Melissa Etheridge Writes About Warren

melissaetheridge300.thumbnail.jpgOn the heels of her wife Tammy Lynne Michaels’ blog about Rick Warren, Melissa Etheridge posted her feeling about Pastor Rick on HuffPo.

After eloquently explaining the struggle for equal rights and her preconceptions of Pastor Rick, Etheridge describes her phone conversation with Warren:

He explained in very thoughtful words that as a Christian he believed in equal rights for everyone. He believed every loving relationship should have equal protection. He struggled with proposition 8 because he didn’t want to see marriage redefined as anything other than between a man and a woman. He said he regretted his choice of words in his video message to his congregation about proposition 8 when he mentioned pedophiles and those who commit incest. He said that in no way, is that how he thought about gays.

She goes on to say that maybe instead of marching on his church

we can show up en mass [sic] and volunteer for one of the many organizations affiliated with his church that work for HIV/AIDS causes all around the world. Maybe if they get to know us, they won’t fear us.

Well, okay…not to nit pick, but his church doesn’t believe in condoms or family planning for HIV/AIDS prevention, and works hard in Africa to proselytize his message of Jesus and abstinence, using HIV outreach as an evangelical tool. His church believes that gays who are actively practicing homosexuality are not welcome as members. And Warren says gays should suppress their urges the same way other people suppress anger or shyness.

Melissa, Warren and his ilk aren’t "afraid" of gays: They think gays are sinners who are convertible to their belief system, which includes no gay sex and straight sex only in marriage.

If you can get Warren to believe that civil marriage equality  does not mean a religious marriage..right on. If you can get him to expand his vision to have marriage be more than just a religious concept, that would be awesome. And, btw, he’s wrong about 5,000 years of marriage being solely between one man and one woman. There are plural marriages still in Islam, as there have been for 1500 years, as well as in the past history of the Mormon church and in current Mormon sects which allow for polygamy…

Many pray daily that closed minds like Warren’s are opened, that the scales will fall from the eyes of Pastor Rick and his ilk. But thinking that "they" are afraid is a wrong move. This type of Christian think they are right, and that (their) God is on their side. And there’s too much at stake in terms of worldly power and wealth to make a sudden sea change. But I do share Melissa’s view that:

…we are headed in the direction of marriage equality and equal protection for all families.

I just don’t share her views that Rick Warren could be a vehicle for that. But hey, if he gets Divine Revelation and sees the light–halla-freakin’-lujah!

15 Responses to "Melissa Etheridge Writes About Warren"
Teddy Partridge | Monday December 22, 2008 10:20 pm 1

Wow, a wealthy celebrity taken in by another wealthy celebrity. Color me surprised.

How does Warren’s affability and stagecraft get us to marriage equality, Melissa? Not sure about that yet, but I guess it’s great you’ve made a new friend.

Did you happen to ask him the names of the albums he owns of yours?

reader | Tuesday December 23, 2008 12:26 pm 2

Thanks, Lisa.

Warren wants rights for everyone but more rights for him and fewer rights for those he ”fears.” Gah. Again, we have Melissa’s report of what Warren says and now she is a messenger for her associates. Warren is not saying this to anyone else, is he?

He’s managing to co-opt Melissa to shut down opposition to Prop 8!

wagonjak | Tuesday December 23, 2008 01:20 pm 3

Mellisa and her illiterate and unreadable partner are getting “punked” by Warren…

They should both be ashamed of themselves for giving any cover to this homophobic a**hole!

Hugh | Tuesday December 23, 2008 01:25 pm 4

Maybe we can help finance fdl by selling Etheridge our shares in the Brooklyn Bridge. Trust us, Melissa, we’ll give you a really good deal.

basilbeast | Tuesday December 23, 2008 01:29 pm 5

I still have a bit of idealism left in me, Melissa’s suggestion might be good political theater. If nothing else, showing your face in the opposition’s homeground is good publicity.

Donchu think?

Grape | Tuesday December 23, 2008 02:20 pm 6

The great Jon Carrol of the San Francisco Chronicle weighed in on Warren today:

oldtree | Tuesday December 23, 2008 02:30 pm 7

The spots have mysteriously changed color and position on the horse that Warren rides. It is called “camouflage”. Why would someone suddenly use camouflage?

kala | Tuesday December 23, 2008 02:40 pm 8

i appreciate the message, Melissa, but it would work better for me if “Pastor Rick” would offer up his regret publically … or, perhaps, from his pulpit. that might give me reason to believe his sincerity is more than a fleeting response to the outrage many have expressed regarding his repulsive comments about LGBT citizens.

i’m listening, but if he isn’t able to conjur up his remorse publically i place little confidence in the line he’s selling you. he has the publics ear … i find it more than curious that he has kept his conversation about his regret private.

my $.02,
~itunkala

selise | Tuesday December 23, 2008 02:57 pm 9
In response to Grape @ 6

thanks for that link. i especially liked this bit:

Obama has chosen to start his administration with a bigot addressing God on behalf of the American people. Not the change I was hoping for.

There are all sorts of swell people streaming into Washington to celebrate the election of Barack Obama and to work for him. Also not swell people.

cinnamonape | Tuesday December 23, 2008 03:09 pm 10

I understand that Warren has scrubbed his website of all his most venomous and vitriolic comments on gays. I wonder if anyone has a snapshot who can show just what was excised…now that he is under scrutiny.

selise | Tuesday December 23, 2008 03:17 pm 11
In response to cinnamonape @ 10

i don’t know what you are looking for – have you tried the wayback machine>

ceartas | Tuesday December 23, 2008 04:24 pm 12

I did not contribute my sweat and money to the Obama campaign to place an agent of hate in a place of honor at OUR (change.gov says so) inauguration. Ms. Etheridge, just because a guy wears an Aloha shirt, treats you all warm and fuzzy, and says he loves you doesn’t mean it is true. After all, we already know he is a liar. Just because Barack Obama describes himself as a “fierce” advocate for LGBT rights, doesn’t mean he actually is anything but a pol looking for a buck and a vote.

So, here’s the view from under the bus: It’s time for action.

I have asked the Obama campaign to remove my name from their fundraising lists. I am sending my Obama-Biden t-shirt to the White House, for delivery on Inauguration day. I wrote “No Hope for Queers” on it in Magic Marker. I have friends who have returned their invitations to the inaugural, and others who are packing extra shoes (pink, maybe) to communicate with Rev. Warren on a personal level. The LGBT for Obama sticker has been torn from the bumper of my jeep.

The Dems in general and Obama in particular have treated the LGBT community like a giant ATM, pushing all the right buttons, grabbing the cash and turning their backs.

Queer folk, I beseech you. Do not turn your cheeks, unless you like ‘em really, really rosy.

Cellar47 | Tuesday December 23, 2008 04:50 pm 13

Millineryman | Tuesday December 23, 2008 07:34 pm 14

My comment to Melissa’s post

You’re entitled to your view, and I have to say I don’t agree with it. If you don’t see how Rick is playing with the winds of change to keep himself relevant, then so be it. The gravy train has left the station with the defeat of Bush and the religious right, and now the power hungry are sucking up to change. With an electoral landslide and approval ratings hoovering at 80% they don’t have a choice.

Will Rick Warren ask the CA Supreme Court to overturn Prop8? If he feels so bad about it then let his actions speak louder then his empty words. Let him make a commercial denouncing his words so it balances out the statement he made.

I think he played you with the opening line about being such a fan. Amazing how you and Obama are willing to take action to alienate your supporters and fellow second class brothers and sisters, yet Rick gets to hug, pout and not demonstrate anything you claim he’s sorry for. That’s not change for me to believe in, that’s surrender.

runfastandwin | Tuesday December 23, 2008 08:32 pm 15

I have faith in Obama, so far he’s done everything right, I believe he knows what he is doing. What is he doing?