warren: The Serpent Who Believes in Dinosaurs"
dakine01 | Wednesday December 24, 2008 06:27 pm 1

Now I never have fully and completely read the entire King James bible but I did do a pretty fair job of getting past all the pieces of Genesis and most of the early books of the Old Testament.

And I’m pretty damn sure there is absolutely nothing in there in any way shape or form that discusses dinosaurs.

Now granted doG has a pretty fair sense of humor (why else have animals like the platypus or sloth or the Wide Doughy Pantload) but I also doubt that she really had the time and energy to seed the earth with dinosaur fossils of all types just to con us.

newtonusr | Wednesday December 24, 2008 06:34 pm 2

40 audio players on one page. Perfect for the Warren-follower who has all the skills… except reading.

They will continue to push this dogma as possible depending on how one interprets the “science.” Theirs, that man lived with triceratops and pterodactyl, is certainly within the bounds of the “possible.”

I’d say that’s just about right.

Thank you, Lisa!

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:40 pm 3

Digg this post right here

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:41 pm 4

Mods: This site will not let me embed a URL in a comment. I attempted to do so with comment no. 3 above without success.

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:41 pm 5

Please Digg this post at the top of the page.

newtonusr | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:45 pm 6
In response to neurophius @ 4

Dude, your shovel got a cold?
Digg here, too.

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:48 pm 7

Rick Warren’s view of human history:

copy and paste into your browser–this site will not allow me to embed a link

eCAHNomics | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:48 pm 8

Being uneducated in popular culture with a prejudice about the whole enterprise, let me ask the question in my blunt fashion: Is Melissa Etheridge a moron?

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:49 pm 9

OK, I guess it will allow me to provide a link–I just can’t embed it in a word.

What’s up with that?

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:51 pm 10

why doesn’t newton’s comment 6 have a Reply tag? You can’t reply to a reply?

OK, thanks, newt. I suppose know you are using one of those mcapple thingies…

eCAHNomics | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:52 pm 11
In response to neurophius @ 10

Has a reply button on my screen.

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:52 pm 12

the Melissa Etheridge reference is indeed cryptic.

translation, anyone?

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:53 pm 13

so maybe this site is telling me it’s time to just delete Internet Explorer from my PC?

or is it telling me to throw away my new PC?

eCAHNomics | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:54 pm 14
In response to neurophius @ 13

I’m using IE on PC and seems OK. Try rebooting?

newtonusr | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:55 pm 15
In response to neurophius @ 10

I think your P’o’C machine has the flu. java, Flash, sumptin.
I can see everything.

ratfood | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:55 pm 16
In response to neurophius @ 12

Melissa and her spouse have recently released statements defending Warren.

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:56 pm 17
In response to eCAHNomics @ 14

Thanks for the suggestion, eCAHN.

I am now in Firefox, and I see that your reply does indeed have a Reply button. Wonder what’s going on with all that.

Now, to reboot.

neurophius | Wednesday December 24, 2008 07:58 pm 18

hmmm, some of the Reply comments have a Reply button (eCAHN 14, neuro 17) while others don’t (newtonusr 15, ratfood 16)

definitely going to reboot.

bigbrother | Wednesday December 24, 2008 08:27 pm 19

Religion is based on faith, science is based on proven fact, hypothesis and theory.
Religions are an authoritarian scam that when getting power over government create chaos.They all claim to be the One religion. We have just witnessed 8 years of devastaion and destruction of Iraq, the global economy and the retirement safety net for the elderly and sick.
One of the proposals by these neocans was taking the social security trust fund and handing it over to wall street speculators. That would have devastaed the elderly of America.
The “Fundies” and “Neocons’ are a criminal element in our society vying to force us all to serve their dog. almost to the point of faith at the point of a sword. So why are we Listening to Warren at BO’s swearing in?

PapaZita | Wednesday December 24, 2008 08:34 pm 20
In response to eCAHNomics @ 8

She’s an entertainer, and most I’ve met (especially musicians) are narcissists. They could be intelligent about general matters, but it’s often hard to tell without actual conversation. Flattery is the way to a narcissist’s heart. Having said that, nothing she’s said convinces me she’s a moron. Or intelligent, come to that.

newtonusr | Wednesday December 24, 2008 08:35 pm 21
In response to ratfood @ 16

Can you imagine the email Melissa must be getting from fans and friends?
I can’t figure out if she has been swindled (unlikely) or if there’s a deal on the table (less likely), but it is quite odd.
And still, my heart goes out to her.

ratfood | Wednesday December 24, 2008 09:16 pm 23
In response to newtonusr @ 21

Best I can figure, Warren must be one charming SOB in person. Probably made a pact with the devil.

newtonusr | Wednesday December 24, 2008 09:24 pm 24
In response to ratfood @ 23

According to her HuffPo piece, she was stunned when, in their phone conversation, he praised her craft and told her he had all her records, and then greeted her warmly in person.

But that can’t be the whole story. The woman has millions of adoring fans, and few if any have written things suggesting that her life is illegitimate.

DWilson | Wednesday December 24, 2008 09:43 pm 25

The era of the Professional Sociopath,
The ignoramus have become the leaders,
The masses look for omens to chart their course,
Yes, the Dark Ages are upon us.

Otay | Wednesday December 24, 2008 09:51 pm 26

Does Obama really consider it good strategy to respect someone who also adds “modern-day flat-earther loon” to his resume, along with all of the other baggage that signals him as extreme?

Kassandra | Thursday December 25, 2008 06:45 am 27

God gave man dominion over all that was made, even over the dinosaurs.

Just think of all the trouble THAT little statement has done.

I fervently hope ( and pray, if that isn’t selfish)that Rick Warren ONLY gets his two minutes and Obama does not bring him under the tent as his “spiritual” adviser.
Nonetheless, this is going to give him legitimacy and probably more converts to his sick “church of hate”

Kassandra | Thursday December 25, 2008 06:46 am 28

I kinda wonder if all this belief that the dino’s walked the with MAN didn’t come from those Flintstones cartoons?
Some people just never grow up, do they?

DonQuisadorme | Thursday December 25, 2008 07:18 am 29

The bitter irony of modern American christianity is how they depend on all the products of the scientific enlightenment — modern medicine, telecommunications, computers, and the Internet — to gnaw at its very foundation in empirical reason. It’s all so self-destructive, really, and it would be funny if they weren’t dragging the rest of us down.

I blame Lincoln for keeping the bulk of these morons in the Union, and Reagan for giving them the keys to a major political party.

Synoia | Thursday December 25, 2008 10:35 am 30

Ye shall know them by their fruits.” Matt 7:16.

The word “fruit” used here is Strong’s Number 2590, which means “work, act, deed” [Strong’s Greek & Hebrew Dictionary]

Says it all.

ThingsComeUndone | Thursday December 25, 2008 10:42 am 31

Stem cells and in vitro could lead to cloning Man! Creating Life to Man being the equal of God!
Of course the the Scientist becomes the new priest/conduit to God then.
If the Rev had any real evidence he always could try and retry the Scopes Trial in Public Court.
But even with Scalia on the Bench the Fundies are not rushing to challenge that verdict.
Their side has had almost 100 years to prepare and they are still not ready.

reader | Thursday December 25, 2008 07:25 pm 32

This dinosaurs walking with man stuff is seriously nutty shit. And who’s nuttier? People who believe that or people who listen to ANYTHING people who believe such idiocy say?

I can’t believe I am even writing something about dinosaurs living 6,000 years ago???? Geez.

I think it’s worse than flat earthers. But they still seem to have more credibility than flat earthers and this dinosaur shit is crazier.

After all, the world does kinda look flat to each of us from where we stand.

But I haven’t seen ANY dinosaurs ever. Where did they go? If they were here 6,000 years ago what happened to them and when????

Huh?????

Oh, and if marriage has been defined for 5,000 years … what was the state of things in 6,000 years ago to 5,000 years ago? Was there marriage? Was marriage the same or different?

Egads.