O-Spam-A Musubi

spam_musubi.thumbnail.jpgThose rumors of President-Obama being a Muslim have been laid to rest by his very visible consumption of a porky pan-Asian fusion delicacy–well that’s what fancy food folks will be calling Spam musubi now that Obama noshed on one while playing golf yesterday, making the Hawaiian snack chic. Expect them at Inauguration parties.

Spam musubi is easy to make: Basically Spam on sushi rice, wrapped in nori. The pig bit can be fried, microwaved or grilled, with or without a marinade. A few brave souls serve the Spam straight from the can–after all is cooked.

Some people use a Spam musubi maker, a plastic box that you line with a sheet of nori before the rice and Spam get layered in. It makes for a prettier product. Other Spam musubi just has a nori ribbon around the mid section for a more rustic look.

If you want to get really multi-cultural, you could add garnishes of jalapeno pepper or a dab of jalapeno jelly, kalamata or green olive tapenade, a sliver of truffle, some fleur de sel or preserved lemon..seriously, Spam musubi will become the gastro-pub/tapas of 2009.

At least it wont give you mercury poisoning. Jeremy Piven, are you listening?

7 Responses to "O-Spam-A Musubi"
Phoenix Woman | Tuesday December 23, 2008 06:59 am 1

Spam musubi is the macaroni and cheese of Hawaii. It’s everywhere.

Meanwhile, Wonkette knows what’s really important: Pics of a nicely-ripped PEBO.

Phoenix Woman | Tuesday December 23, 2008 07:08 am 2

By the way: Lovely site design!

Lisa Derrick | Tuesday December 23, 2008 07:18 am 3

Yes, PEBO is quite nice…I am soooo glad we have a president who is actually fit, fine and foxy.

And thanks for the compliment on the site design–truly all props are due to and belong to the psychic brilliance and super skills of the Top Sekrit FDL Team who took my garbled “uh make it my favorite colors–but not black and red!–and I want it to look smart and sexy” –then *poof* it appeared fully formed. I can’t thank them enough!

Hopefully the content will live up the the awesome home that was designed for me.

puppethead | Tuesday December 23, 2008 12:46 pm 4

Just how “exotic” can Hawaii be, they eat a canned meat product from the heartland of America. SPAM (yes, officially all caps) is made in Austin, Minnesota. And the SPAM musubi has to have fewer calories than the SPAM curds I had at the Minnesota State Fair.

dakine01 | Tuesday December 23, 2008 12:55 pm 5
In response to puppethead @ 4

Well the “exotic” probably comes from the mix of the cultures plus the smells of all the tropical flowers and such.

As far as the SPAM, I think the finest fried wontons I ever had were over there and had SPAM as the filler.

SPAM is pretty much the ultimate comfort food for a lot of folks in the islands.

puppethead | Tuesday December 23, 2008 01:12 pm 6
In response to dakine01 @ 5

I was actually trying to mock Cokie Roberts and the others of the chattering class for calling Hawaii exotic, like it’s not part of America.

dakine01 | Tuesday December 23, 2008 01:17 pm 7
In response to puppethead @ 6

Having lived all over the US, including Hawaii for four years, I can attest that it is very much a part of the US and no more exotic than places like Key West or San Diego or even, yes Myrtle Beach.

But then, Cokie shows her idiocy and lack of knowledge and understanding about the US most every time she opens her mouth.